Author Topic: U-2 Flight  (Read 930 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
U-2 Flight
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2003, 11:19:03 AM »
WOW, where do you find that stuff.
Anyway, are none of these remote controlled? A video camera instead of a Pilot, and us AH'ers are in business:D :D :D
Seriously, a thing like these is plain scary. "Pilot" immune to G-loads, plane small and cheap, see a enemy raid coming in and launch a few of them
They don't panic, theill kill in cold blood, and they don't give a rats arse about surviving as long as they can kill more value of enemies. With these around things are going to change, and yes, maybe in our lifespan.
Still curious about the AI aspect though. Will AI control nowadays beat a clever human pilot? In those Sims, it sure does not.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
U-2 Flight
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2003, 03:06:21 PM »
Holy cow!!!!!!!!!
You're right, really. The human part would be only to make the bigger decisions, and things like planning and so on.
Once in a furball, even our G-load-fatique independed computer FE would be to slow, - small little nasties like these would simply be too fast for our brain!!!!!
Holy Cow again Gscholz!!!!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
U-2 Flight
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2003, 03:11:53 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz

About the AI issue, consider this: A human pilot's adaptability and cleverness is mostly applied in planning a mission and adapting the plan as the battle progresses. The human controller can still do this with the information the UAV relays back. Now when contact is made consider this: 50 UAV's clash with a similar number of piloted fighters. The fighter pilots use radio and data-link to coordinate the battle, giving check six' and missile warnings. They strain under heavy G-loads trying to evade missiles while alarms ring in their ears, they gray out and really have no idea where their friends are except maybe for wingmen, they get their missiles off the rails, but with little coordination. The UAV's know exactly were everyone is, they never fire at the same target, they sort out the bandits threat level in milliseconds and launch their missiles the millisecond their within optimal range. Their maneuverability match or even exceed that of the incoming missiles. They buzz back and forth crossing each other's radar signatures in a display that would put the Red Arrows to shame confusing both missiles and pilots while constantly jamming everything ... except the rotating frequencies used by their sensors at that particular millisecond. The outcome is pretty much predetermined ... don't you think?

I would say it would be time to launch a proton torpedo!

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
U-2 Flight
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2003, 04:43:00 PM »
Yeah, it'd be like bullseye'ing womprats in my T-16 back home.

I'm waiting for someone to build a special Sidewinder magazine (like the ones on B-52s that are used for firing Tomahawks, revolver style) to mount in a plane (like a C-130 or B-52) that could take targetting data on multiple inbound targets, assign a target to each missile, then pickle off 10-20 Sidewinders at once from the internal launcher.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
U-2 Flight
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2003, 05:10:29 PM »
The UAV's know exactly were everyone is, they never fire at the same target, they sort out the bandits threat level in milliseconds and launch their missiles the millisecond their within optimal range. Their maneuverability match or even exceed that of the incoming missiles. They buzz back and forth crossing each other's radar signatures in a display that would put the Red Arrows to shame confusing both missiles and pilots while constantly jamming everything ... except the rotating frequencies used by their sensors at that particular millisecond. The outcome is pretty much predetermined ... don't you think?

Unless Microsoft win the contract for the software...

Offline bounder

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
U-2 Flight
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2003, 05:30:19 PM »
These have to be the source of many UFO sightings, right? What freaky looking things.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
U-2 Flight
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2003, 12:01:07 PM »
This Boeing technology demonstrator shows the shape of things to come. Technology developed in this and other projects will undoubtedly be used in future UAV's. IMHO it is likely that within our lifetimes we will have the dubious "pleasure" to see fully autonomous machines "predating" upon human beings.

I'm not pickin' on ya here GScholz but your statement reminded me of the old Star Trek episode where war between a couple of planets was conducted by computer and the calculated casualties simply reported to the disintegration chambers on their own.

James Kirk saved them from their prolonged war by disabling their computer if i remember correctly.

Anyhow, while it made an entertaining hour episode it was bullsh*t. War hasn't stopped throughout our past millennia simply because it was up close, personal, and brutal. Rather we've simply gotten more effective at it.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
U-2 Flight
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2003, 12:07:09 PM »
Lol guys! When I'm eighty-something watching the news in the retirement home and I see a report of how the US drone-carrier "USS Grunherz" or perhaps the EU "KM Judge Hortlund" have swatted the air force of a small 3rd would country, I'll be yelling; "Hey diapersqueak! Get me the vidphone, I'm gonna call Cairboy and Habu! ... What?! Their dead you say?! ... Well darn, I guess I'll tell them when I see them in hell ... I told you so!" :D

Edit: Fixed a misidentification.

I hope you live to 110 GScholz and the last thing you hear is my voice coming over the voice com asking how you are doing.