Author Topic: Pokie!  (Read 463 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Pokie!
« on: February 18, 2003, 06:13:45 PM »
I made a mistake and found out something interesting........

I resampled alot of the object textures and i work with them at least twice if not four times their original size in 24-bit mode.

I reverted the cv object textures back to 8-bit but forgot to resample them back to original size and guess what...

they still work at 512x512 pixels. May not seam to be much to most, but having to be able to have twice the info we will be  able make them twice as detailed:)

NUTTZ

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Pokie!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 07:12:04 PM »
Yes, I was aware of this.  Even had bmp like the City.bmp which is originally at 64 X 64 increased to 1024 X1024.

This definitly would increase details.

The only thing about ding this is, that it will increases the .res file size.  May not be much if it isn't done to too many bmp's.

P.S  I wouldn't think it would affect frame rate but I don't know.

Pokie

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Pokie!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 07:28:38 PM »
P.S  I wouldn't think it would affect frame rate but I don't know.

I think it would.  It does in other 3D games when you use "hi rez" textures that are some multiple bigger than the originals.  

Anybody here do the wargame Combat Mission?  The mod community there is big on doubling the size of the textures to show more details.  And this looks great.  Problem is, having to load the larger textures all the time eventually creates FPS problems.  Depending on your system, it might hit you sooner or later than for others, but it will hit you if you do substantial replacement with larger textures.

In Combat Mission, reduced FPS isn't that much of a problem because you can rewind the film and watch it again from a different angle as many times as you want.  In a realtime game like AH, however, the FPS hit could be devastating.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Pokie!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 07:47:01 PM »
I thought HT said this was possible, but would not be accepted in user submissions? Not everyone has a video card with more then 32megs I believe was the reason.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Pokie!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 08:02:52 PM »
I wish to have 512x512 pix bitmap.
Thats give much detailed aircrafts and any other ground stuff.

But game will be unplayable for most of users with gf2 and older videocards.

Just try to  drive on tank citty Trynity terrain, my fps lower from  usual 45 to 13 fps.

For example Il2 use 512x512 pix bitmaps.
And on thos area are placed whole aircraft from nose to tail including wing and cockpit. For outside aircraft view its looks better then old AH skins. New skin in AH are painted much better, with compared level of details to  IL2.

I just discover other thing. Engine of AH imho give possibilyty to use many layers of bitmaps on one object
Il2 have one layer to show undamaged and secound for aircraft with dmg. /holes after bullets hit/
I supose HTC can give us the same

Correct me if im wrong  HT;)

ramzey

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Pokie!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 08:05:20 PM »
Been there, done that. I haven't reached a limit yet but to be honest I haven't really tried. I have a 9 base map I use for LAN H2H with quite a few aircraft skinned in 1024x1024. You can't tell the difference unless your flying in formation less than 100 away from each other.

Gatso

(My Typh and Temp in 1024 res)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 08:35:06 PM by gatso »

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Pokie!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 08:19:13 PM »
Well you could at least bump the bmp to a max. of 256 X 256

Pokie

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Pokie!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 08:16:57 AM »
Originally posted by ramzey
But game will be unplayable for most of users with gf2 and older videocards.

Just try to  drive on tank citty Trynity terrain, my fps lower from  usual 45 to 13 fps.
You think that's bad? I have a 2.5Ghz P4 and GeForce4 TI4600 with 128mb Ram. When I enter Trinity's city my frame rate drops from a constant 100 to 20 and it's gone as low as 9 in some circumstances.

IMHO, while a good idea, that city never should have been allowed.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Pokie!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 09:11:13 AM »
Originally posted by NHawk
You think that's bad? I have a 2.5Ghz P4 and GeForce4 TI4600 with 128mb Ram. When I enter Trinity's city my frame rate drops from a constant 100 to 20 and it's gone as low as 9 in some circumstances.

IMHO, while a good idea, that city never should have been allowed.

just swich back to 1024x768;)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Pokie!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2003, 10:58:15 AM »
Originally posted by ramzey
just swich back to 1024x768;)
LOL!! That's where I am!
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Pokie!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 11:12:01 AM »
lol i have gf2 32mb and 1024x768 resolution, are u sure about your  PC?;)  mby somone cheat U ;) :D