Author Topic: graphics engine on AH2  (Read 4405 times)

Offline jconradh

• Zinc Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2003, 11:01:23 AM »
Wealsan, I mean no disrespect, unfortunately Alienware is overpriced.  You might want to drop your spec to: $4312.51 .

Their case is just an overpriced Chieftech.  All of the other parts are comercially available and many shops custom build gaming PC's for no more extra than what they custom build business PC' .

Believe me when we build either a business machine, or a gaming one, we know how to set them up for the most stable running at best performance (we game too ).

I have close friends who fly AH and one of the other competing WWII sims (shall remain nameless here) and they came to me for their machines.  We did not let them down.

That extra money is the next set of flightsims, or a really great 20" flat panel monitor.

:D

Regards,

Jeff

Offline AronL

• Zinc Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2003, 12:14:22 PM »
the new specs may make alot of players go away :(

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2003, 12:25:41 PM »
The new specs might make even more STAY with the game instead of bailing for something that looks a lot prettier.

Your computer is not an underwood typewriter.  It will not be as effective 50 years after you purchased it as it is new.  It is not a car that will drive the same roads 20 years after rolling off the showroom floor.  It is not even an MRE, just as tasty 10 years after being made is it is new.  Your computer is more like a gallon of milk.  When you buy it, it tastes great, but as the days pass, it loses its luster.  

If you expect to buy a computer and still play the modern games 5 years later, you're probably fooling yourself.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline AronL

• Zinc Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2003, 12:30:25 PM »
you are so mean to me, i cant help it if i am poor :(

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2003, 02:24:52 PM »
rob a bank, get a loan, sell a kidney

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2003, 03:16:02 PM »
lol bendover

Offline honda346

• Zinc Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2003, 12:35:13 PM »
GeForce 2 as a standard is too low IMHO. Anyone buying a computer from 2000 and beyond couldn't get a GeForce 2 if they wanted one.  That whole group of people is under-utilizing their system (and I would bet more than 75% of the current subscribers have better).

Why don't we see some kind of survey by HiTech go out to all of their subscribers and see the results?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2003, 05:28:38 PM »
There was a survey done but long ago, I agree its time for another one....

SKurj

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2003, 04:59:57 PM »
My specs:
PIII 667
GeForce Ti4200
256mg

Avg. frame rate 45 - 50

I am going to upgrade the CPU, MoBo, and go to 512mb ram only because of AHII.  PriceGrabber here I come!!
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2003, 05:58:48 PM »
But alienware has got all those wild colors.

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Is AH2 gonna support Open GL?
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2003, 06:40:24 PM »
Is AH2 gonna support Open GL? I heard that Open GL is smoother than DirectX

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2003, 07:51:10 PM »
OpenGL used to be smoother/better then ActiveX, but that hasn't been true for a couple years.  Microsoft worked very closely with companies like nVidia and current DirectX stuff is superior to its OpenGL counterpart.

If OpenGL support were to be added, it would likely be to make the task of porting the sim to other platforms (like Mac or Linux) easier.  

There probably wouldn't be a performance increase, though.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2003, 08:03:56 PM »
Your avatar pic looks like that 'Kasuf' guy in 'Stargate' flick :D

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2003, 08:34:44 PM »
Heh, indeed it does.  Funny you mention Stargate, I'm building a model Stargate w/ working dialing ring.  I've built a prototype out of wood and have a working dialing computer (uses a modified servo for motor) that already dials, gives power to leads that will light up each of the chevrons, and gives power to leads that will run small solenoids that will engage and dis-engage the chevrons as each coordinate locks in.  I'm planning on using a an ISD chip (ICs that record and playback sound) so it makes the right sounds as it dials, locks coordinates, and activates.

How's that for an odd look into the life outside of AH of a fellow player?

Vital stats:
It'll be 1.5' wide
Dialing computer uses OOPIC microcontroller
MAX232 for voltage regulating the serial line
HS-300 servo, modified for continuous rotation
Optical sensor to track where in the rotation, and a magnetic hall sensor to calibrate once a turn.

I'll be sure to post pics to O-Club when it's ready.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
graphics engine on AH2
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2003, 02:00:01 AM »
wern't you one of the guys who called the guy who made the armour on here a geek?

Maybe you'll be able to make it as a promational item if they make another series