Author Topic: CH vs Cougar ?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2003, 05:19:54 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
By the way... your average limp wristed CH user can't even lift a Cougar.  

MiniD

Did you ever see the photo of Mietla's Cougar that fell off his chair onto shag carpet?  It cracked right in half.  Two pieces.  You could play soccer with a CH throttle before it would fall apart like that.  :)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2003, 05:21:41 PM »
Here ya go:

So much for "rugged metal construction".  :)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2003, 06:06:36 PM »
What baffles me is why they would go to the trouble to make a joystick completely out of metal, and then go with plastic for the main support brace on the throttle.  That was more than adequate for the TQS, but since the TQS weighed all of 4 ounces, there would never be any sudden force on that brace.  They must've either had a penny pincher or someone without any common sense in charge of that decision.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2003, 06:30:18 PM »
I saw that funkedup.. But then... an 11 pound object fell and hit at the tip of the lever.  Mietla even said it landed right at the end of the handle.  That's enough to break most things.

And, I'll take you up on that soccer with a CH throttle suggestion.  Its all they're really good for anyways.

I do find the fact that you're from SF and a CH fan to be somewhat scary.  But then... I am a homophobe.

MiniD

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2003, 06:31:52 PM »
The part of the stick you illustrated is the only plastic part on the HOTAS and I very much doubt the CH Throttle would take 8lb's of weight dropped on it as that's what the Cougar throttle unit weigh's.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2003, 09:34:22 PM »
Thats nothing you should see what a cutting torch will do to the things. I mean come on you would think that a Cougar would be able to stand up to intense heat; after all it is made of metal. ;)

DISCLAIMER: Any fool that would be dumb enough to put their Cougar up against a cutting torch needs to send me the Cougar immediately. I am starting a Cougar Rescue Organization; calling it "popsicle Cat Rescue of America". If you feel the need to damage your Cougar in any way please send it to me immediately. You can reach me via email through my profile. :D
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2003, 12:22:27 AM »
Blah blah blah weight blah blah blah design blah blah blah

Shuddup and refer to the Scoreboard:

Shag Carpet 1
Overpriced Metal Phallus 0

:)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 12:25:02 AM by funkedup »

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2003, 02:40:36 AM »
Why are you thinking about my noodle?

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2003, 06:12:45 AM »
Another setup a bit costless is : MSforce Feed Back2 + CH throttle.

Dunno if it's good I use a X45 myself :)

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2003, 07:07:46 AM »
LOL Funked's got an inferiority complex when it comes to your phallus and the Cougar SOB :)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2003, 07:25:34 AM »
One thing about the Cougar:

You can't get spare parts, they refuse to supply them.

If any one knows where I can get a Cougar throttle pot, I'd be very gratefull :(

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2003, 08:12:44 AM »
Seeker> TM have supplied many others with pots, not sure why they would not supply them to you?

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2003, 12:29:15 PM »
I have had both sets, as well as the X45 in the last year.

The Cougar was very cool, I used an F22 setup for years and the programming/etc was very familiar.  I used the cougar for about 6 months with no pot troubles.

The one thing I hated was the impresicion around the center.  No matter how many hundreds of curves and settings both in the Cougar setup and AH that I tried could I ever find something that gave me the precision for both long range shooting and non-nose bounce snap shots that CH gave me.

I'm one of the few with this complaint, other than that the Cougar was 100% for me, I just got tired of missing shots that I was used to hitting, and 6 months was a long enough trial period to try and get used to it.

Went back to CH stuff, k/d and accuracy went up by a factor of 2 in a month.

Honestly Hristo, I'd buy the Cougar, you probably will have better luck than I, as I think mine may have been defective (3/4 inch slop around center about 2 days after opening it), and plugging in a cheap set of gameport pro peddals works very well with it.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2003, 12:07:06 AM »
I am really really trying to be objective again with TM. But it is getting harder.

My gripe with F22 and TQS was never about plastic parts or even hats not working. It was much simpler - bad quality pots and center play. IMO, they "fixed" what was not needed (plastic -> metal), but left the glaring weakness - jitter and center play.

They said USB would take care of that. They said new pots are nothing like the old ones. They said their resolution was way higher (what does that have to do with spiking ??). They even said I am a CH employee who is trolling around Cougar boards.

Again, thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2003, 12:13:40 AM by Hristo »

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
CH vs Cougar ?
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2003, 01:07:57 AM »
Mine still has center play.
I will be getting a fix for it. But it will be pricey