Author Topic: KOTH adjustments #2 <G>  (Read 568 times)

Offline Dano

• Zinc Member
      • Danosacm.com
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« on: February 24, 2003, 04:33:39 PM »
I would like to start a thread for the purpose of getting some feedback from the Aces High community about the monthly KOTH events.

What do yall feel should be changed, added, removed etc?

One thing that I would like to see is a dedicated KOTH map/arena, where the ground level is truly 0 feet.
I would also like to see the actual playing area extended. I feel that the current setting is too small. We have had several instances of people, whether on purpose or not, starting on someone's 6 at the start of the round.
Finaly, I do like the idea of the "drop" in at the start, however, it's just tough for some people to get control, remember to put the gear up and then get started with the round. I feel that a good solution to this problem would be to have the starting FH up on a plateau at 5k like there are in the DT.

Any other suggestions, squeakes, gripes or complaints?

Dano
<S> Dano
Few problems in life cannot be fixed without the precise placement of high explosives. --Ukn
ACM Tip: Keep the bad guy out front and squeeze the trigger when the little black dot is on them.
http://www.danosacm.com/

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 04:40:27 AM »
Haven't flown a KOTH yet, so I don't know what you've got for a map in there now, but it sounds an awful lot like the old Wild Wednesdays.  Ever thought of resurrecting that map?

edit: just read the other thread in the GD forum, seems I'm not the only one to suggest this.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 08:04:34 AM by mjolnir »

Offline AndyH

• Copper Member
      • http://www.ahope.myby.co.uk/wod/
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 11:34:38 AM »
Is there any interest for a euro Koth? 10pm EST is a wee bit too late for me.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 08:03:01 PM »
Hi everyone!,

I am the host for the KOTH events and would like to hear everyone's (KOTH participants) opinions about the points that DANO has made...  Nothing is ever "set-in-stone", however, I need to know what the community wants...

CYasUp!

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 08:04:51 PM »
AndyH,

It really hasn't been discussed...  I'm sure if we had enough Euro's interested, we could get a Euro-CM to host it at a convienient time for you.

CYasUp!

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 09:47:24 PM »
I agree we should have 5k of space beneath the 'cruise altitude' and also agree that cruising on someones 6 pre-fight is a BIG no-no. I think that is partly a rule issue because new commers may still do that even if we have a larger flying area. I don't think we need a flat terrain but certainly one with rolling hills one or two hundred feet high at most. I do like the walls to prevent 'out of bounds' and also think a slightly larger dedicated KOTH terrain would be nice. I dabbled at it but now Ma had a heart attack so we are caring for her and my Uncle so I couldn't devote time to it or even attend the last KOTH.
The starting drop.. hmmmm, I think it has good points and bad. I prefer climbing to altitude for a few reasons. Climbing somewhat penalizes late takeoffs and kind of prevents being too high at the 'FIGHT' call. That small amount of time we do climb would allow view adjustments for those who haven't flown that crate before.
The bad points are mainly for people unfamiliar with the drop start, like ripping your gear, and sometimes new comers do not get down to the cruise altitude unless they are warned a few times.
Also, a strong understanding of the rules goes a long way. Of course new comers will have questions but we could put the rules in the MOTD display [ if they aren't already ].
I still like the no engine cut-off rule, which may be tough to validate if an early Spit or Hurri is now picked with fuel cut-off in negative G  situations. When dealing with Me163 flights, fuel burn rate adjustments would be better than changine this rule.
Feedback also appreciated on my ideas.

fuzeman

oops, I fergot   back at ya
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 05:29:33 AM »
Originally posted by AndyH
Is there any interest for a euro Koth? 10pm EST is a wee bit too late for me.

Absolutely!  Never really realized how poor the timing on a lot of these events are until I got stationed over here in the UK.  

And I still think the WW map would fit the bill for this.  The fights started up a bit higher than 5k, but they usually ended up down low anyway.  And there was a set ceiling with a really nasty wind layer that would shred any plane that tried to go higher.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 05:51:37 AM »
Originally posted by mjolnir
Absolutely!  Never really realized how poor the timing on a lot of these events are until I got stationed over here in the UK.  

ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!ME TOO!

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Re: Re: KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 08:36:28 PM »
Originally posted by fuze
I agree we should have 5k of space beneath the 'cruise altitude' and also agree that cruising on someones 6 pre-fight is a BIG no-no. I think that is partly a rule issue because new commers may still do that even if we have a larger flying area. I don't think we need a flat terrain but certainly one with rolling hills one or two hundred feet high at most. I do like the walls to prevent 'out of bounds' and also think a slightly larger dedicated KOTH terrain would be nice. I dabbled at it but now Ma had a heart attack so we are caring for her and my Uncle so I couldn't devote time to it or even attend the last KOTH.
The starting drop.. hmmmm, I think it has good points and bad. I prefer climbing to altitude for a few reasons. Climbing somewhat penalizes late takeoffs and kind of prevents being too high at the 'FIGHT' call. That small amount of time we do climb would allow view adjustments for those who haven't flown that crate before.
The bad points are mainly for people unfamiliar with the drop start, like ripping your gear, and sometimes new comers do not get down to the cruise altitude unless they are warned a few times.
Also, a strong understanding of the rules goes a long way. Of course new comers will have questions but we could put the rules in the MOTD display [ if they aren't already ].
I still like the no engine cut-off rule, which may be tough to validate if an early Spit or Hurri is now picked with fuel cut-off in negative G  situations. When dealing with Me163 flights, fuel burn rate adjustments would be better than changine this rule.
Feedback also appreciated on my ideas.
oops, I fergot   back at ya

All good points Fuze...  And are being taken into consideration... I'll post my assessment later this week & sumarize what each of you have coverred, in all the different forums....  Incidenatally, KOTH for March is scheduled for the 28th!

CYasUp!

Offline Dano

• Zinc Member
      • Danosacm.com
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 12:08:53 PM »
BigMax,
In response to your question about suggestions on how to get this event bigger and better, see if you can get with STICK and find out what you need to do to see if CH Products would be willing to sponsor KOTH again.
Each month they would let the winner select upto $100 worth of product from them. STICK also managed to close a deal for a years subscription to some kind of flying magazine (I forget which one right now.)

Hmm, just a thought, but since HiTech is fronting cash for winners in the MA, why not ask him to set aside some for the KOTH winner? Whether it's a free month of Aces High or some other cash reware.

Food for thought.
Dano
<S> Dano
Few problems in life cannot be fixed without the precise placement of high explosives. --Ukn
ACM Tip: Keep the bad guy out front and squeeze the trigger when the little black dot is on them.
http://www.danosacm.com/

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 12:54:34 PM »
Dano, that IS good food and a good idea.
Even though I have about the same chance of getting a KOTH prize as I do of cash in the MA... but that's another story :)

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 04:36:36 PM »
Originally posted by Dano
BigMax,
In response to your question about suggestions on how to get this event bigger and better, see if you can get with STICK and find out what you need to do to see if CH Products would be willing to sponsor KOTH again.
Each month they would let the winner select upto $100 worth of product from them. STICK also managed to close a deal for a years subscription to some kind of flying magazine (I forget which one right now.)

Hmm, just a thought, but since HiTech is fronting cash for winners in the MA, why not ask him to set aside some for the KOTH winner? Whether it's a free month of Aces High or some other cash reware. Dano

I've never seen a post from STICK... Anyone got an email addy on him?

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2003, 04:40:23 PM »

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
KOTH adjustments #2 <G>
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2003, 07:58:25 PM »
Thanks...

Email sent!