Author Topic: AT Guns: A Request  (Read 570 times)

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
AT Guns: A Request
« on: March 04, 2003, 03:54:33 AM »
One thing I would like to see in AH is the use of Anti-Tank guns, preferably in batteries of 2 or 3 guarding a base.

One reason I would like to see this implimented is that I hate loosing a Panzer or Tiger to a rapid-firing manned 37mm AP field ack (I assume it is still AP since it seems to kill even Tigers). The field ack seem to be just as potent as the old Ostwinds were when they had AP rounds.

The benefits: AT gun batteries could be placed in such a way to cover both the field and the town, something that the manned ack cannot do in it's current state. The AT guns would be manned like all manned guns at a field, which would allow base defenders to provide anti-gv protection even after the VH is down (so long as the AT guns are "alive"). This would also increase the need of attacking gvs to bring HE rounds in order to kill the AT guns (although the AT guns should be spread out enough that one HE round cannot take out multiple guns). Conversly, aircraft would be able to take out the AT guns with relative ease since they would be susceptible to mg fire (to represent the killing of the gun crews).

Small fields and Vbases could get one battery in between the base and the town while the larger ones could get more batteries. Obviously the AT guns should not be able to fire on the enemy gv spawn points or vice versa. I think the AT gun (if implimented) should be able to take out Panzer IVs at relatively long ranges while having a tougher time taking out Tigers unless at relatively short ranges. The whole idea is to take the AT aspect out of the manned ack while replacing it with a more effective system that is still vulnerable enough, due to it's weaknesses to aircraft and HE, that it does not compromise a gv attack all by itself.

Comments?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2003, 03:57:17 AM by emodin »

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 04:27:52 AM »
good idea

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 07:53:28 AM »
Good well thought out post.

Hopefully HT is listening.  :)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 08:13:53 AM »
AT guns... well in that case I suggest an 88mm..
With AA capability +)

Almost not unheard of ..

SKurj

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 11:57:23 AM »
Originally posted by SKurj
AT guns... well in that case I suggest an 88mm..
With AA capability +)

Almost not unheard of ..

SKurj

Ports and large fields do have 88mm acks, just can't man them.

It's an idea for the large fields to maybe have one battery of 88mm guns for gv defense. I like this idea.

And if we had Napalm...one Naplam strike  could take out an entire battery of guns. That would be sweet ;)

Elfie
Armageddon Pile-it

HiTech give us Napalm
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 02:52:27 PM »
To be honest, I would prefer that they NOT be german 88mm AT guns. The main reason being that this would make the field defenses too powerful. Who would pay perk points to up a Tiger to attack a field when a guy can man an AT gun for free and pop you in one shot? After all, AT guns have a much higher muzzel velocity due to the fact that they didn't have to shorten the barrel to put it in a turrent (IIRC).

Something along the lines of a US 76mm, German 75mm, or a British 6 pounder is more along the lines of what I'd like to see.

Oh, and another benefit to this over the manned field ack is that you would actually be able to see when one is shooting at you since it would have traces that the tanks currently use. This way you could actually see if something was shooting at you and where it was coming from (no more trying to figure out which of the manned ack is the one shooting at you).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2003, 02:55:01 PM by emodin »

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
88mm and Napalm...
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 03:06:01 PM »
I would Love to be able to man 88mm in large airfields. It's my Favorite gun on the carriers. give us 3 or 4 on a large field to man. It woukld take a much larger organized force of fighters or a conventional high-alt Bomb run to really take the base. Also , model in buffeting for ack blasts at alt...

Now Napalm *Droool* Would just be awsome to behold. I don't think there is ANY game of any genre that currently boasts Napalm as a weapon of choice. I would spend hours apun hours hurling napalm from F4U's and other craft, just to watch it explode. :D

2Hawks

Offline PrillerJ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 03:34:13 PM »
How abt a towed 88??? So u can bring an 88 :-) sdkfz and 88 implemented in 1.. 1 is driver 2 is rangfinder 3 is gunsight. And u gonna stop the Sdkfz and deploy the 88..., Make both a AA and AT version (I guess its just the same gun, dont know if they made a AT version of this gun or if it is just a AA version capabel of fireing AT rnds):confused: :confused:

Offline Major_Hans

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 06:25:46 PM »
This is all assuming that the capture of bases will be the same as they are now.

What will you do if the capture of territory is completely different?

Offline Feenyx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2003, 07:58:24 PM »
Hans, even if the capture system changes, airfields and vehicle bases are always going to be strategic targets which are going to need defensive capabilities.

I think AT guns at airbases is a great idea, and I'd personally like to see it implemented.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Re: 88mm and Napalm...
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2003, 08:48:12 PM »
Originally posted by 2Hawks

Now Napalm *Droool* Would just be awsome to behold. I don't think there is ANY game of any genre that currently boasts Napalm as a weapon of choice. I would spend hours apun hours hurling napalm from F4U's and other craft, just to watch it explode. :D

napalm? against who u plan tu use them? no troops in the jungle here

ramzey

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2003, 07:39:49 AM »
The AT guns would have to be placed in some kind of hardened area...  there is no cover.. with a tiger advancing they'd be dead before it got in range without cover (which we'd all have memorized in a day or two anyways)

SKurj

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: 88mm and Napalm...
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2003, 09:28:25 AM »
Originally posted by ramzey
napalm? against who u plan tu use them? no troops in the jungle here

ramzey

Napalm could be used against any target we currently drop hard bombs on. I would like to see Napalm just so I could drop it on a nme gv's head:D

Napalm strikes were one of the most effective ways to take out the heavy German armor.

Elfie
Armageddon Pile-it

HiTech give us Napalm
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2003, 04:37:40 PM »
i didnt read all these posts..

but i did make a posts about mannable 88's...

that woudl be kik asss

But..did the germans only have Pressure sensitive fuses..set for altitudes..or did they ever have proxy fuzes...i dont think they did..

BiGB
xoxo

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2003, 08:20:35 PM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW

But..did the germans only have Pressure sensitive fuses..set for altitudes..or did they ever have proxy fuses...i dont think they did..

BiGB
xoxo

Proximity fuzes was an allied invention and when they first came out, they were only used on allied ships or fired towards the ocean to prevent any duds possibly falling into enemy hands.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: March 07, 2003, 01:11:25 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song