Author Topic: Autoland  (Read 377 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Autoland
« on: March 05, 2003, 11:42:54 AM »
Sparks brough this up in another post but.......actually autoland does work in certain planes.   C47 and ME163 for sure, I'll try some others and see......

here's how:

Make a normal approach, very low to the ground.  As you reach the runway you should be on full flaps, gear down and level as low as possible over the runway.  Actual airspeed doesnt really matter at this point.

Get as low as possible over the runway (like under 10ft) and just hit X and close the throttle.  The nose will rise for a second as the autopilot sorts it's knickers out and then go level, then you'll hear the stall horn start to whine and the ROC indicator will show a shallow decent......then just wait.  Perfect touchdown every time.

Doesnt work if you're missing parts though.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Autoland
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 11:54:40 AM »
At that point, you might as well just land it yourself.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Autoland
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 11:56:21 AM »
Not really, you dont need to worry about speed, flare, bouncing or torque.

Plus it's kinda cool to watch sideways as the plane lands itself.

Oh and yes, I did find this out one night when the cat decided it wanted to learn to fly.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Autoland
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 12:15:39 PM »
I like the classic, "Hey watch Curval" style landings..as performed the other night.  While squaddies sat in the Tower waiting for me to land I pranged...bounced about half way down the runway and then the plane slewed to the right and off the runway. Fortunately my momentum was enough so that I ended up on the runway again..just going backwards.  

Landed 4 kills though....but still wasn't enough to avoid a razzing;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Autoland
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 01:21:24 PM »
My favorite is the "Corsair Slide".  Bag 2 or 3 kills in a Birdcage Corsair, nurse it home with a bleeding oil cooler, set her down on the first approach (because I don't have enough oil to dally around) then watch as prop torque turns her sideways and the gear breaks off.

"You have landed successfully."  :p

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Autoland
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2003, 03:10:32 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
My favorite is the "Corsair Slide".  Bag 2 or 3 kills in a Birdcage Corsair, nurse it home with a bleeding oil cooler, set her down on the first approach (because I don't have enough oil to dally around) then watch as prop torque turns her sideways and the gear breaks off.

"You have landed successfully."  :p

I'll do that on purpose if there is a bogie nearby, seems alot of newbies just want to strafe ya on the runway at all costs, best way to prevent that is a quick landing and exit. ;)

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Autoland
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 05:24:46 PM »
augerin's quicker.