Author Topic: 2late4u  (Read 294 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
2late4u
« on: March 26, 2001, 10:00:00 PM »
hey bud, wasnt thinking, took off and there it was a B26 in my path so I took a pot shot at him. Wasnt attempting to steal your kill, however looking back that was what I did. No biggy to me but I know it irks some folks, I have been made a little "irked" by this in the past Guy followed me in on a con, I D-wing it and he peppers it...yikes he wanted that one bad. In any case I am Man enough to tell ya sorry, hope you will in the future watch the "tone" of the text in the MA

<S>

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
2late4u
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2001, 10:58:00 PM »
Ammo-

WRT to accidentally taking kills in the MA- it happens. I have done it, people do it to me. I usually stay out of a situation unless it looks like my guy is losing the upper hand. This is especially tough to gauge with the uber craft that occasionally sprinkle the arena. Just today Leph and I were poking around A8 when a Tempest happened along. Leph was in a P47 and did a nice job getting Vulcan on the run. When Vulcan did decide to split I had about 1/2 second to assess whether or not Leph could get him before Vulcan got away. I saw it as a clean getaway for Vulcan, so I dove my 190D9 from alt. I closed enough to get some hits in his wing, and he decide to roll around a bit. This guaranteed I would catch him. He did a nice job of scissoring, I am rusty as hell, and well... Leph zipped in there and killed him.

So, who stole the kill? No one. I would have felt bad if I had gotten him, as Leph did all the hard work. Leph felt a bit bad because I slowed Vulcan down. In the end it is no biggie, as long as the guy is dead.

Lost an Ar234 the other night about the same way; I smoked the engine, no way he was gonna get home with fuel leaking and engine gone, but I got occupied and couldn't finish. Skybax(?) got him, I got the 190 that jumped me, and I landed happy.

Point is there are just as many times when I jumped in too early and took what was probably someone else's kill. Fact of the matter is the way I hate to die worst is getting killed by a guy I assumed I had killed, especially when there are other guys around. If I feel I took a guy's kill I will tell him sorry. If someone says the same to me I tell them no problem. Getting mad about it just ruins your evening.

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
2late4u
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2001, 11:13:00 PM »
I did fly off a tad and do appologize as well.

Just been seeing more and more people chasing down the planes that are fluttering to the ground.  After a while its just anoying as heck.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
2late4u
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2001, 01:49:00 AM »
Happened to me today
I saw a flying LA7 and he was still SHOOTING. I approached from the right and shot him down. Turns out some guy had shot his left wing off and started calling me killstealer

it didnt affect me much anyways, since I would have probably stole his kill even if I knew he had disabled it

petrel

2late4u
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2001, 02:41:00 AM »
This has been part of every game ive ever been in that has scores and where you can sometimes only injure the enemy...

So just to avoid confusions or uncertainty beforehand i state here that i MUCH prefer someone jumping in and 'stealing' 'my kill' than have it left alone and come back and kill me...

If you got a clear shot and your not leaving us open to high alt incoming..... feel free.

<S>

However its just pathetic to shoot a flatspinning wingless plane again... and everyone will laugh at you if you do.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
2late4u
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2001, 07:00:00 AM »
Just because a La7 is missing a wing, he isn't necessarily dead. So if I was you I would finish him off too.

I think I have landed 4 or 5 times during this tour in a La7 that was missing one wing.

In fact the only time I have died with a wing missing (no other catastrophic damage) is when I tried to land a one wing La7 on a CV. I made it all the way in on the approach, got it down on the deck, but I slid into the Island/Superstructure and died.

And before anyone starts a crusade about the one winged La7's, just realize that there are about 4 or 5 planes in AH that can make it home and land with a single wing.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
2late4u
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2001, 07:21:00 AM »
Also guys, remember that net lag does have an effect.

For example, as Kieran mentioned above, he chased down Vulcan's Tempest after I had pinged him a bit, but he was getting away on me.  Kieran's D9 ran him down, and by the time I caught up they were scissoring like mad and Kieran had punched a few more holes in Vulcan's ride and got some smoke flying.  I dive in again... you never know who's going to win a scissors.  Those Hispano's are deadly, so I line up and put a burst into Vulcan even though Kieran is on his six.  Just as I let the burst go, he explodes.  I felt like I stole that one from Kieran... and it was quite possible that it looked to him like I was firing away after the guy was dead.  On my FE, he died just as I fired.  With net lag and such, what one fellow sees, others may not see for a second or two.

The bottom line for me is that I want 'em dead.    I try to apologize if I either grabbed one I maybe shouldn't have, or if it might have looked bad to the other guy.  It was funny, here were Kieran and I apologizing to each other for stealing the kill.    Hehe, <S> Kieran.  It sure was a lot more civil than having us yell at each other for kill stealing.  

You know, even when somebody dives in firing away at the guy I just turned into a spinning fireball, I just chuckle.  There are normally more bad guys on the way, so while he is busy diving after that fuselage, I'm grabbing altitude in the opposite direction to the incoming threats.  Since the kill-stealer is now nice and low, I'll just hang around behind him and use him as bait and get a few kills off him.  Or, he'll die horribly because he is so low.  Either way it doesn't pay off for him to dive to the deck after that burning fuselage.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
2late4u
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »
Kill stealing will never go away.

I have come to the conclusion that there are more bad guys out there to kill. hmmmm. It's not a big deal.  Even the 10 min 1 vs 1 that is ended by someone else jumping in.  It's no big deal.  It's the facts of these arenas.  Just make it part of your understanding of online sims, and you will be fine.  You won't even remember this horrific act down the road.

Now for the guys who shoot at the planes without any control surfaces. You guys need some help.  

[This message has been edited by Drex (edited 03-27-2001).]

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
2late4u
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
I felt bad last night about killing a plane that a fellow Bish had wounded (name escapes me now). The other Bish had wounded a Rook TBM that was very near our field and on its final run. I shot and it exploded. I felt in the grand scheme of things that having our hangars up were more important than points.
I apologized to the Bish but got only silence in reply. Hopefully not because of hard feelings.
I feel that these all even out in the end... I know I've gotten many assists when I felt that I should have gotten the kill.
...and in the end it's just a game.

<S> All.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
2late4u
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
I have seen guys dive after obviously dead planes.  If it's missing a tail and a wing it's a goner.  Leave the darn thing along. But, alas there will always be the guys who have to try to claim it as their own.

Vati66
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
2late4u
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
 Seen that many times Vati. Only way to help them out of that is via humiliation imo. Let them know if thier good you'll go back up and get them another scooby snack that they can all grovel for.

-Westy