Author Topic: Trinity sucks.  (Read 946 times)

Offline BD

• Zinc Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2003, 07:45:07 PM »
Trinity Rocks!

(Been flying against Fork since early beta)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2003, 08:14:20 PM »
Trinity is good fun..I would love to see that expanded Isles map I saw somewhere..Might have been a Nuttz creation.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2003, 08:19:26 PM »
I like Trinity.

The reasons that a quick reset cannot be achieved in Trinity is that 1) it's a large map, 2) as Inn suggested, there are still "bottle neck" spots on the map where many people just clog up the skies, 3) the fields are placed out pretty far.

But also, another reason is that good strategic operations are available in a layout like in Trinity. Past experiences have shown us that the South country of Trinity is likely to be reset by the North West, while the North East and South stay in a stale mate condition..  but this past week, the Rooks have been concentrating on a lot of strategic porking against the Knits, and managed to defend the west coast with minimal possible numbers, in most occasions.

Thus, what has transpired is multiple stagnant(but fun!) battles spread out equally  along the entire West coast, from the deepest port areas to the center areas, where equal number of planes slug it out for local air superiority. Both sides put in lots of bombers and jabos to disable the other's strategical capabilities, and because of the field layouts, a successful porking mission really shines and pays off. Also, the distance of the field ensures that no 1~2 bozos who just lawn-dart to the ground, re-up and do it again, will keep a field down. Steady numbers have to be deployed to pork a field, and the balance between pure "A2A" fighters and "A2G" fighters were visible in the Knit-Rook(NW vs S) front.

Thus, it's easy to capture one field, but keeping it alive and running, and gaining a "real foothold" in enemy territory is hard. You can't just barge in with humongous number of fighters in one area and push forward with raw force in Trinity, because the layouts and strats, zones prevent that type of display of raw, dumb power.

Actually, Trinity is the first map that I found out that the Rooks don't whine and feel discomfort and frustratrion because of numbers imbalance(as much as 30 to 50 people disadvantages I've seen, and yet not a single whine on the country channel! Ofcourse, with all the newbies in the game, there were also quite many times we were the most advantageous, too!)... :) .. the meisters of defense as we are ;), a lot of terrific battles have been going on on the west coast. Good numbers of fighters and jabos, ground vehicles, all spread throughout the west coast!

However, the Bish-Rook front(NE vs S), was an entirely different story. It was the same type of great, large furballs with no real worth whatsoever, as the battle lines just froze near the center mountain region. There was that 'bottle neck', which people clogged up hastily, and absolute chaos.

I haven't quite found out the reasons why the two fronts(Knit-Rook and Bish-Rook) so differ, maybe its in the small difference of port/CV positions, size of the seas, or field placement.... or maybe the effect of the mountain..?? .. but as it is, I mainly fought on the western front. It's simply a blast!

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2003, 08:22:22 PM »
I'm sorry but how does being a "Vet" change anything? :confused:

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2003, 09:13:45 PM »
Originally posted by RightF00T
I'm sorry but how does being a "Vet" change anything? :confused:

Because they think that after playing on the beta map, anything looks good.

That's not true though. The beta map was better than pizza.

The way I see it, Trinity is the best large map yet.  The unreadable map text "feature" is complete BS though.

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2003, 10:38:13 PM »
Tried to like it but can't. Tired of flying forever to fight. Mountains too high, fields too far apart, too many VHs, only chance for a decent furball is off a CV. Needs more ports, less alt, less GVs and fields alot closer to each other... Most of the time you have 2-3 places even remotely close to fight from - to. If the fuel is porked at these fields (which it usually is) then you're stuck with looking for a CV. If they were just recently sunk you are SOL...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 09:48:45 PM by BNM »

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2003, 02:06:02 AM »
Trinity map is the first one I've ever run out of gas in a Lancaster on.  Decided to make a run against nit HQ in the west one night, took 50% gas (was always more than enough on the smaller maps), and off I went.  No more than a minute after my bombs dropped, my engines died.  Guess I ought to get used to the bigger maps.

Even so, I still love the map.  

p.s.  I agree about the clipboard problems at high resolution.  I can't read a damn thing on that clipboard.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2003, 11:30:41 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
When Veterans since beta start posting "Trinity sucks", then I'll believe there is some substance to the accusation.

Trinity Sucks! ;)

Well, to be honest it isn't my favourite but it isn't bad.  The only great thing I dislike about it is the 25k mountain ranges.  Often I haven't a great deal of time during the week to have long sorties and it is something that annoys me.  The camoflaged GVs (skins) are perhaps the best feature of Trinity - makes GV battles a lot more fun!
NEXX

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2003, 08:33:15 PM »
Trinity is one of my favorite maps...only gripe is the 25k mountain range.  Jugs, Ar234s, buffs, etc all take a very long time to climb over em...

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2003, 11:27:01 AM »
I love Trinity! Well balanced map.

The difficulty in resetting it, I think is a reflection on that it is so well balanced, and that when it comes down to it there's some pretty good players on all sides, and it takes some organization to overthrow another country.

We could re-incarnate AW2 ETO and PTO!

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2003, 11:41:34 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
Trinity is good fun..I would love to see that expanded Isles map I saw somewhere..Might have been a Nuttz creation.

Nuttz,
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79274
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78341

Me,
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74186
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79652

Both Islesish

Gatso

And Trinity does not suck. It just needs a couple of tweaks and I'm sure the update will sort out most of the bugs
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 11:46:24 AM by gatso »

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2003, 01:33:47 PM »
I think the primary problem with Trinity/Pizza is simply the size.  There is no feel on these maps since they are so overwhelmingly huge that you have no idea what is happening overall.  You hear "field X is under attack"... it could be 2-3 map scrolls away.  So, everyone either converges at a furball, or they go around milk-running, with huge zones of nothing.  It's ok to have a map that allows gaps where people can operate undetected, but you do need to keep some level of concentration of opposing forces to confront each other along a definable boundary.

I think the fascination with HUGE went overboard, which is unfortuante for the people who spent the massive number of hours it must take to make a map like this.  Something that was only 50% larger than the old MA maps would have probably gave enough breathing room to make something that didn't feel like fighting in a phonebooth.  On the same token, we wouldn't be trying to find a fight in an empty parking lot either.. or hoping someone stumbles into you by luck.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2003, 08:23:07 PM »
Originally posted by Raubvogel
If you really hate it, here ya go:

Aces High Terrain Editor

My sentiments exactly :D.

Originally posted by  Kweassa

The reasons that a quick reset cannot be achieved in Trinity is that 1) it's a large map, 2) as Inn suggested, there are still "bottle neck" spots on the map where many people just clog up the skies, 3) the fields are placed out pretty far.

1) Yep...HT's choice.

2) Yep again. Which is intended to give the massively outnumbered at least a ghost of a chance at staying in the game.

3) Yep (unfortunately). I learned a lot from the field placement in Trinity. In the future, field placement will be.....different :).

Yes  Kweassa, field layout and zone design is the way it is to try and 'enhance' strategic game play.

I was told that the Trinity fixes would be up when the patch came out. So, I assume that they will be there the next time Trinity rolls around.

Yes, the ridiculously high fields have been fixed in the update. The passes through the mountains have been lowered (average alts should be about 5 to 6k...I found some that were as high as 14k). Also, the clipboard map has been done by Dux (for those that have flown in the CT) and you will find that navigation should be much easier.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2003, 08:31:27 PM »
Trinity is the best map I've ever seen in AH, too much time to reset it, but far better than the rest.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Trinity sucks.
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2003, 08:36:32 PM »
Again..I love Trinity...

Hell i like it the way it is...

Salute NoBAddy!!!

BiGB
xoxo