Author Topic: Hammerhead and the FW190-D9  (Read 358 times)

Offline Gunslayer

• Zinc Member
Hammerhead and the FW190-D9
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2001, 05:41:00 AM »
Ya what Jig Said  

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2001, 10:30:00 AM »
Personally, I don't think the nose of any of the planes in a hammer head manuever come around properly. They should be falling out of the sky without the help of the rudder once you get the weight over the top. And has anyone else noticed how the nose seems to be attached to a rubber band? Like the rudder has to much authority at low speed and if you don't keep rudder in until you are pointed straight down and back off a touch it bounces all over the place! The nose should snap over quicker IMHO and practically be pointed down faster with the rudder flopping around and not having the 'rubber band effect' until sufficient airspeed is built up for it to become effective again.

ts

Offline CJ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/typhoonc77
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
I agree.  Just from the standpoint that, when an airfoil stalls, the center of lift moves back to the centroid of the area.  This should move the center of lift of the rudder or elevator and wing back, and should aid in recovery from stalls.  I notice that some planes like the F4u, P51, and Typhoon will sometimes get into deep stalls like described for some relaxed stability aircraft like the F-16.  Power off, assuming no spin is present, these aircraft should not enter a deep stall that takes many seconds to recover from.  Once power is removed, and torque gone, the aircraft should "weathervane" to stability during a stall.  It's not a big deal since I have only been in this situation when screwing around after a fight, but I think it will eventually be fixed.  Also it does greatly affect the hammerhead stall. I guess they'd have to add code that moves the center of lift back on the surfaces during a stalled condition.

CJ

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
All are very valid points.
AH probably doesn't model EXACTLY what would happen in RL but it's pretty close.

For game purposes.. rudder rudder rudder..
just before the 'stall' should get the nose around.

As for the rest.. depends on situation.