Author Topic: La7  (Read 1147 times)

Offline tk0329

• Zinc Member
La7
« on: March 23, 2003, 07:07:11 PM »
Anyone have any comments on this aircraft as far as comparing it to the Spit 9?
Thanks.

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
La7
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 07:15:26 PM »
Yea....It does everything better than it except turn.

Misty tales and poems lost
All the bliss and beauty will be gone
Will my weary soul find release for a while
At the moment of death I will smile
It's the triumph of shame and disease
In the end Iliad

4,/JG 53
« Last Edit: March 23, 2003, 10:28:09 PM by XNachoX »

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
La7
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 07:46:42 PM »
The Spit 9 is generally better than the LA7 above 10K and utterly superior above 20K.   The LA7 can outrun the Spit 9 up to about 22K and will outclimb it at low levels (up to around 7500 or so).  The LA7 is substantially faster than the Spit 9 at normal arena altitudes (up to 15K, above which they're close).

The Spit's 2 Hispano cannons and 2 .50's are a better overall weapon set than the LA7's 3 x B-20 20mm cannons. Most annoyingly, the LA7's cannons have poor accuracy and have a considerable shorter useful range than the Hispanos.  In addition, the Spitfire can easily outmaneuver the LA7 and also has generally better energy retention.  

IMO the Spitfire 9 is an all-around fighter for offensive A2A combat, and the LA7 is more of something to use for some specific purpose when low-level speed is of utmost importance (for example, chasing down enemy  JABO aircraft, a task the LA7 excells at).  

J_A_B

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
La7
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 08:46:15 PM »
The La7 is a vastly inferior turner as compared to the Spit IX though is much faster.  The climb differences are not as great as one might make out since the Spit IX is a very good climber too.  The La7 has pure speed, which is a good defensive weapon, but as an offensive weapon, the Spit IX is likely better.  It has better cannons (hispanos are vastly better than the 3 Bo cannons) and the secondary .50's offer a decent weapon too.  The Spit should be able to force at least a HO in any encounter because of it's superior turn rate.  The Spit also retains energy better, though this is moot if you do a bunch of heavy maneuvering all at once.  The Spit also has a drop tank option, which is very useful, while the La7 is short ranged.

The Spit IX is a good plane for any level of skill, the La7 tends to be something that would entirely frustrate a new player as they would have a lot of difficulty hitting anything with the guns, and wouldn't know the tactics to use to maintain speed, which is it's only real advantage.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
La7
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2003, 10:23:42 PM »
The Spit IX is generally one of the best fighters for the main arena. You can E fight against the true angles-fighters (spitV, a6m, hurri), and turn against the E fighters. The combination of 2x50cal and 2x20mm hispano is great, and packs a pretty good punch. The balistics are similar for these weapons, so if you hit with one, chances are you'll hit with the other.

The LA-7, in my opinion, is the best fighter for the MA. It is the ultimate low-alt E fighter. It truely excels at E fighting, even against other E fighters (109's, P-38's). The elevators and ailerons are very responsive, so you can make last second adjustments for your shots without losing it. Considering the top speed and acceleration of the LA-7, it turns exceptionally well. The closest low-alt comparison is the G10, which has a similar zoom climb, acceleration and top speed, and the LA-7 turns quite a bit better than the G10, especially if the misguided fool is flying with gondolas (as many people do).

I also forgot to mention that the LA-7 has the highest top speed on the deck of the un-perked fighters.
Army of Muppets

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
La7
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 11:07:19 AM »
I've been back flying for a little under a month now and have spent most of my time in the La-5 and -1 hog...however recently I've been flying the la-7 quite a bit since I tend to gravitate to area were the #'s are against me. To me the la-7 is spit killer at the lower alts I like to fly at 10k or so. I'm 2-0 against the spit14 and would have to search on the others but have a bunch of films of burning spits....the real problem in La-7 vs spit (of any kind) is if they saddle up your going to have a tough time. I've had more problems with the Hi E spit 5 coming down than the 9 (or 14) since the turn diff is so pronounced. Anyway, beating the spit requires an accurate gauge of E state...if your equal or neg E than you need to address that 1st...I've been using Drex's tactics in the simHQ article against Higher E spits...a chopped throttle nose down turn...seems to work almost universally...the spit driver figures I'm an idiot and commit's to an in plane or slightly hi yoyo guns attack...I can tighten to edge of blackout and reverse. Invariably the spit has been forced outside and often is blacked out...sometimes the shot is there but usually I'll convert to a vertical energy fight where the la-7's acc and climb at low alt combined with the angles gains from the overshoot make life tough on the spit...the key is the energy convergance thingy Drex talks about.

Now if you stumble across a lower E spit the scenario is much simpler...fight him from the top down and don't ever go below him unless your really sure your e state is much better and you want to try and give him an overshoot/rope type attack.

As for the la-7 guns...I'm amazed how much better the 3 x 20mm is than the other load out...I seem to be able to hit at 300-350 fairly well vs the 200 and in the la-5 restricts me to. Had a number of 1 burst kills at "longer" ranges...obviously the spit has the edge however. The biggest edge that the la-7 has is it can be aggresive...lot of of throttle stuff...and still control the fight at low alt...you can surprise alot of spit drivers who expect a shoot and scoot and have a momentary lapse in SA...just be aware that if the energy states are around even your in serious trouble with a spit.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
La7
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 09:58:40 AM »
Where is Drex's article you mention? I can't find it at Simhq.com.  Could you provide a link?  I'd love to read it.

Thanks!

- JNOV

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
La7
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 10:11:25 AM »

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
La7
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 05:24:07 PM »
ugh, LA7s. gotta hate 'em. more dweeby than spits

La7s (and the MA enviornment) are the reason i fly a Spit 9.

laffers are they are uber in the space most fights take place, below 10k feet. but a well flown spit can't be caught by a 7. the IX provides escapabilty, and reversabilty, against hi perf. planes like the 7 (and ponys)
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
La7
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 11:01:09 PM »
You can substitute Yak-9U for La-7 so they wont disrespect you. You get the same flight characteristics of la-7 when you use Yak-9U. Yak-9U is just a re-badged La-7.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2003, 11:06:43 PM by Ike 2K# »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
La7
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 10:42:21 AM »
Originally posted by Ike 2K#
You can substitute Yak-9U for La-7 so they wont disrespect you. You get the same flight characteristics of la-7 when you use Yak-9U. Yak-9U is just a re-badged La-7.

Except that the LA-7 is faster, has bigger guns, more ammunition, and better acceleration.  The Yak9U is a good comparison to a 109F but with better roll and better handling at high speeds.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
La7
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2003, 12:39:04 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Except that the LA-7 is faster, has bigger guns, more ammunition, and better acceleration.  

When flying the Yak, I find the La-7 is my favorite 1v1 fight.  This probably has something to do with the fact that I know I can't dissengage, so I might as well enjoy it lol.

In a 1v1 I think they are fairly well matched, with the Yak having an edge in turn and handling, while the La-7 holds the rest of the cards (unless it somehow runs out of WEP).  If I can force the La-7 to slow down a bit, I'm usually confident I can win, however if the La-7 stays fast, things get a lot more sticky.

But the Yak is a POS, no one should fly it. (the more for me!)

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
La7
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2003, 02:52:56 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Except that the LA-7 is faster, has bigger guns, more ammunition, and better acceleration.  The Yak9U is a good comparison to a 109F but with better roll and better handling at high speeds.

No way, yak9U accelerates better below 8k. The la7 is also more stable, and the ailerons / elevators respond better (more quickly).
Army of Muppets

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
La7
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2003, 10:09:59 PM »
La7 WAY outaccelerates the Yak9U.  IT ain't even close.  La7 feels a lot less 'mushy' with the rudder than the Yak-9U does.  La7 also has 3 20mm cannon with 150 rounds.. Yak has 1 20mm cannon with 120 rounds and 2 machineguns.  

I think the Yak might turn *slightly* better (very slightly).  Overall, I'd say the Yak is most like a 109F4 with mushy handling but better guns.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
La7
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2003, 10:17:37 PM »
Just did a little test.. at 2k the La7 takes 31 seconds to go from 200 to 300 mph, the Yak-9U takes 44.  

I'd say the La7 accelerates better, personally.