Author Topic: The Ace in the Hole for Aces High  (Read 329 times)

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
The Ace in the Hole for Aces High
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2000, 10:33:00 PM »

Originally posted by flakbait:
Actually, 1k bombs aren't generally porked. They're just screwed up vs. vehicles. Dump a single 1k bomb on a city and watch as at least 3 square blocks go up. A single 4k bomb from a Lanc nearly levels a quarter of a city. Apparently what we've got are general purpose bombs, and what we need is AP bombs. A single 500lb AP bomb would turn a Panzer into confetti.

Actually a AP bomb is prolly the last thing you want. High volume HE bombs work best against tank. GP should work fine.

That is UNLESS he who is dropping the bomb can do it with pin-point accuracy(as generally needed vs a tank, German monsters excluded)

AP are better suited for anti-shipping, pillbox, bunker, blockhouse, etc (reinforced, etc)

Course if yer talking about AT, AT Frag, or AT shaped, now thats another story  

- Jig

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2000, 11:01:00 PM »
Mino

I died lots to Osties that capped our fields and kilt us takin off or landing. I do respawn to protect a field  

None the less.. Ill take some film.

Also, Typhoon has been my main ride for the last tour & a 1/2

Tour 9:  Wardog has 147 kills and has been killed 49 times in the Typhoon IB.

Dog out....

[This message has been edited by Wardog (edited 10-18-2000).]

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2000, 06:09:00 AM »
Mino it's no problem at all to see a PNZ or Osty from 6k .. even more once you initially aquire them .. oyou can't see their icon but who needs that if you know that it is an enemy osty ... they have rely nice brownish dots...

the only vehicle i'm loosing regularely in ground clutter are the green M16s ..

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2000, 06:14:00 AM »
Mino, it's not impossible when ya know it's down there. Green background, look for a yellow little "blinking" plop. Go straight over it from the direction he's coming, drop at d1.4-d1.0. Target dead.

What is BLOODY irritating about vehilces is the LAG for vehicle kills - I've had them fire rounds into me after the bomb has exploded. Took 'um 2-5 seconds to explode. All the while they're firing.

Lag for kills isn't that bad in planes. My connection is ok (170ms from Denmark) and my packet loss at the time nil.

In the JU-88, several of my deaths against Osties have been "lag" deahts - once I dropped egg, watched hit, got exploded in the air. As I returned to the tower, I could see the Ostie explode. Only me and the Ostie there, and he claimed he dinnae .ef.

But, I've had *direct hits* on Osties that haven't disabled it. I've had misses that have. A bit inconsistent.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2000, 06:46:00 AM »
bombs actually do have blast effect on a tanks..
Though, effect is usually wrong.

With bombs, it seems more like tank either blows up or doesnt, not many times it just gets damaged.
I believe that if 1000lb class bomb hit somewhere nearby, tank might not have blown up, but had severe damages.
I've seen many times when 1000lb miss makes bomb blow up..

Once there was players tank stuck near to airfield, weren't shooting back and I dropped bombs on him in all the joy of it.. as I got second kill of him, I began wondering whats up with this osty, asked the guy is he there - he was 10 miles away really, not there where I were bombing him all time.
I did drop twice one 500kg bomb (1100lb..) past the tank and it blew up. (hit was far off)
I've also drop 4000lb bomb like 50 yards off a tank (i bet it was more) and it blew up nicely.

So much for no blast effect on tanks  

I did once disable tracks of M3 halftrack with panzers 75mm HE round which was close hit on the ground