Author Topic: Unfair engine mute "cheat"  (Read 2358 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« on: March 26, 2003, 07:10:48 AM »
I've been doing a lot of 109 flying lately, discussed in this thread. The techniques used are rather different from those of the P47, for example. Stealth is the key! Often the way to get a kill is to zoom up behind the bogie in his low 6. But on at least four occasions in the past few days, the bogie has made a break turn just as I was getting within range to take a shot, at a time when he had no friendlies that could have given him a 6-call.  

And now I know how he does it. In the SOUND options within Set Up, he has his own engine sound muted to barely a whisper. That way he can HEAR a bogie as it gets dangerously close.  Clearly this is a game-the-game wheeze. The real pilots of WW2 did not have the option of muting their engines. When the 109 is chasing a P51, it can take longer to catch up owing the the P51's speed. This means that the 109 will be lingering in his low 6 for many seconds. If the P51 has his engine muted, this gives him an unfair advantage.

If the game is going to allow the muting of engines, then the engine sounds of ALL planes/vehicles should also be muted - cons, friendlies and his own alike. There is no way the pilot of a real WW2 plane could have heard the engine sound of an enemy 400+ yards behind him.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 07:14:40 AM »
I got beefs with that issue as well.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 07:25:51 AM »
I give this one a 8.5 for originality. It has a good beat, but I can't dance to it.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 07:57:54 AM »
i have my eng and other sounds at about 50% and the wind set to 100% just so  i get a sensation of speed of some sort

other than the runway, in a chute, ship/ack gun or in a gv with eng ded, the ability to "hear" an engine other than your own is gamey at best
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 08:00:13 AM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 08:36:12 AM »
You saying a real life pilot in a real p51 couldn't crack his cockpit & idle back for a second to listen for enemys? Can you prove that this never happened once?

Also, some pilots do devolp a "6th Sense" that tends to kick in to warn them" Mine used to work a lot better than it does now.

While there are some things people do to "Game the game" this is not a major one on my list.

If its too annoying try flying the yak, don't need to be sneaky, you can actually outfly them.  :)

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 08:36:29 AM »
bad bad whine beetle.......

Ya didn't swear.....-1

no tantrum......-1

gaming the game is done by everyone 1 in the GAME......

originality.....bah....-.5

7.5 is my score.....

get a better plane Beetle.....or change your Tactics

ya should hook up with Apar....that boy can make a 109 dance pretty good....

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 08:39:09 AM »
I have creeds "higher" set as my engine .wav file. As I pull up to the enemies dead six o'clock, he's either rockin' out to my cool tunes or alt-tabbed out trying to turn off his winamp. Then he dies. :D

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 08:45:21 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
You saying a real life pilot in a real p51 couldn't crack his cockpit & idle back for a second to listen for enemys? Can you prove that this never happened once?
Highly improbable. And even if he did, the sound of his own idling engine plus the rush of air past the cockpit at Mustang speeds would drown out bogie sound. Did you know, Ghosth, that the P51 guns act like organ pipes, and cause a low whistling sound at some speeds/angles? If you do not believe me, I have a .MOVie file of a friend who went for a flight in a P51.

This thread is not a whine! And it's not about flying. Just plain old GtG.

hblair - lol!  send me that file. :)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Re: Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 08:49:18 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
If the game is going to allow the muting of engines, then the engine sounds of ALL planes/vehicles should also be muted - cons, friendlies and his own alike. There is no way the pilot of a real WW2 plane could have heard the engine sound of an enemy 400+ yards behind him.

If you're relying on muted engine sounds to supplement for actual situational awareness, you suck anyway and will die often.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 09:18:36 AM »
Muting the engine! Why didn't I think of that one. thanks for the advice Beet1e!

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 09:20:26 AM »
The worst thing I ever did was start reading and posting on these boards....with whines like this one and the O'Club, finding another hobby sounds better and better.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 09:25:57 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
You saying a real life pilot in a real p51 couldn't crack his cockpit & idle back for a second to listen for enemys?

lol

It's because your serious that its so gaddamn funny.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 09:28:14 AM »
Originally posted by Creamo
It's because your serious that its so gaddamn funny.

It certainly would seem that he's never flown in something as little as a Cessna, let a lone a P-51.  Last time I was in a Cessna 172, I could barely hear myself think.  Maybe I should have opened the window and had the pilot throttle back.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2003, 10:03:58 AM »
I was flying along with my engine sound turned down to the min with external sounds turned up to the max and some cheater had the gall to dive in on my 6 with his engine turned off.  HTC... please adress this immediately.

MiniD

PS... I don't really fly with the engine sound down... and I've still heard aproaching aircraft.

MiniD

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2003, 10:12:03 AM »
I think you are beginning to snap..

Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
you suck anyway and will die often.

-- Todd/Leviathn
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.