Author Topic: A few questions about GV's and boats  (Read 423 times)

Offline BZip

• Zinc Member
A few questions about GV's and boats
« on: March 26, 2003, 07:58:08 PM »
These are totaly noob questions so excuse me. If someone could answer or point me to a good web site, that would be great.

I've had an account for over a year now but I've hardly ever done anything but fly.... so...

Q1: When I'm picking ammo for a tank, what does HE and AP stand for. I assume AP stands for Armor piercing and it would be best used against other GV's? And HE is High Explosive and is good against hanger and such?

Q2: When using a GV or the big guns on a ship to attack a field, what damage does the ammo have against targets compared to bombs?

Q3: When attacking a target such as a field from a distance, how do I aim and hit specific places? I read somewhere that you can use the map and click where you want your rounds to go. Is this true?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 08:30:17 PM by BZip »

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 08:59:15 PM »
1. You're right... AP = Armor piercing.  Use it against armored GVs such as Osties, Tigers, and Panzers.  HE = High Explosive.  Has a larger blast area... use it for killing strats at bases (hangars, ack, fuel, etc.) as well as for killing unarmored GVs such as M8s, M3s, and M16s.  AP will also do the job on M8s, M16s, etc, but you have to hit them right on.  But that's sometimes preferrable to changing ammo load and having to re-aim for the poorer HE ballistics.  

2.  I don't know about ship vs bomb damage.  Keep shooting until it blows up.  

3.  http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/fleet.html

Good help pages for other ?s can be found at:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/helphom.html

and at

http://www.netaces.org

Or just ask here.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: A few questions about GV's and boats
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 02:29:02 AM »
Originally posted by BZip
Q3: When attacking a target such as a field from a distance, how do I aim and hit specific places? I read somewhere that you can use the map and click where you want your rounds to go. Is this true?
This works well in the big guns on the ships.  Make sure you are in land-mode - default key is W - then bring up the clipboard, zoom right in to the target and then click on it.  The gun will then automatically line up on the target at the correct angle for hitting it at your current location.... and will continue to point at it as the ship moves, making all necessary adjustments a it does.  One method which apparently works well while in this mode is to have someone fly over the target and make them your wingman (.wingman GameID), then ask them to tell you when they are directly over the vehicle hangar, or whatever target you want to hit, and click on their dot.  Not sure how well that works.  Play around with it.  :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 02:33:16 AM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: A few questions about GV's and boats
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 11:54:18 AM »
These are totaly noob questions so excuse me. If someone could answer or point me to a good web site, that would be great.

I've had an account for over a year now but I've hardly ever done anything but fly.... so...

Q1: When I'm picking ammo for a tank, what does HE and AP stand for. I assume AP stands for Armor piercing and it would be best used against other GV's? And HE is High Explosive and is good against hanger and such?

Correct.  It takes about 10 to 15 rounds of HE to take down a vehicle hangar.  Two HE rounds will take out a town building.  One HE round will take out a couple of trucks in a vehicle convoy, and even a near-miss HE round will take out an anti-aircraft gun.

AP rounds work best against the armoured vehicles such as the tanks, LVTs, and Ostwinds.  I've had mixed results with AP against M3s and M8s - HE seems to work just as well and you can always just machine gun the half-tracks if you're saving your shells.  My preferred load-out is 36 rounds of HE and 36 rounds of AP with 15 rounds of smoke.  I've only run low on HE a couple of times, and in those instances the AP rounds were capable of finishing off the targets.

Q2: When using a GV or the big guns on a ship to attack a field, what damage does the ammo have against targets compared to bombs?

Bombs work best, assuming you're using 500 pounders or above, if you're in a hurry.  The advantage to using a gv to take out an object is that the field AA guns don't have much impact against a tank.

For PT boats, aiming the rockets is more a case of trial-and-error.  I stop my boat (as much as possible, given the fact that it'll coast on its own for awhile if you don't apply some reverse prop) and fire off a rocket to see where it lands.  Then I adjust my fire from there.

I'm hoping that HTC will introduce a version of the Sherman tank with rockets.  I think it would make the gv aspect of the game much more interesting.

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 08:25:54 PM »
FYI: You're talking about the "Calliope", so named because the rocket launchers mounted on a Sherman tank looked like a calliope. I forget exactly what size rockets they fired, but it held 60 of them.