Author Topic: 109  (Read 571 times)

Offline tk0329

• Zinc Member
« on: March 31, 2003, 12:26:17 AM »
I would think I will get a few responses on this. Which version of the 109 gets the most nods?
Thanks

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 12:31:48 AM »
I don't have much time in 109's but I'd say the most popular 109 with the hardcore LW fans is the 109G2.   Fast enough to be competitive while retaining some of the manuverability of the earlier models.  

Most would consider the 109E4 and F4 too slow (though these are my favs.  Again most would rate the 109G6 as inferior to most other models.  The 109G10 is the fastest by far, but also the least manuverable, and I'd go a bit out on a limb and say the hardest to fly due to some viscious torque.  

Generally speaking the later model 109's are faster but less manuverable.  

I'd say pick which one suits your style of flying the best.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 02:41:07 AM »
The Bf-109G-10 is the most used version of the 109 in AH by far.    It typically sees more use than all the other 109 models combined.

J_A_B

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 09:29:15 AM »
Check out my webpage the aircraft of AH:

Sodas Aircraft Evaluations

The G10 is the most popular, but also the most hazardous to fly as it has a number of control and handling related issues.  People like it because it carries a 30mm cannon and is a real speed demon (and climbs like an angel).  The G6 has the same firepower, but less engine power and better handling (marginally).  The G2 is actually faster and climbs better than the G6, but has lighter firepower and handles a bit better.  The f4 is lighter still, slower than the G2 or G6, has the lighter firepower, but is also a lot better handling.  The E is actually very nimble, but slow and with difficult firepower.

A common mis-conception is that the G6 is faster/cimbs better than the G2, which is actually untrue.  The G6 actually performs worse, but has the heavier cowl guns and the possiblility to add the 30mm spinner cannon, which the G2 can't.

-Soda
« Last Edit: March 31, 2003, 09:35:09 AM by Soda »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 09:29:15 AM »
The G10 gets the most use in the MA because its the fastest and has biggest gun load-out available - that 30mm cannon option is a monster gun.

HOWEVER...

The G10 will compress on you before you realize you're about to face-plant from 10,000 feet altitude. :eek: The G6 will give you almost the same base gun load-out with a little less speed and fewer compressability problems (due to its slower speed).  The G2 is just a hair slower still and a good, safe 109 to fly.  But if you want to fight and not worry about compression, fly the F model.  It has the best balance of guns and handling (as far as turning and climb are concerned) and is a very capable weapons platform once you learn the proper sniping skills.

In my experience, flying the Yak-9U is a good way to learn how to fight in the 109F.  Both have 2 cowl-mounted MGs and a single cannon firing through the prop hub, but the Yak9U has the advantage of speed, handling, and visibility over the 109, making it a good training vessel for future 109 pilots.  Once you've gotten comfortable with the gunnery of the Yak9U, you'll have success in the 109F with only a slight decrease in flight handling between the two planes.

To get kills in either plane, you'll need to learn to get in close to your target and land all of your shells (unless you're in the G10 with 30mm option, in which case 1 hit from that 30mm will take out any fighter in the sky).  Don't fire in the Yak9U unless you're inside d200.  Once you get the pilots skills to do that, you'll have good success with gunnery in the 109F.  And you'll get a bucket-load of perk points from your kills, too.

Offline tk0329

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 01:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the info

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 02:51:20 PM »
The 109G2 is probably the most beginner-friendly.. or maybe the G6.
Army of Muppets

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 10:00:17 PM »
All Bf109s are formiddable and interesting planes as long as they stay in the historical context.. (with possibly the exception of the Bf109G-6). Since the 'context' of the MA leans towards 1945, with all the monster planes flying around, naturally the G-10 is the preferred choice for many. Probably the only 109 which can always fly on its terms in the MA.

However, for temporary use as point defense, vulch-clearing and defending attacks from CV planes, the F-4, G-2 and the G-6 can all manage a good chance of success. (Although generally, something like the La-5FN or Spit9 can carry out those roles a lot better)

The really tough decision for flying the various versions of 109s, lies with the fact that all of them have the same qualities as a 'hybrid' style of fighter, and yet, subtly different, and each of them except the G-10 has a distinct weakness due to chaotic MA conditions.

F-4, is probably the most pleasant and forgiving dogfighter of them all. Against planes like the Seafire or the Hurricanes, it can fight advantageously. However, flying around in an environment full of N1K2s and Spit9s, it's limitations are all too clear.

E-4 lacks too much of everything compared to the popular MA planes.

G-2, is a powerful 109 with a good balance between maneuverability and speed and climb.. however, also needs continuous attention to its surroundings. Meet something like a N1K2 or a Spit9 higher than itself, with a pilot that knows what he is doing, and the chances are slim.

G-6 has the option to carry the 30mm cannon, but that's about it. A 'moderate plane' is the best score I can give.

The G-10, is the only 109 truly powerful enough to fight against any plane in almost any situation, and leave the area alive, be it victorious or just being chased away.

Generally, in the MA, minor skirmishes or attacks from the sea, is a good time to try out the 'lesser' 109s. But in an environment with massive engagements, if you really want to survive, you'll need the G-10.