Author Topic: Ostwind: hard nut to crack  (Read 333 times)

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Ostwind: hard nut to crack
« on: September 12, 2000, 08:27:00 AM »

Well guys..mr SAW, who was riding in my tank as gunner put .......18 ap´s............
into a ostwind at POINTBLANK, before it went to our Father.

Hard nut to crack, for sure.

crabofix

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2000, 08:28:00 AM »
We all have the same father?

Eek.

Inbreeding will ruin us.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

aircat

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2000, 08:38:00 AM »
 why do I get all the weak ones? Coyo in a single shot hit me from approx 4k and I was DEAD. one shot one hit one kill.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2000, 08:47:00 AM »
crabofix I don't think this is a problem with the ostwind itself. The Panzer can be just as hard to kill.

I drive tanks alot and I've had tanks that only take 1 hit and some that never die even after 25 ap hits.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals
"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2000, 10:58:00 AM »
Hehe Ran some tests with Chead in the TA today :

Nikki, aproximately 800 Hits with 20mm on Top armor & back....: No Damage

FW190A8 With the 30mm Cannons, Aproximately 500rnds on Target : No damage

Typhoon Rockets : On Target (Salvo 8 fired at 600 yds) : Engine out

Typhoon Guns : 50 Rnds on Tgt : Boum

I think I saw that this was being addressed in the upcomming patch... Untill then, look for me in an Ostwind  

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2000, 11:01:00 AM »
I'm gonna have to pay more attention to my Ostwind driving.

I've had times when I was pinged to death, with no damage showing on the ctrl-d.  

I've had other times where my turret or tracks were easily damaged.

I've had a time where the only damage on ctrl-d was "Driver Wounded".

I've been killed.

I need to pay attention to what is shooting me, from what angle.  I have not really seen myself indestructible in the Ost.

Fury

[This message has been edited by Fury (edited 09-12-2000).]

Offline Lucchini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2000, 11:18:00 AM »
I believe ostwind must be destined to a defensive use only!
It's really a stupid way to be killed by one of them while you're starting your engine or rolling on your field.
I think their use must be restricted to the one's country fields around area.

Ciao

Lucchini

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2000, 02:16:00 PM »
The Ostwind is not the Uber vehicle everyone claims it is.

All this squeaking and whining is going to get a great tool nerfed.

The Ostwind is NOT hard to kill, I have been killed many times in it already by other vehicles, planes, bombers.

The Ostwind is EXACTLY what it is supposed to be. A Flak Panzer.

All of the people whining about the Ostwind are upset that it does not go down as easy as
an M16. Its just as hard to kill as a Panzer. The only difference is that it will kill you fast is you do stupid things like strafe it head on with a 50 caliber machine gun.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Please stop all the whining and consider a new strategy, like engaging it with Panzers, bombing it from high, or getting better at flying.

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2000, 03:15:00 PM »
after many experiment th problem is just when 2 pmzr vs pnzr  vs flak and any combination even egsor plane it depend on conection quality and i em sure also on CPU of the terget player !!!!! i know from my experience when frame drop below 5  maybe the CPu simply or not able to handle >?/ ignore the incoming packet  with damg data ??????????????????
flak die more easyly from 2 D distance like from below 1 D  so dont go close  aim for undercariage !!!! below the track !!! it die very fasT !!!!! when u in flak and pnzr around u shot max low  and it die  anyway is the thing when in micro lang the plane an vehicle twist i em sure many of u see the planes bufs vehicles twist for a sec many time that why hapaning on Ho  u got hit ruder :-)))

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2000, 04:07:00 PM »

Originally posted by BotaBing:
The Ostwind is not the Uber vehicle everyone claims it is.

All this squeaking and whining is going to get a great tool nerfed.

The Ostwind is NOT hard to kill, I have been killed many times in it already by other vehicles, planes, bombers.

The Ostwind is EXACTLY what it is supposed to be. A Flak Panzer.

All of the people whining about the Ostwind are upset that it does not go down as easy as
an M16. Its just as hard to kill as a Panzer. The only difference is that it will kill you fast is you do stupid things like strafe it head on with a 50 caliber machine gun.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Please stop all the whining and consider a new strategy, like engaging it with Panzers, bombing it from high, or getting better at flying.

There IS something seriously wrong with it.  Jump in your Osty, hit F3, then keypad 0.  What do you see?
The inside of the turret.
Do the same thing in the PanzerIV, and what do you see?
The armored roof of the turret.

The ostwind is an OPEN turret vehicle.  Even the 7.9mm MGs some of the kites sport should be able to kill it (wiping out the gun crew).  Not to mention burst damage from rockets/bombs (dropped 2 1k eggs at an osty.  The osty was sitting on the edge of the crater, apparently undamaged, and promptly shot me down).

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2000, 05:51:00 PM »
Open Turret so what? All that means is that more of the gun is exposed.

People are freaking out about the Osty because the are lazy slugs who are sad that they can just strafe vehicles over and over and over again til they finally blow them up.

The Osty is awesome because it can knock your bellybutton down and take punishment. That is the entire point. QUIT STRAFING IT.

Panzers are great against Osty.
Osty are ok against Osty.
Bombers are great against Osty.
Dive-bombing fighters are great agaisnt Osty.
20mm Hispano's are ok if you do it right.

There is nothing wrong with the Osty. There MAY be other problems from the patch, such as bombs having been messed up (the modeling is wrong on some of them, etc) but there's nothing wrong with the Osty.

What is wrong from what I can tell is that lazy bellybutton pilots are whining because they want to be able to kill Flak Panzers as easy as they kill M16's.

Its a perfect example of overreation and too much whining, and I bet you anything that it gets the thing nerfed.

There are SO many ways to kill it. Give me a break.

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2000, 05:53:00 PM »
The Ostwind has 3134 kills and has been killed 1233 times

The Panzer IV has 1178 kills and has been killed 724 times.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2000, 12:10:00 AM »
Heh for Jerries, there was (is?, haven't tried patch yet) one way to kill an Ostwind in a javo plane; drop an egg straight down.

Not only is the gun more exposes; the Flakpanzer lacks an extra layer of turret armour. From what I've read about the Oswind, it was basically a 37mm and open turret mounted of a pnz's hull.

Which means that the hull itself was not modified much in terms of armour. With only a tin layer of armour, a 70-90 degree dive strafing attack with 30mm's should cause serious damage to the inside of the tank.

Ain't really whining; I love taking an egg equipped A8 and kill those flaks as they think "oh, I got it all sorted out, they all scared of me"  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2000, 01:23:00 AM »
anyway all of u read many books on WW2 and u know the AAA was the nighmare of all pilots
so dont DREAM be a big Ack Flak strafer hero :-))

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2000, 10:08:00 AM »
"sancho has 5 kills and has been killed 2 times in the N1K2 against the Ostwind."

250kg bombs dropped dead on seem to work for me.  Better work on your divebombing fellas.