Author Topic: Help a beginer choose a good starting firearm  (Read 3036 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Help a beginer choose a good starting firearm
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2003, 11:55:39 PM »
Like a salamander, you are having second thoughts. You are shrinking, and your two little balls are shrinking with ya. The fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun. And the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... **** off!

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2003, 11:55:39 PM »
Dune, thats exactly the kind of information and advice I want.

I was thinking of the Glock because it is simple to operate and reliable according to what Ive read and heard, and the .40 because I wanted something in between .45 and 9mm, so that I could use the other two calibers comfortably.

I dont really like the idea of a revolver, forgive my ignorance, but they just seem... quaint :)

I absorbed your point on shooting to kill when in real trouble. Hope it never gets to that point.

Swoop, nice story. If I was also there looking for a gun and heard that conversation, I would buy exactly the same gun the man got for his son :)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2003, 11:57:25 PM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Like a salamander, you are having second thoughts. You are shrinking, and your two little balls are shrinking with ya. The fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun. And the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... **** off!

Bullet Tooth Tony is one of the greatest characters in film history.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2003, 12:01:42 AM »
Nah, Bricktop was cooler than Tony.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2003, 12:11:21 AM »
But Colt's take much practice to really learn how to be proficeint with it and the CZ's are pricey.

welll..... about that 'practice'... first pistol i ever fired was a .45.. and because i had no bad habits to break and i had a good instructor i became proficient pretty quick.

and man, that .45 feels as good as my dick in my hand. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2003, 12:16:29 AM »
Yeah thanks for that image Hang.  Suddenly my breakfast doesnt look so good.

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2003, 12:17:17 AM »
Ouch, Hang...I didn't want to hear what you do in your off hours.

:D

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2003, 12:18:38 AM »
Damnit Hang...

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2003, 01:03:12 AM »
you don't want a gun, you'll just put your eye out

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2003, 01:14:27 AM »

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2003, 01:22:52 AM »
22cal bullets are very cheap, so you can spend alot of time at the range target shooting.  

22s arent very lethal, in fact, just a year or two ago here in Kentucky a store clerk was shot in the head with a 22.  The robber fired from about 10 feet away, and the clerk slumped to the floor.  Dead? No, the bullet bounced off his skull.

Bigger bullets are expensive, so it will cost most to practice at the range with a larger gun.  You can always get a larger gun later after you learn how to shoot proficiently.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2003, 01:33:54 AM »

Offline Fuzzy

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2003, 03:12:23 AM »
I own a Taurus Pt 105 .40. Great gun, accurate, easy to disassemble/assemble, reasonable recoil, good ammo choices. I also own a .357 Taurus, forget the number.
Anyways with the revolver you can shoot .357 mag and .38 special, so you have a whole lotta choice in ammo and quality of loads. Takes reloads without a problem. The auto however is more finicky and hates reloads. These 2 pistols I believe represent the best 1 shot to stop percentages of common handguns (excluding Desert Eagles and "custom"guns) read that somwhere anyways, that's why I got 'em. I went with the .40 over 9mm for stopping power and over the .45 for mag capacity. I get bullets from a USBP buddy, you should get a USBP buddy, too!

Also you should see if you want a small, medium, or large frame. I have big hands and prefer the large, howver the best feeling gun I have tried was a friend's Ruger 9mm, just felt..comfy. Custom grips are a definitely worth the cost. You should come to the mainland and go to a gunshop w/ a shooting range to try out different guns before you buy (not sure you have that where you live).

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2003, 03:59:56 AM »
Animal. You don't need to spend huge $$$ for your starting firearm. I found this one for $24.99.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2003, 04:04:08 AM »
lol.

April 1st was yesterday wasnt it?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2003, 05:19:18 AM by Swoop »