Author Topic: Help a beginer choose a good starting firearm  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Help a beginer choose a good starting firearm
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2003, 12:29:44 PM »
Guys, guys, I already got the info I needed. This thread is rightfully beet1e's now.

You all know all gun threads are his turf, so from now on, he can say all he wants.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2003, 12:30:45 PM »
Animal, check out that potato gun- it might be something to consider.

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2003, 12:46:00 PM »
animal....get a Kimber.

also, since you're a beginner, have you thought about revolvers? if so, Smith & Wesson... .44 with at least a 6" barrel.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2003, 01:23:20 PM »
I hope someone has advised you to hold the gun in your hand for a while.

A Glock tends to have bulkier more angular shape - which may not be convenient to hold and cause some pain/cramp your palm (thimb-index finger web) with recoil.

I found a thinner rounder handle of a Beretta or 1911 much easier to hold and cause no cramp after a lot fo shooting.

Inoidentally, I found perceived recoil of 1911 lighter than that of Beretta and much ligher than that of a Glock.
 Having a gun made of metal makes a lot of difference due to weight, not just the shape.

Anyway, I do not recommend either one of those two, though they are both great - try to shoot a few before you decide anything.

Revolvers are great for reliability, especially a close range defence (under 5 yards) and long-distance shooting like hunting and target at 200 yards - you can take your time and cock the hammer.

But a much greater trigger pull weight of a revolver compared to a tuned semi-auto makes certain types of defensive shooting - multiple shots at ranges over 5 yards - much less accurate, or ar least requiring more practice to master.

miko

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2003, 02:32:55 PM »
LOL Beatle  :D

The quotes you highlighted are a little more light hearted than you think.  :)  I guess its just the American humor mentality.

In terms of why we feel safer with defense weapons, there are areas of the country which are not exactly crime-free.  (Golden, CO is a very nice area).

In the bad areas around the major cities or even in small towns  its not at all uncommon for someone to break into your house in the middle of the night.  In addition, driving or walking through some of these area is also bad for your health.

I went to university in a smaller "steel/coal" town and clashes with the "townies" werent uncommon.  A good freind of mine had someone break into his house 4 times in one semester (needless to say, he relocated to a better area).

Ive never had to draw my 1911 on anyone, and I hope I NEVER do, but with some of the filth out there in the world today I feel better knowing that the wellbeing of myself and present companions is in MY hands.  I can defend myself instead of waiting for the police to show up and ask me questions about what happened (note: past tense).

IMO, if more responsible, law abiding citizens carried firearms, the country would be safer overall.  Crooks would think twice about attacking if armed "victims" were the rule and not the exception.

Offline krazyhorse

• Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2003, 03:34:39 PM »
my prefered handgun is my taurus ti .357 magnum, it is lightweight 19 0z , i can use 38 special ammo for practice as they are cheaper and very accurate, my second choice is my colt ultra elite 380 very fine weapon for an automatic ,both are very conceilable , however never a threat of a jammed cartridge with the revolver.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2003, 04:08:06 PM »
how do you guys post pictures now?  there is no "browse button" like in the faq anymore.
lazs

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2003, 04:16:44 PM »
Hey animal, missed this thread til earlier today. Are you leaning toward a revolver? I'd rethink that if I were you. This time last year I was making the same choice as you. I spent some time down at the range, etc. Talked to some friends, started a thread in here :).

I ended up buying a sig sauer p229. It's a 40 cal auto and a well built handgun. I never had a jamming problem with it. It is kinda like a revolver in that it does have a hammer you can pull back for your first shot. Glocks arent like that. None I've seen anyway. I have a friend who went shooting with me occasionally. He had a S&W .44, It was really no comparison between the guns. The sig fits the hand whereas the S&W's grip just doesn't.

I don't know what the muzzle velocity difference is, but I'd bet the sig is much higher. Just a better built gun. Better machined. That S&W revolver is kinda like an old corvette, it looks really impressive, but is more sloppily  engineered. And likes to spit powder in your face (i hear thats adjustable).

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2003, 04:24:44 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
how do you guys post pictures now?  there is no "browse button" like in the faq anymore.
lazs
You can still link them if you have a web host to place them on.  Read the f.a.q. if you want to see an example (button up top).

Basically... if its already on a web site (or accessable via url) you can post it as a pic unless the site with the pic has software that prevents it.  Like the pic above (Aces High) is located at http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/ah_bansm.gif can be linked using the vbb code "img, /img" in brackets:

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2003, 04:26:35 PM »

Lazs, you can link to a picture that is posted elsewhere on the internet... a public site, your own website, etc. For example I used the AH logo from this website.

Use the IMG option in the vB Code section of the thread editor. You should be able to right-click on the image you want and "copy image location" or words to that effect.

[edit: Holy Jeez, MiniD, get outta my head! That's creepy!]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2003, 04:29:45 PM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2003, 04:40:41 PM »
nope... don't have one of them.   why did they change it?  was pretty simple before.
lazs

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2003, 04:44:11 PM »
Doing it with the "attach file" involved storing the image on their server.  This way has always been there and does not require HTC to consume bandwidth on the images.

MiniD

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2003, 05:45:01 PM »
:eek:

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2003, 05:53:25 PM »
MiniD - I like your avatar. In your post above, that's how I imagine you as you try to explain this image attachment business to Lazs. ;)

Lazs - I told you! If you're having trouble, I'd be happy to host any pics for you till you get it figured out. -including that one of you holding the cat. :) They changed it because of the load on the server. Uploading a 100K pic - no big deal, but what happens when 500 people read that thread? That 100K has to be pulled off 500 times. That's what causes your FM2 to warp all over!

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2003, 11:39:58 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
lazs

Ok Laz, here's what you do.

Go to http://www.FreePicHosting.com and download the executable and open it.

Choose a user name and password, then start your free account.

To post an image from your hard drive:

Go online.

Left click in the lower left corner of the window display to bring your image onto the screen.  You must then "Publish" the image with a title you choose, in one of the normal catagories from a dropdown list.

Next, click on the "Stats" tab to get the URL for your image.  I write this info down on a piece of paper.

Save the image in your "Album" if you like.  Then exit the program.

............................. ............................. ............................. .................

When you come here to post a pic, click on the IMG tab above, and type in the URL info.  This will place the image in your message.  I tried it for the first time, and it worked.:)   See my Flat Top post.

If I can do it, anybody can!!!:D

Les