Author Topic: Unfair engine mute "cheat"  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2003, 02:23:15 PM »
I believe even some headsets can filter out certain noises, though I must admit to not understanding the technicalities.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline 420Fatty

• Zinc Member
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2003, 10:57:54 AM »
Originally posted by smash
I too wish I hadn't read this.

If it's a game - then it doesn't matter.

If it's a sim -  fix it.

LMAO.. but i dont know why.

Offline Deth7

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.pigstompers.net
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2003, 09:43:07 AM »
What works good is to dive in on an unsuspecting goon and kill my engine and then pick a wing to saw off:eek:
EA Still Blows...AOL Still Sux

Offline chance-airwolf

• Zinc Member
Oh please...
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2003, 08:25:10 PM »
I turn down the engine sounds cuz that droning sound puts me to sleep during extended late night flights... and I can't hear the TV or squaddies well either if its loud.  

And while we're whining about engine noise, don't you just hate it when another GV pulls up next to your camping spot and leaves their engine running?

But, hey!, for $9.95 a month, I'll adjust the sounds to suit my liking!

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2003, 09:32:34 PM »
I didn't think it was possible for my IQ to drop any further (how can you go below 0?), but after reading this thread, I believe negative numbers have been reached.

Offline Ike 2K#

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2003, 10:09:07 PM »
aw man, if this thread wasnt created, then everyone here will not know that you can turn off your engine sounds so that it will increase you situational awareness.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Oh please...
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2003, 03:02:27 AM »
Originally posted by chance-airwolf
I turn down the engine sounds cuz that droning sound puts me to sleep during extended late night flights... and I can't hear the TV or squaddies well either if its loud.  

And while we're whining about engine noise, don't you just hate it when another GV pulls up next to your camping spot and leaves their engine running?  
Well that's the answer then! Link ALL engine sounds to the player's OWN engine sound. That way, he can turn down the sound for his own engine and all others around him in a single slider movement, and his sleep will not be disturbed during extended late night flights either by his own engine, or that of a con 200 yards on his 6. It would also solve the GV camping spot problem, and remove the "cheat" mentioned in my initial post. Simple...

... so why the need for some people to get so bent out of shape over such a simple issue? :eek: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 03:04:58 AM by beet1e »

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2003, 03:26:31 AM »
This is a fine thread indeed.

400 players online, throttles to the max, burning spirals into the cathode monitor tubes in air-quake bliss, and complaining cool audio gameplay additions by HTC thwart their mastery of the skies? Jeezus, buy FB already and have something to do other than make up this retarded stuff.

I do hate everyone by default, but this justifies it. Pongo, stop being so funny, I can’t laugh so hard and hate anyone at the same time!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 03:29:17 AM by Creamo »

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
THE DREADED SA CHEAT
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2003, 09:09:20 PM »
What about the Situational Awareness Cheat.

Sometimes when I pick out my target,  The fool has the gaul to be paying attention!   The guy actually notices me and this creates a needless dogfight.    

I think using SA in the MA is down right cheating.   All players should fly along and not pay attention.  

I think this is a much larger and widespread problem than guys that tweak the sounds for greater enjoyment of AH.   I know dozens of Folks that acutualy employ Situational Awarness  when flying and thwart the easy kill.     I think SA should be banded,  or have all views but dead ahead disabled.   Better yet,  Perk Views!

Seriously I just dont think tweaking the sounds is a problem.  I think it just adds to my enjoyment of AH.

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2003, 06:33:06 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
You saying a real life pilot in a real p51 couldn't crack his cockpit & idle back for a second to listen for enemys? Can you prove that this never happened once?

No, it did not  happen.

Some reasons told already, more to consider.

- If opened in speed the canopy would rip off.
- Open canopy causes disturbance in slipstream and causes loss of speed.
- Canopy ripping off will cause even more loss of speed and structural damage.
- Not a single pilot purposedbly and willingly throttled down in possible hostile territory making himself much better, easier target.
- Also take into account the discomfort to the pilot from open canopy.
- The engine roar and wind blow would drown out any sound he might otherwise hear.

There are few instances when a pilot actually heard something, but those were something in extremerely close range - like hearing 20 mm cannon shells pass centimeters above the canopy or other plane almost in collision distance.

Whole canopy open idea or listening to enemy sounds is so far out that it is no more even amusing.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2003, 07:56:43 AM »
I fly everything standard

-gunsight

-tracers on

-volumes

-sounds

except the views they are customized

i heard of people having a over the nose second view evn that i do not have.

I bet a lot of dora pilots have it :)

Anyway i'm to lazy to change all that.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2003, 11:40:13 AM »
didnt read all the replies as this thread is too long. but im sure this has been said.

how bout maybe the nme fighter that you were "bouncing" saw you coming from D6K away. :confused:

i have seen fighters try to stalk me from miles away thinking they were pulling a big sneak and i roll out at D400 and blow there shot.

seems like you are crying because people wont hold still for your sissy snap shot and run like a girl tactics.

hell most times i fly with headphones on using IFR listening to music and i still dont get bounced.

Offline krazyhorse

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2003, 12:59:39 PM »
hehe beetle i remember that  i just got back from a peepee, checked my 6 and broke hard right just in the nick of time  ,shoo that was close.:D

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2003, 04:19:32 PM »
Yep it's true. Zeb has some ear protection which was specially made for him, and apparently they filter out certain sounds (frequencies?) so that others can still be heard. Noisy machinery sound is muffled, but he can still hear people talking.

even the most basic ear protection (muffs) will work this way.
The don't need to filter certain frequencies, they simply mute the white/pink nose a bit and cut the top off (frequencies again) so that you can hear sounds (those that don't 'drone') easier through all the 'droning'.. (white/pink noise)

like someone said earlier.. even the yellow sponge type of ear protection works this way.
Most rock guitar players use them for the same reason.. easier to hear thier individual notes (and save them from ear damage)