Author Topic: WWII Army Unit Research Help?  (Read 93 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
WWII Army Unit Research Help?
« on: October 20, 2000, 10:05:00 PM »
Guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out any.

I am doing some research on my Grandfather and his Army Unit's accomplishments during WWII. He passed away while I was still a very young child so I'm working from very sketchy tales passed down thru the family, and I'm just now starting to get the official information from the Government.

Basically he served from Oct 1940 thru I believe Dec. 1945 with the

38th Infantry Division (Louisville Legion?)
149th Infantry Brigade
3rd Battalion
K Company

From what I can find this Division was comprised of principally federalized National Gaurd Units from Illinois, Kentucky, and West Virginia.

From the information I have gathered from the web, this unit spent time in New Guinea, Leyte, Luzon, and the rest of the Phillipine liberation, seeing heavy combat.

If anyone can point me to websites with information, books with these units stories, or a Veterans Organization for this Unit, I would be deeply indebted to you.

PS: I was always told the story as a child that my Grandfather had been captured by the Japanese in the war for a short time and tortured in a cave for information until he was liberated by his fellow soliders. I had been somewhat skeptical until today, when I was sent an official copy of his seperation record. That record states that he was Missing in Action/Assumed captured for 21 days during the Phillipine campaign 1945. I'm still sitting here trying to absorb the enormity of what happened to him.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure