Author Topic: Found Some Treasures  (Read 311 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Found Some Treasures
« on: November 19, 2001, 09:23:00 PM »
http://www.raf303.org/308/photos/JMierzejewski-Logbook-Oct44.jpg
 http://www.raf303.org/308/photos/JMierzejewski-LogBook-Final%20Combat%20Flight.jpg

These are from the log books of Flight Lieutenant (Kapitan) Josef Mierzejewski, who flew in combat with 308 Squadron.  They were sent to me by his sons who found a link to our virtual squadron's website on a search engine.  All the hours spent on website creation, enduring all the Spitdweeb comments in the MA, all the money I have spent on books and research...  It all seems worthwhile when something like this happens.      :)

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2001, 05:10:00 AM »
if you think that its OK, then why not...

SPITDWEEB!

:D

(nice piece of documentation, Funked  :))

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2001, 08:38:00 AM »
That is pretty neat stuff Funked!  

Congrats on the website and the piece of "history" :)

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing those! Look at all the missions in such a short time. wow.  Strangely the Spit having an inline engine didn't seem to suffer a reputation as being fragile. From flack and ground damage as much as other inline engined aircraft. Or so it seems. It is my perception or was it indeed a pretty good ground attack plane also?

Westy

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2001, 08:56:00 AM »
Wow, 1,200h ... in 3 years. 20h for the month of October.
300h total on Spit IX, I wonder what he flew else to make "so much" time.
Funked, tell us more, I want to see his picture, combat record and beauuuuutifull plane      :D

Lot of bombing mission for a spitfire too, I would had never thought so. Good teaching. Each bomb sign is a bomb he carried? 1 bomb was a belly one, 2 bombs where the wing ones?

Do you know what the roman number represent? CXXXVI = 137. Look like it's incrementing with every flight, it's it's number of combat missions? Since the begining of the war or on the Spit9 only?

If it's spit 9 only, it makes 308/137=2.2h per mission, but it doesn't matches his average from October. Looks more like 1.1h per mission. 1 hour pretty close from the target, a little hop-kaboom-scretchscretch-tea, 2-3 times a day.

Olivier "Frenchy" Raunier

http://www.jump.net/~cs3" TARGET=_blank>63rd FS, 56th FG
"Zemke's Wolfpack"
Ammo cannot stand to pay our P47s repair bill anymore ...
Santa even talked about awarding me the Iron Cross!!!

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: SFRT - Frenchy ]
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by O'Westy:
It is my perception or was it indeed a pretty good ground attack plane also?

First, the pilots did not select the type of the aircraft or the mission type, so the suitability of a Spit is irrelevant to the missions they flew.
 Second, this is a flight journal of the guy who survived, so it may not reflect the average experience.
 Spit might well have been a good ground attack plane but it's just not enough info here to make any conclusions.

miko

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
Roger all that Miko. My perception on the durability of the Spitfire in ythe ground attack roll has nothing to do with the logs we were just shown. Seeing them just sparked the thought however.

For instance, the Mustang was notorious for being very fragile and prone to damage when flying ground attack. Sure much oif it was because of the coolant systme and that big scoop underneath but IMO the Spitfire should be no less vulnerable as it had the same engine and it also had the radiator expoded albeit under the wing. That would be imo just as easily hit as the Mustangs, or one would think.

Westy

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2001, 09:18:00 PM »
Thanks a lot, real history.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2001, 09:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys.  The cool part is that Mierzejewski's sons might be joining us for a trial of AH.            :)

Yes the Spitfire IX and XVI were used extensively for ground attack.  There were several wings of Spitfires in the 2nd TAF, which hit tactical targets all over Western Europe from early 1944 through the end of the war.  After Overlord most of them, including 308 Sqn, were based on the Continent, moving forward as the Allied forces advanced into Germany.

I think the Spitfires assigned to 2nd TAF were originally intended for air superiority, but since the Luftwaffe was all but extinct by that time, they ended up doing a lot of bombing and strafing.  During this time 308 Sqn destroyed 536 ground vehicles (anything from a Kubelwagen to a Panzer), 17 railway engines, 109 rail cars, 45 ships/barges/boats, and 28 buildings.

Frenchy guessed it right - 137 is the total number of combat missions that Mierzejewski flew during the war.  I believe the single bomb mark in the log signifies a centerline bomb and the second bomb mark signifies wing bombs.  The wing bombs were dropped together, so the number of bomb marks is the number of "pickles" on that sortie.

Mierzejewski did not see a single German aircraft in any of his 137 missions.  That gives you an idea of the kind of air superiority that had been achieved over Europe.  The biggest scrap 308 got into during that period was on 1 January, 1945 when the Luftwaffe launched the "Bodenplotte" offensive. 308 Sqn. and 317 Sqn. were just returning from a bombing sortie when they found their airfield at Ghent under attack by dozens of Fw 190's of Jagdgeschwader 1. The 18 Spitfires pounced on the attackers, destroying 19 of them in 20 minutes while losing only one aircraft.   Mierzejewski was on leave that New Year's Day (RHIP) so he missed out.  

Here's a photo of what the Germans did to the Ghent airdrome:

And here's a photo of Tadeusz Szlenkier with the 190 he shot down during that fight:

Mierzejewski survived the war, and settled with England and raised a family.  He has passed away but his twin sons and wife survive.  Many of the pilots in the Squadron settled in the same area, including Szlenkier and Link who are pictured.  Most of them are passed away also, but it seems quite a few of them remained close friends forever.

Yes there were some problems with doing ground attack in the Spitfire.  If you can see the panel lines under the nose in the photos below, that whole area in front of the carb intake scoop was the glycol tank.  And the radiators and oil cooler are hanging out in the breeze under the wings.  So they were quite vulnerable to ground fire.  A bullet hitting the underside of the plane from the nose back to the trailing edge of the wing had an excellent chance of knocking out the cooling and/or lubrication system.  Many aircraft were lost in that way.  It was risky business, and at low altitude there was not a great chance to bail out or find a safe landing spot if you lost power.  But quite a few of the pilots were able to crash land or bail out, and there are some stories of 308 Sqn pilots walking back from behind enemy lines.

Here are some other photos as requested:

Mierzejewski (at right) with his ground crew before that final mission to Flushing.

Same photo session.  Standing are pilots Dolicher, Josef Mierzejewski, Witold "Jimmy" Link.

Mierzejewski's last flight with 308, postwar.  Spitfire Mk. XVI.  Witold "Jimmy" Link, Josef Mierzejewski, Unidentified Pilot.

This is my favorite one.  Jack Mierzejewski has a great caption for it:  " an evocative portrayal of what must be
the summer of 44, in a front line field in Belgium (it's still obviously
warm), with preparations for a party. US, UK and Polish flags on the tree,
camouflage net half-heartedly draped over the wing (enemy attack obviously
not a concern), female company obviously present."

I like these guys.  In a war zone and they've got chicks and beer.          :D

There are more photos of 308 aircraft and personnel (not from Mierzejewski, mostly scanned from books) on our website:  www.raf303.org/308/photos

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2001, 11:24:00 PM »
Nice photos. It is interesting to see personal photos of those who went through the real thing.  (That didn't come out very well, but I can't figure out how to say what I wanted to say)

O'Westy,

The Spitfire was renown for having the same problems as the Mustang.  In both cases their radiators and oil pans are vulnerable to the point that a single rifle calibre hit can doom the fighter.  This isn't so surprising when you consider that they are using the same engine.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
Outstanding, Funked. Thanks a lot.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2001, 09:11:00 AM »
Thanks Funked !  :)

Excellent.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
Wow. Thanks Funked. These are nice!

Well, I figured the Spitfire guys doing ground work had it just as bad as any of the other Allied pilots. I imagine my limited knowlege of how things were for the RAF from 1943 is due to me being American and how Yank-centric the history is over here for that period (and on) for the war. The book shelves are filled here with accounts of the USAAF fighterpilots, fighterbombers guys, gunners bomber pilots etc etc from 1943 on. But not so much for what happened for the Canadian, Australian, British etc etc. Let alone the Italians, Soviets or Japanese. Seems there's more LW authored books out on the shelves here than any by pilots of the other Allied nations.

Westy

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
Excelent Funked. tyvm.
Any idea on what type of aircraft he flew those 900h?
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
Found Some Treasures
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
Frenchy I think it's mostly Spitfires.  308 had Mks. II, V, IX, and XVI.  We'll get the rest of the log book on the web soon I hope.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]