Author Topic: Rudders and Stuff  (Read 462 times)

Offline SimSaint

• Zinc Member
Rudders and Stuff
« on: April 14, 2003, 01:34:59 PM »
I have a few questions for you well experienced players.

When you make turns how much rudder/ail do you use.

And how effective is it.

Honestly i don't use them that much.
I find that by the time i start getting the rudder/ail moved along my turn is over and i straighten out.

Also im in a Fm2 and someone else is in a 190.

So in waht way would it have been possiable for him to tail me and stay with me in turning.

I know you could answer that by saying "i suck" but thats not helping.

I mean i was using a downword spiral trying to get our e to equalize like i read in tactics, but he was able to tail me.....

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Rudders and Stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 02:37:01 PM »
I'll try and answer where I can:

I use rudder to aid in roll (initiating roll, not really roll rate) and in firing mostly, though some people use it more.  Rudder use tends to cause lots of side-slip, which is very draggy, so limiting rudder use is good unless you are looking to slow down quickly.  For firing, fine-tuning your aim with rudder is almost a necessity.

Your second question about the FM2 vs. 190, it depends on a lot of factors.  All aircraft in AH have a turn-rate/radius that changes with speed.  Some aircraft have better turn-rate at high speeds, some at low speeds, some at very high speeds.  The 190's tend to be good high speed turners, but poor low speed turners.  The FM2 is pretty good at most speeds though holds no advantage at high speeds.  Your decending spiral ensured high speeds which played right into his hands.  If you'd slowed the fight down a bit, depending on 190 version you were facing, the difference in turn rate may have been very significantly in your favor.  If you could have equalized E, then slowed things down a bit, you'd likely have pulled around on him if he didn't decide to try and run.

-Soda
AH Trainer Corps
The Assassins.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Rudders and Stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 02:57:35 PM »
The only time I really use my rudder for turning is when I'm in the P-38.  Its a habit I picked up in Air Warrior to help the plane roll out of the way of an opponent's guns.  Rudder also comes in handy for getting out of stalls and spins, and for aiming guns that are just a little off the mark.

The rudder also comes in handy when aiming the main gun in a tank or M8, to turn the vehicle without having to change positions.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Rudders and Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 03:31:24 PM »
You weren't turning hard enough, or you sustained your turn long enough for him to have a 90degree deflection shot on you. Personally, I don't use any rudder while turning. I use it to aid rolling in fights at low speed, when aiming, or when I need to decelerate in a hurry.
Army of Muppets

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
Rudders and Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 03:44:37 PM »
this is advice from some of the best saint, listen to them. didnt know u could use rudders in gv, i use them when gunning bombers, more tips that come in handy

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Rudders and Stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 03:54:28 PM »
If that 190 chopped throttle he could stay inside your turns all day in that downward spiral.

The 190 doesn't have to turn very much to keep his nose on you, because his roll rate will do it for him.

In FM2 keep it horizontal as much as possible vs. 190s until you win the advantage or he runs away.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Rudders and Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 04:19:03 PM »
At least for me flying the P-38L, rudders are as valuable to me as my flaps are.  I use them to aid my roll, turns, to burn off some E if needed, etc...  Without rudders, flying the P-38 wouldn't be as easy as it is.

As for the FM2 vs. 190 fight, like Furious said, he probably was able to stick with you by using his superior roll rate to keep with you in your downward spiral.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Rudders and Stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 04:26:28 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
 Without rudders, flying the P-38 wouldn't be as easy as it is.

That goes for all the planes as well.  Never use rudder when i turn, but when rolling i use it 99% of the time.