Author Topic: Own part of a B-17 and help a good cause  (Read 258 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Own part of a B-17 and help a good cause
« on: April 17, 2003, 01:36:05 PM »
===From AVweb=======

Here's a chance to own a swatch of history and help keep it in the air. On April 5, a hailstorm hit the Dallas-Fort Worth area, damaging two of the Collings Foundation's prized possessions: its B-17 and B-24. The historic bombers were parked outside at the Addison Airport during the unforeseen storm and were significantly damaged by the hail. The foundation reports the fabric-covered ailerons and elevators on both planes were destroyed by the hail and wings were dented. The paint was also damaged on both aircraft. Now, the organization is launching a unique fundraiser to get the aircraft back in top-notch shape. The foundation borrowed some of the required control surfaces for temporary use, compliments of the Lone Star Flight Museum of Galveston, Texas, and the Commemorative Air Force Gulf Coast Wing in Houston, Texas, to keep the aircraft flying until permanent replacements can be found. To help fund the repairs the organization is offering a limited-edition series of framed 8x10s of each aircraft, which include a picture of the aircraft, its individual history, and a swatch of fabric from the plane's control surface. Individual displays can be obtained for a donation of $150 per unit and the pair can be ordered for $275. For more information, visit the Foundation's Web site at http://www.collingsfoundation.org .

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 02:24:35 PM »
Great idea.

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 05:56:54 PM »
just some fyi on collings.  I worked with the houston chapter for awhile when I lived in Houston and they are some of the finest people I have ever met.  I have been involved with a couple different restoration groups and they are heads and shoulders above the rest.

Tommy Garcia, the leader of the gang in Houston is one top notch guy and beyond dedicated.  If you can, help these guys out.

I know the B-17 and B-24 are from the headquarters in Stowe but its all one happy family.

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 06:12:39 PM »
:(

I'm a member of the foundation and have flown on the '909' three times. Easily one of the most memorable experiences of my life. hopefully they will be able to repair and tour this spring/summer. Check their website to see if they are in your neck o' the woods, its an experience you won't soon forget.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 06:21:36 PM »
i have flown on the 909..FUKN GREAT..we were buzzing the LAKE..DAM..it was kik as$$$$$..

i wnat to fly in the Lib next:)...dam i wnat to sit in the sperry nose gun:)