Author Topic: MA Strat. Why Always?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« on: April 15, 2003, 04:19:25 PM »
In a related thread having to do with the porking of fuel, those that complained were told to, "buck it up, and fly a goony".  This misses the point entirely.  

AH is entertainment.  It should always be entertaining.  The MA strat can make it not entertaining.  Therefore, we are sometimes paying to be not entertained.  So...

2 questions:

Is the MA supposed to simulate war?

Is the MA a game based on war?

If the answer to the first is yes, we have a whole lotta problems.  We all now that in its present form, the MA cannot be this.  ToD might be a good try.

If the answer to the second is yes, then why does all of the fighting in the MA need to be in relation to a bastardized notion of stategic targets.

Admit it.  Our strat is gamey.  It may be fun to blow up, but its still gamey.  

Why not offer options to folks, within the paradigm of the MA, to not partake of "strat"?  I see no reason why some areas can't be devoid of strat targets.  Areas that in them selves have no bearing on the outcome of the "war".  

The naysayers ask, "Furious, why don't you just go to the DA?".

My answer:

Because AH is nothing else if not a community.  I like to partake of the community.  The community is in the MA.  

More options are not bad things.  

I know that this has no bearing on the current AH1 MA.  But hopefully HT and co. will design in more options for the future.

F.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 04:50:34 PM »
Furious...

I think you are just trying to beef up your number of posts :D. This is a thinly veiled 'give us a fighter town' thread :).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 04:54:48 PM »
You may be right, but I wasn't thinking of it that way.

I was thinking  of multiple pockets where no strat items would exist.  Not necessarily a "dedicated fighter town".

Dirt runways with maybe limited spawning.  That type of thing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 04:59:25 PM by Furious »

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 05:41:28 PM »
I'll sign... and maybe some way to automatically rip a person's wingtips off if they go above 8k? :D
Army of Muppets

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 05:47:26 PM »
OK, so you want a BIG furball arena. Why does everything think that splitting off into multiple arenas will harm the community? There are thousands of Quake FPS style servers, and they are all relatively small, 64 players or less. Yet none of these folks complain about a lack of community. That what the BB is for. I really think they should have opened a new MA at 500 players, this lag is getting really bad.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 05:52:04 PM »
Originally posted by g00b
OK, so you want a BIG furball arena. ...

Point to where I indicated this.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 08:00:16 AM »
I think the problem is that there are a lot of new guys who don't have a lot of skill so they feel comfortable in a large group..  they may not kill anything but they stay alive a lot longer.. they also get to feel like they are a part of some sort of a "victory" when they join the gamgbang "missun" ... some, simply think they are WWII pilots.

I allways looked at these sims as being a simulation of the height of prop planes.... WWII... I want the best FM's and damage and gunnery...  I have allways been a history buff and like mechanical things... I allways wanted to see how this or that plane would do against it's peers.   Gangbangs and strat hold no appeal for me.
lazs

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 08:37:14 AM »
If its capturable, the Bishops will capture it.  See Tank Town on Trinity.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Re: MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 10:38:09 AM »
Originally posted by Furious

AH is entertainment.  It should always be entertaining.  The MA strat can make it not entertaining.  Therefore, we are sometimes paying to be not entertained.  

The naysayers ask, "Furious, why don't you just go to the DA?".

My answer:

Because AH is nothing else if not a community.  I like to partake of the community.  The community is in the MA.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The majority evidently find the MA strat not only entertaining, but very much entertaining.
If your complaining about paying for something to entertain you ,and it is not doing so, then you are the only one that holds the key to the solution for this.
You say AH is nothing else if not a community and you like to partake of the community. Evidently the "community" enjoyment is coming from something that you dislike and find irritating.
You state the community is in the MA. You have answered your own questions with this. You either like it or don`t like it. The MA is either entertaining to you as it`s set up , or it`s not entertaining. You can either be part of the community or choose not to do so. No one is forcing you to do anything against your own wishs.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 10:50:10 AM »
So I guess what is needed is one big arena, with a tank town, a fighter town, a strat area, a boat area, etc., etc., etc.   All in the name of "community".  I guess "community" means it adds to the enjoyment to be able to put down others for their preferred style of play while engaged in yours?  That's the only purpose I can see for having it all in one arena. This would bring channel 1 to a whole new level of idiocy.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2003, 11:19:18 AM »
Arfann, you having a bad day?

...anyway.

The new maps have 262,144 square miles.  Seems to be more than enough room for a few different options.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 11:54:03 AM »
I love the game.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Elysian

• Nickel Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 12:22:31 PM »
Beefing up the amount of ord it takes to kill fuel would do a lot for my mental well-being.  You realize a half-ass tiffie pilot can reduce a small base's fuel to 25% singlehandedly right?

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 12:57:13 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
Arfann, you having a bad day?

No, but thanks for caring.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
MA Strat. Why Always?
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 01:46:30 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I think the problem is that there are a lot of new guys who don't have a lot of skill so they feel comfortable in a large group..  they may not kill anything but they stay alive a lot longer.. they also get to feel like they are a part of some sort of a "victory" when they join the gamgbang "missun" ... some, simply think they are WWII pilots.

I allways looked at these sims as being a simulation of the height of prop planes.... WWII... I want the best FM's and damage and gunnery...  I have allways been a history buff and like mechanical things... I allways wanted to see how this or that plane would do against it's peers.   Gangbangs and strat hold no appeal for me.
lazs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It`s not a problem with new guys flying with a group. It`s great. The new guys can get the feel of the game and the way each plane handles , etc. When they feel they have became a part of some kind of a "victory" is usualy when they have been a part of something that was a success. If it was a success, then it means someone dropped the ball on the other end, ie. no defense. If dar is not porked it`s no mystery what the big dar bar is way in advance. You have the choice of becoming part of the defense well in advance or kickin back, letting it happen , and cruise off to calmer waters. We, the Bish, have been gettin our proverbial behinds kicked lately, mostly because we have been dropping the ball and lack of SA, but it has been a ball getin there. There`s definitely been no lack of action in the air. You can always find a good fight. If youre not finding one, your not looking very hard. If strat holds no appeal to you I`m afraid you picked the wrong game, or more accurately, the wrong arena. Most of us like to do a little of all of it, in other words, we play the game. An arcade type shootem up with no ends or means wouldn`t appeal to us. That`s why we picked AH to begin with.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------