Author Topic: Rodney King  (Read 3107 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Rodney King
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2003, 09:33:00 AM »
Heh, try to justify that beating all you will.

When a person or persons is given a position of power and authority, I expect them to live up to the responsibility that comes with it.

Police, by virtue of the profession, must be better than common thugs, violent drug addicts and whatnot.

They are expected to be trained to handle violent people and have the mental discipline to use what force is necessary to subdue a violent person.

Now, 4 guys smashing on for five minutes on a guy lying down is, in my book, excessive. They could have used a tenth of the force they used to subdue the dude.

He might have called them names, kicked, spat and hit at them. Since police officers deal, on a regular basis, with the scum of society, they are supposed to be trained on how to deal with such individuals. They are also expected to have mental discipline enough not to fall down to the levels of common street thugs.

Anyone arguing that they did not use excessive force either hasn't seen the video or has amnesia. Look at one thing and one thing only; could they have used substantially less force to subdue the man? The answer is a resounding 'yes'. That they didn't may have many reasons, including him spiting/resisting them, but the fact of the matter is that they lost self control and in turn did something illegal themselves, and in doing so violated the trust and authority put in them by the general population.

And good cops get all kind of crap based on their behavior. It's sad when a whole community is judged by the actions of a few rotten apples, but that always happens with some groups. If, however, the group doesn't distance itself from the bad apples or even try to defend their actions well then they are considered equal to 'em.

The cops I've met here have been good cops, with only one exception. There are thse who are in it for the power trip, bt that is a very small minority. They don't get enough respect, that is very true - but that doesn't in any way justify the excess of violence comitted against that no good idiot moron ****e, 3.8 million dollars and he cannot pull his shie together - truly pathetic. Still, the violence was excessive no matter how I feel about King.

Btw; this isn't a reps vs dems issue. I am sure such labelling help you to justify ignoring the other guys argument, but this has nothing to do with it. Especially as us Europeans aren't reps or dems.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 09:36:01 AM by StSanta »

Offline BEVO

• Copper Member
Rodney King
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2003, 11:10:18 AM »
I think Mr. King deserved to get his bellybutton kicked, and I hope they kick his bellybutton again.......... I also think those two guys that drug that poor man to his death in Jaspar Tx, deserved to be drug to death themselves.......... Do I still think I have white sheets Midnight?

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Rodney King
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2003, 11:50:22 AM »
BEVO - anyone who turns this into a race issue isnt interested in discussing the actual occurance.

BTW - awesome avatar.  :D

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Rodney King
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2003, 12:07:24 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Whooo eeeee!

The white sheets are back from the cleaners I see.

I am enjoying the rantings of the country bumpkin sociologists.

Offline BEVO

• Copper Member
Rodney King
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2003, 12:52:17 PM »
saur, I agree.

oh and thanks!:D

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Rodney King
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2003, 12:57:08 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Whooo eeeee!

The white sheets are back from the cleaners I see.

Yes how dare we suggest that a black man should be punished for his crimes.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Rodney King
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2003, 01:00:59 PM »
I heard that the rioters are so ashamed of rodney that they are returning looted goods today.
lazs

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Rodney King
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2003, 02:19:51 PM »
IIRC, the beating Rodney King took was unjustified. He was guilty of failure to stop, speeding, reckless driving. Was he under the influence of alcohol?
He was not under angel dust, that was a statement made by one of the police officers in his defense of his justifying the beating. From what I remember, they didn't look like they were trying to subdue him but beat the living daylights out of him.
Imagine you're told to stay still all the while you're being painfully beaten. Hard to keep from writhing in pain. Yet they still beat away.
Under the influence of angel dust? If one is under the influence of that powerful animal (horse) tranquilizer, they are impervious to pain. No beating, even those that result in broken bones would stop the one under influence. Notice when he was finally face down, they still were beating on him. One of the cops was even targeting the back of his knees with repeated strikes...after he was face down. The resulting pain (survival instinct) was to keep moving.
The "Angel Dust" was a legal defensive ploy.

If the cops were in the right, why were their reports of the incident fabricated? Seems they knew from the outset it was wrong to beat someone to a pulp.

What if that were you or a family member being beaten? Hard to stay still under constant beatings. Pain has a way all its own. Would you still be so understanding?

Bottom line, the cops didn't do the right thing in that case.

There was no excuse what so ever of that beating Brian (IIRC his name, the truck driver). that was attempted homicide, maybe attempted murder.  I don't know how long those that threw objects at his head had the notion of "getting back" at someone. They were throwing at his head which surprisingly he didn't die from.
In both these instances, the perpetrators doing the acts were guilty IMHO. If I was an eyewitness to the Rodney beating, I would have trestified against the cops.

If I were in the LA area and seeing that lethal force being used against another individual (like what happened against the truck driver) and no police around to keep order, I would have shot at those trying to kill another (if my verbal warning wasn't heeded)....regardless of the skin color of those involved.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Rodney King
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2003, 02:22:22 PM »
Martlet,
Just noticed your sig.

"Being ignored by: Straffo, miko2d, Zembla"

If you get 5 to ignore you, do you become an ace?
:D
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Rodney King
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2003, 02:35:47 PM »
Originally posted by SaburoS
Martlet,
Just noticed your sig.

"Being ignored by: Straffo, miko2d, Zembla"

If you get 5 to ignore you, do you become an ace?
:D

Nah, you probably get banned.  ;)

Unless, of course, you realize that it's only the morons that ignore me.  I'm still waiting for Blitz and Baroda.

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
Rodney King
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2003, 02:57:28 PM »
When a dude is on the ground, curled up like a fetus, he is no longer a threat.  His beating went on long past that point.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Rodney King
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2003, 03:00:59 PM »
I wouldn't beat him, I wouldn't want him bleeding on me. I wouldn't want to touch him. What if he got aids? If I was a cop there, the one that makes him bleed is the one who has to cuff him and book him. butter that.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Rodney King
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2003, 03:01:14 PM »
There is a guy who drives around our condo development that is going to get Rodney'd pretty soon if he does cease and desist.

He drives like a lunatic and endangers everyone living there by being an idiot behind the wheel.  He was asked to slow down once by an old man who lives a few doors down from me.  He slammed his brakes and the wife said it looked as if he was going to fight the old guy.  When my wife ran in and told me about it I ran out to confront this little salamander, but he took off before I could get to the car.  If he comes close to hitting my family or me I'll Rodney him and post a pic for all to see.

The night Rodney King got beaten he nearly killed a bunch of people in the chase you DIDN'T see in the video.  He was drunk and on crack.  He resisted arrest.  

He deserved an bellybutton whooping.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Rodney King
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2003, 04:53:58 PM »
Curval - stop ruining this thread with FACTS!!!!

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
He got what he deserved...
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2003, 05:10:55 PM »
Its called Karma.. he was a pile of **** and needed a good beating.

But the cops should have controlled themselves better, they should not do those things, Rodney just got unlucky and pissed off the wrong cops, but that does not make him any less of a scum bag..

Maybe the cops could have handled it better, hell just by beating the camera man and taking the tape  even!! :D