Author Topic: MoBos with sound "built in"  (Read 321 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
MoBos with sound "built in"
« on: April 21, 2003, 10:01:33 AM »
Is this such a bad thing afterall?

Abit KD7 Raid has 6-channel "built in" sound but is it better than a dedicated sound card?  Im not so sure.

Anyone know whether a sound card can be used with a MoBo with sound already built in?  Can the MoBo sound system be turned off?  Any compatability problems between MoBos like this and sound cards?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 10:13:41 AM »
onboard sound can be disabled and an external card installed in the slot which shared the irq with the onboard sound keeping things simple...

that said - my onboard sound on my Asus is more than enough for me
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 10:28:14 AM »
I've got an Asus A7n8x Deluxe nForce2 motherboard, and my onboard sound is better then most of the standalone sound cards out there.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 11:08:42 AM »
I had to disable onboard sound as there was no joystick port on my mobo. he jumpers worked as advertised and my SB16pro is working fine with no conflicts. My son's system HAS a joystick port and it and the sound work as well as my system does. Make yer choice and pay yer $ I guess.:p
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 05:50:00 PM »
On the whole, onboard sound is adequate.  There are some boards out there that use the nForce 1 and 2 chipsets (usually "Deluxe" versions like the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and Abit NF7-S) with onboard sound that beats out even an Audigy 2 in performance and matches it in features.

Check out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/game/20030405/index.html

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 11:38:59 PM »
Yeah the nForce sound is pretty cool.  There were some driver problems, but the 2.00 driver revision fixed all that.