Author Topic: banana...any luck with BF1942?  (Read 683 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
banana...any luck with BF1942?
« on: April 22, 2003, 07:22:03 AM »
Just curious.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 11:27:16 AM »
Thanks for asking, Curval! :)

Yep, got it fixed last night. There is a file in the install tree of BF1942, called DefaultVideo.con, that controls whether or not any vertical refresh rate is allowed when you start up the game. By default, it is disabled, so because my vertical refresh rate is set at 85hz, the game wouldn't accept that and allow the game to start. But by changing the value of that line from a "0" to a "1", I was able to enable any refresh rate, thereby getting myself into the game no problem.

I'm pretty savvy when it comes to software, so the logic behind the file made sense to me, and allowed me to figure out that that was my problem. But I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to someone who doesn't work with software every day. So what it boiled down to was that the people whose vertical refresh rate was below the magic number(whatever they set that at) had no problems starting the game....while those folks like me with a vertical refresh rate of 85 or higher would get dumped back to the desktop! :eek:

If all software companies were as bright as HTC, life in computer gaming would be a lot less painful!

Anyway, I'm up & running and having a ball in there. We should get a bunch of AH guys together and form a clan, eh? :)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 12:21:24 PM »
Clan?  Leave Clans for the Scots...let's start a "Platoon".  I have a guy here who would be keen...let me know if you are serious.  He is good at tanks...sniping is my specialty.  I don't fly the planes...after AH is just seems silly in BF1942.  ;)

Given your savy maybe you can suggest a fix for my video problem.  I am getting random lines and flickering constantly.  The lattest advice (from some pimply faced 14 year old ;) ) was to disable V-Synch....is that at all logical?

What you describe in your fix is what is known on the BBS as the refresh rate fix...could my problem be at all related?  Mine does run though, just graphics are ****ty.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 12:58:39 PM »
banana Johnson is Right!

Hehe..banana, Curval...I'm in if you guys start up an AH Platoon.

Getting Killed in everyway imaginable is my specialty!

Stringer Johnson :)

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 01:03:36 PM »
Originally posted by banana
Anyway, I'm up & running and having a ball in there. We should get a bunch of AH guys together and form a clan, eh? :)

Im really good in bombing the japanese fleets :D

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 01:21:48 PM »
Send me an e-mail at mrwolf_riaz@yahoo.com if you are interested and we will get a "crack suicide" squad together.  ;)

It would be cool to play with guys from AH.

Make sure you get a copy of Roger Wilco installed and working..there is no in game voice like AH, just keycommands for basic orders.

Name suggestions for the squad/platoon?

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 01:46:10 PM »
Cobra John....erm, I mean Stringer Johnson is right!  :D

LOL, let's do it guys, this will be fun. I can't dedicate a whole lot of time to it, but if we kept it to once a week(weekends preferable) then I'm in.

I recommend the name.... The Johnsons.  Stringer Johnson, banana Johnson, Curval Johnson, Beefcake Johnson, Wldthing Johnson.

You guys gotta watch "Blazing Saddles" to get the joke. :)

Email otw Curval.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 01:56:00 PM »
The only change to the name would be "The FIGHTING Johnsons"!

Email otw to Curval when I get home this evening!

**Edit...or Ron Jeremy's Johnsons :D

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 02:14:46 PM »
Btw Stringer Johnson, you really need to get back into the GROWL swing of things. We're getting some new guys from Warbirds and that will put us over 12 regulars each week! Your car is still there waiting for you, right where you left it. :)

http://forums.speedgeezers.com/cgi-bin/iB311/ikonboard.cgi?;act=SF;f=18

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 02:27:57 PM »
I checked with my buddy here...he is in.

We already have the makings of a very bad bunch of Johnsons.

;)

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 05:44:52 PM »
I have a question about Bf1942...

There seems to be alot of cheating with the online play. I have heard of people being able to get rid of the fog and the recoil. I didnt believe it but was wondering if it was true.

I have been playing for about 2 weeks now and I am getting frustrated with it. I cant seem to kill with anything but the sniper. The recoil is just to great. I can be killed by folks with a Bar at great distances which makes me believe the cheats are true.

So now I just hide in the bushes and pick people off which I enjoy but would love to beable to run around and capture flags also. Is it just me?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2003, 06:20:12 PM »
There ARE cheats out there..that is for sure.  I've been informed of the "Wall" cheat whereby guys can see through them and shoot you from behind walls...I've also been told there is an "Aim" cheat which enables kills with any type of weapon to hit even running opponents.

The new patch will apparently stop all this when released, but will disable client-side mods, such as the Blood mods which give a gore factor to the game.

Platoon vs Platoon would be the way to handle this for now.  We could just challenge other platoons.

I know Creamo plays...maybe if he can drag some of the FDBs away from the sheep pens we could get a game organised.:)

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2003, 06:49:00 PM »
I heard about the new patch. Does that mean no more Desert Combat? Im still learning the ropes of Bf1942. I go there when I have the urge for some killing which is usually after I get my arse handed to me in AH.

I noticed people calling for artillery. How does one place the shots where they are needed. I try to be a team player but I dont even know how to communicate besides the F keys.
Hmmm maybe I should read the book if I could only find it.

Which server do you usually play on?

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2003, 07:21:03 PM »
I play almost nightly. banana ICQ me.. I'll join you guys.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 09:31:25 AM »
Sunking...e-mail me at the address in this thread if you are serious.

Looks like The Fighting Johnsons will be a reality.:)

I figure Saturday or Sunday night for a get together.

I normally play on the EA servers, but don't care where we go.