Author Topic: To trim or not to trim, that is the question  (Read 925 times)

Offline AWLysol

• Zinc Member
To trim or not to trim, that is the question
« on: April 22, 2003, 03:18:37 PM »
Long time AW player, dropped out of AH for stick cal reasons, bored, gonna give 'er another go soon. Always had trouble with trim, I think that as much as calibration killed me as often as not. Looking for trim tips obviously. On or off etc etc. I remember always fighting against my own plane so much trying to keep guns on target that I could hardly ever get a stable platform. How do I avoid this problem? I was pretty durn decent in AW FR before I started playing in the kiddie pond out of boredom and I'd like to be able to enjoy AH as much as I did AW.

Call me names if ya wanna, just provide valuable tips, ok? >8^)

For all my friends an' enemas who might read this:
BAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 03:31:10 PM »
I usually stick with combat trim (automatic). If anything I'd have that and at least elevator trim mapped. Elevator trim can help get your plane out of compression. Many times I've lawn darted it (especially in the 109 here) and finally saw the light. If you start to compress and you're getting close to terra firma might be a good idea to dial in a little up trim--and quickly! hehe

Another thing trim is useful for is when you're damaged--some part of your plane is missing. That way you can sometimes compensate and get yourself flying somewhere closer to straight and level with your stick somewhere closer to center.

I like to manual trim when on landing approach too. Autotrim seems to want to keep me in a nose high state when I get slow. Too high for my liking anyway. So I dial in some nose low trim.

Welcome to AH former AW bro.

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 03:55:33 PM »
Hi Lysol!  :)  Well, I keep Combat Trim turned on, but if I do need any manual trim it will override Combat Trim, which will cut back in as soon as you make a manual change of direction or angle.  When formation flying in bombers, for instance, a little left or right rudder trim is useful (J or L), and when landing, some down elevator trim (I) is useful.

There is an excellent section at Netaces.org on Auto Trim in Aces High which is well worth reading.  

Good Luck!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 07:07:38 PM »
After flying RR AW for so long, I thought one of the hardest things to learn when moving to AH would be the trim system.  It turned out to be one of the easiest things to learn and after awhile becomes almost second nature.  There are things you have to know though, like which planes Combat Trim is effective in and what planes it isn't.  Since I fly the P-38L, I use manual trim since Combat Trim is ineffective in the P-38L.  The thing that helped me was Lephturn's article on AH trim, where he details the pros and cons of both manual and combat trim.

Lephturn's article on AH trim

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 07:24:51 PM »
I fly with combat trim off. I toggle it to clean up my trims after a dogfight or serious B&Z session. I own the 568 Combatstick. If I had the FighterStick with the extra 4 way hat I'd map trims to it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 08:03:38 PM »
Originally posted by SunKing
I fly with combat trim off. I toggle it to clean up my trims after a dogfight or serious B&Z session. I own the 568 Combatstick. If I had the FighterStick with the extra 4 way hat I'd map trims to it.

I've got an older version of the Combat Stick,  a Jane's F-16 Combat Stick and have the elevator and aileron trimmed to the upper right 4 way.  Since I also have a Pro Throttle, I have the rudder trimmed on the index finger 4 way hat switch.  But I rarely use either the aileron or rudder trim in the P-38 and only times I find myself using them is to compensate for battle damage to my flight controls.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline AWLysol

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 06:24:20 AM »
Thanks for the tips y'all. Looks like I might be awhile yet, Saitek stick still not playing well with W2k and/or Dell's USB port. Might get tired enough to get another or format. Muuuahahahahah.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 06:56:56 AM »
X45 & ch pro peds here - never have used combat trim - have trim set to rotors on throttle

always thought combat trim was for newbies but discovered many good sticks use it also (Exile's H2H ladder)

get another hard drive, dual boot to win98 for games and X45 works like a champ
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 12:48:20 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
always thought combat trim was for newbies but discovered many good sticks use it also (Exile's H2H ladder)
I always thought that about auto-takeoff, but can't believe how many long-time players apparently do use it!  It's something I've just never considered using.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline AWLysol

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 01:03:59 PM »
I like auto takeoff if only because it gives me a chance to look around for vulchin' enemas. The only thing that sucks worse than being vulched is being shot down period.

Saitek has sent me some things to try, I got AH downloaded and installed last night so hopefully I'll be providing y'all lots of targets of opportunity pretty soon. I already made my "Fresh Meat" banner and hung it on all my planes of choice so I should be easy to spot.

lysol
Just Itchin' to Shoot Somebody Down Again

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 01:59:29 PM »
I only use manual for P-38s or 109G-10s.  In other planes I just leave combat trim on, unless i get part of my wing shot off and need to trim it to try to keep it in the air.

Trim is useful in all fighters for getting out of a compressed dive but autopilot 'x' does the same thing.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 02:12:34 PM »
I fly with Combat Trim off.  I find it often puts you in the wrong trim for your next move, then slowly tries and catches up.

I mostly fly the Typhoon and if you're caught turn fighting in it with combat trim ON then it often puts you into a flat spin!  Not good!
NEXX

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 02:16:15 PM »
Originally posted by Flossy
I always thought that about auto-takeoff, but can't believe how many long-time players apparently do use it!  It's something I've just never considered using.  :)

I always use auto-takeoff!  I got fed up of spinning F4U-Cs on the runway and occasionally crashing them so since then I auto-takeoff!
NEXX

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 03:06:03 PM »
Originally posted by AWLysol
Saitek has sent me some things to try,...

what did they send you? you a marketing reseacher/field tester for um or something?

been a x36 - x45 loyalist for bout 6 years now
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 03:16:16 PM »
Originally posted by Replicant
I find it often puts you in the wrong trim for your next move, then slowly tries and catches up.

Prolly my biggest beef with combat trim. It just doesn't react fast enough when changing speeds. Seems like anyway.

Times like this I'll turn it off and do it myself. But I'm lucky to have a nice stick rig with buttons to spare.

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group