Author Topic: Seperation of Church and State?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Seperation of Church and State?
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2003, 08:09:57 AM »
eskimo... I think we agree... I think the more you teach at a private  school the more we will agree.   The public schools are broken and they probly can't be fixed short of a revolution or hostile government takeover of our country.   Certainly... throwing more money at the system is the worst thing we can do... it simply lets the unions and buerocrats mandate more worthless and counterproductive things for teachers to do.

No.. vouchers are the only way to get out of the quagmire that is the public school system...  The foundation for a good life if both family and education... they are parellel... fixing education will fix the parenting in one generation... maybe this one and the previous are lost due to our pblic school mistake.. but.. we can fix it with a decent education... that means vouchers... it means getting the govenment out of our education system in anything more than a police/standard setting role.  

when the government finally destroys the voucher system them we will discard it and try whatever non government alternative is available at  that time.
lazs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2003, 09:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
A Chaplain represents his religion and happens to be in the Armed Forces.  

I have to differ on this. A chaplains role/job in the military is to meet the spiritual needs of the troops by representing his/her religion. I know you knew this but you almost make it sound coincidental.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2003, 10:43:07 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
I have to differ on this. A chaplains role/job in the military is to meet the spiritual needs of the troops by representing his/her religion. I know you knew this but you almost make it sound coincidental.

Chaplains are there to promote the concept that "God is on our side!"

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2003, 03:53:19 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
I don't have to. It's already established that the slogan "In God We Trust" does not endorse or promote any single religion. Hence it's appearance on currency does not represent the establishment of a state religion. The case has no basis. It's a waste of time and taxpayer money. And, apparently, none of that matters to the person or persons involved in bringing the case to court.

*sigh* As I've stated many times before, the government is not supposed to endorse religion period. God implies endorsement of religion. Not any single religion, but religion nonethless and that should not be happening at all. The case has plenty of basis in the line I just stated, and have been stating, you simply choose to ignore it because it doesn't support your idealogy of placing religious symbols throughout the nation.

The school system violated that TA's rights as stated in the first amendment of the portion of the Constitution known as the Bill of Rights. Their rule is unconstitutional hence illegal. If she attempted to lead the class in prayer that's something else.

Stated this before too. If the school has a dress code, then it has a dress code and if it clearly says no religious affiliated jewelry or religious affiliated items then that's that. She has the right to excercise her religion. No where in the Christian religion does it state you must express your faith through gold plated cross necklaces or through wearing crosses. There was no infringement on her faith in anyway, the only thing that happened was she was told she could not show her jewelry. That's not excercising your Christian religion in any way, shape or form- no matter how much you try to bend it. I may not about Muslims, Jehovah's witnesses or 7th day whatevers... I do know Christianity though, and I know excercising your faith does not involve wearing fancy cross jewelry, having a christ tattoo or slapping a bumper sticker on your car "Jesus Saves".

Going after one sets precident for going after them all, voluntary or involuntary practices being of no real concern. Even Atheism can be classified as a religious belief but since it has no actual symbology or practices (to my knowledge) then it can survive the actions taken on other religions. And if the end result is squelching everything except Atheism ... then guess what (you're bound to see it coming) .... that's the state endorsing one single religious belief - Atheism.

Guess what? That whole paragraph is completely false. In order to be religious you need to believe in something. Atheists don't believe in anything, therefore the absence of belief negates it being labelled a religion in any sensible fashion.

But I'm no atheist, be sure of that. I'm not religious either, wrap your noggin around that one.
-SW
« Last Edit: April 29, 2003, 03:56:36 PM by AKS\/\/ulfe »

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2003, 04:21:09 PM »

But I'm no atheist, be sure of that. I'm not religious either, wrap your noggin around that one.
-SW [/B]

As for me, I'm an agnostic, dyslexic, insomniac. I lie awake all night wondering if their's a Dog.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2003, 04:23:49 PM »
Originally posted by Arfann
Chaplains are there to promote the concept that "God is on our side!"

No more than any other minister. Suspect you meant this sarcastically. If so then your a real dip sh*t. If not, my apologies.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2003, 07:09:44 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
No more than any other minister. Suspect you meant this sarcastically. If so then your a real dip sh*t. If not, my apologies.

Thank you for your response. I'll consider your well thought out point of view and meditate on it for a week or two.