Author Topic: Unarmed African immigrant killed by police  (Read 542 times)

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Unarmed African immigrant killed by police
« on: May 24, 2003, 08:51:45 AM »
Hey NY guys, whats the feeling there about this? Have there been protests in the streets yet?

Friday, May 23, 2003 Posted: 9:51 PM EDT (0151 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- An unarmed African immigrant visiting his rented storage room was shot and killed by a plainclothes police officer who was guarding counterfeit merchandise down the hall, police said Friday.

Ousmane Zango was shot four times after a chase through the hallway of a Chelsea storage facility where he repaired sculptures and drums imported from Africa, police and acquaintances said.

Police officers had just raided two rooms there while investigating a compact disc counterfeiting operation, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Zango was visiting his cramped, improvised studio around 4 p.m. Thursday afternoon, while down the hall, an officer was guarding the seized CDs. Zango had no connection to the counterfeiting operation and no criminal record.

Kelly said it was unclear why the officer began to chase Zango. According to supervisors, the officer said Zango tried to take his gun and described pushing and shoving between them, Kelly said. The department's internal affairs bureau is investigating.

The shooting brought back memories of the death of African immigrant Amadou Diallo, who was shot and killed by four white officers who said they mistook his wallet for a weapon.

The officers were cleared of murder and other charges in a state criminal trial in 2000, and the case inflamed racial tensions in New York.

Zango, 43, was from the West African nation of Burkina Faso and regularly sent money home to his family, including two daughters, acquaintances said. Zango was 35, they said, and offered different spellings of his name than provided by the police.

Civil rights activist and Democratic presidential candidate Al Sharpton decried the shooting.

"Something does not smell right about this and something clearly must be dealt with," he said. "It seems that we are beginning to see a pattern of police misconduct again reminiscent of some of the days we thought we put behind us."

The shooting also comes a week after police mistakenly raided the apartment of a 57-year-old Harlem woman who went into cardiac arrest and died after officers detonated a flash grenade and handcuffed her.

A police informant had wrongly identified Alberta Spruill's apartment as one used by a drug dealer to stash cocaine and heroin

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 09:43:36 AM »
typical. nothing like useing a gun to stop someone unarmed from running away. yet another reason to cut taxes

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 09:55:48 AM »
froggy... since you feel so guilty about how you got your money then I would suggest that when you get your tax form you check the box where you can contribute additional funds and just give all of the money your daddy gave you back to the poor and needy... that should help you with your guilt issues.

and... police are paid from the public workd general fund and are typicaly the highest (along with fire) paid non management positions in public works.   Just as it is a fact that the more you give schools the more they waste and the worse they do... there is some evidence that the highest paid police departments have the most problems.
lazs

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 10:03:29 AM »
actually, cops can use deadly force to stop someone fleeing, IF the cop feels that the person is going to commit felonious acts of murder and mayhem to the innocent. of course, the officer had BETTER be able to articulate his descision to fire.

we don't know the facts of this case yet.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 12:13:51 PM »
There isn't a lot of information in that story.  Certainly not enough for me to feel comfortable passing judgement one way or the other.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 12:30:08 PM »
It's too bad peoples' attitudes have changed so much towards our police officers. Growing up in the 50s-60s I can remember cops stopping at our playground to toss a football with us- we actually liked and trusted the police back when Ike was President. Now it's the cops who are the bad guys, and whenever something like this happens (we don't actually know what happened yet, but let's not keep that from us convicting the police officer in the court of public opinion) we assume the worst.

Personally I don't know why anyone would want to get in police work nowadays. It used to be a career where there was respect, and now you have jerks fighting twenty five dollar parking tickets while screaming about "police abuse." I guess law enforcement still draws people who actually believe in right from wrong and actually believe they might be able to make a small difference in society... It's too bad we burn them out with our public attitude.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2003, 02:36:34 PM »
Please airhead, the police force in the midwest at least is made up with 99% dipsh*ts who would actually take a 28K a year job because-

a. The failed at most everything else
b. They were the loser types that were laughed at in high school, and could wear a cool badge and finally get back at society which gave them  'swirlys' in the gym sh*tter in P.E.

After saving the world from terrorism by issuing $25 parking tickets, they retire, take on a Tom Cruise movie fighter pilot name to continue thier fantasy image, and 'wow' us in a flightsim bbs with stories of looking intimidating in knee high leather boots, and a helmet. lol

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2003, 03:26:41 PM »
Right on Airhead!!!  I agree.

One of my boyhood friends who I played cops and robbers with, actually became a cop.  At first he said, I'm sure jokingly, he wanted to be a cop so he could shoot people...and specifically requested duty in black town.

Well anyway, he has served for over 25 years, and has been a good influence for them.  Never shot anyone, and they respect him.  The feeling is mutual for him too.  He is one of the good cops, and is a credit to the Police.  He has honor.  He's seen some worldly things in his career.  But as far as shooting someone...that notion probably went out the window during his training.

The situation is most likely different in large Northern cities.  But here in Mobile, Alabama everyone pretty much gets along.

As an example, I offer this.  One night ( in 1982) I was drinking at the local disco club and was over the limit as far as drinking and driving goes.  I pulled out of the parking lot burning rubber in my 1964 Super 88 (394 ultra high compression rocket V8 for afficionados.)  A cop in a police car pulled out behind me and followed me most of the way home.  We had a drag race of sorts LOL, but he didn't pull me over.  I don't think he wanted to...he didn't hit the lights.  Can you imagine that?  Would have been a DUI for sure.   I passed him going 80 mph on a residential street. It's a strange world.  

Les

PS- Don't try this today folks.  The good 'ol days are gone forever.  And we have speed bumps now on most streets.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2003, 04:40:20 PM »
Would have been a DUI for sure. I passed him going 80 mph on a residential street. It's a strange world.

PS- Don't try this today folks. The good 'ol days are gone forever.

The kid of a friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver who blasted down a residential street at speed.  There's one eight year old who'll never have the opportunity to pine for "the goold 'ol days".
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2003, 05:15:02 PM »
Sorry to hear that Chairboy.

I don't drink and drive any more.  I have not had a DUI, and I am lucky to have gone as far as I have without being in serious trouble.  I gave it up several years ago; not drinking, but drinking and driving.  When I drive somewhere, I don't drink, not even a drop.  

I don't go to bars, and I don't party on wheels.

Les

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2003, 05:36:53 PM »
Sad to hear. :(
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2003, 06:03:40 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
The kid of a friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver who blasted down a residential street at speed.  There's one eight year old who'll never have the opportunity to pine for "the goold 'ol days".

It was 4 AM when I drag raced the cop.

Les

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2003, 03:46:53 AM »
Natural selection at work.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2003, 10:27:30 AM »
Hmm... here the cops make about 70K a year with overtime and retire at 50 with about 90% of their salary with cost of living raises for the rest of their life.
lazs