Author Topic: Help revoke Bowling for Columbine's Oscar  (Read 5878 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Help revoke Bowling for Columbine's Oscar
« Reply #255 on: May 05, 2003, 02:46:52 PM »
agreed....

And making a one sided Documentary is hardly criminal. :D

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #256 on: May 05, 2003, 03:37:44 PM »
And he's not being punished for making the film.  Just for calling it a documentary. :D

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #257 on: May 05, 2003, 03:55:45 PM »
Thinking on MT's Disney documentary comparisons....

Did Disney ever have the mouse kung-fu the rattler in mid-strike and then end up having roast rattler with Mrs. Mouse and the kids in the movie?

That might be a more direct comparison to what Moore did.

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #258 on: May 05, 2003, 04:00:28 PM »

It could happen. :cool:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #259 on: May 05, 2003, 04:09:20 PM »
But did it happen?

And did they get an Oscar for "documentary" with that particular one?

I'm thinking... no, no Oscar.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #260 on: May 05, 2003, 04:14:52 PM »
Jokes aside Toad,

"The Living Desert" did win the Oscar in the '50's and I would be willing to bet the ranch and the rent money that many if not most of the "natural occurances" depicted in that movie were either staged, scripted (by editing), or never happened as described.

So how exacly is that different than Moores Documentary?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #261 on: May 05, 2003, 04:57:34 PM »
The difference is that while some of it may have been staged, it still represented factual occurances.

The mouse did not eat the rattlesnake. The snake always ate the mouse.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #262 on: May 05, 2003, 05:07:12 PM »
And what was not "factual" in the same sense as a staged mouse feast?

"From my cold dead hands" - is often quoted as a departure from the facts. Heston said it, but Moore leads us to believe it is said in Denver. Factual, yet not. Kinda like the mouse feast.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #263 on: May 05, 2003, 07:44:57 PM »
Factual?

I refer you to the long page of things that were not "factual" in the movie that has been posted in another thread and is available on the net.

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2003, 07:55:51 AM »
Apparently the movie isn't even about bowling.  Have you guys ever seen The Big Lebowski?  Now there's a great bowling movie.

bowser

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2003, 03:18:16 PM »
Living Desert - We see something that actually happened, yet are misled as to when and where.

BFC - We see something that actually happened, yet are misled as to when and where.

well?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2003, 03:55:45 PM »
http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

Read that again and get back to me. Moore portrays a lot of stuff that never actually happened.

The mouse never gets to kill the rattler in a Disney Documentary. The mouse would exterminate all rattlers within 100 miles in a Moore flick. Not sure if he'd have the mouse kung-fu the rattler though.. maybe just beat it in a fair fight of fang vs. tooth and claw.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2003, 08:10:50 AM »
I'm trying to move house this summer. Looked at one yesterday, but too small. But I noticed in one of the bedrooms a paperback copy of one of Michael Moore's books - Stupid White Men I think it was - lying on the bedside table. Started me wondering - how is the campaign going to revoke the Moore Oscar?

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2003, 11:38:11 AM »
Gun nuts have a very short attention span.   They've moved on.

bowser