Author Topic: "the eight most important hours of my life."  (Read 481 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
"the eight most important hours of my life."
« on: May 13, 2003, 12:16:17 PM »
Is what Steven Spielberg apparently said of the time he spent meeting with Fidel Castro...

Does that ever make think about Schindler's List in a different way now - how can a man who made such an emotinally powerful and touching move about one evil dictators holocaust be praising another brutal murderous dictator in such a way.... I just dont get it, does he not see the hypocrisy?

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 12:24:18 PM »
How about including the quote, the source it derives from....and the complete interview so that we know it wasn't a misquote, or taken out of context.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 12:24:31 PM »
Castro has made a career of defying America.  That makes him a hero to the left world wide.

ra

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 01:03:23 PM »

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 01:51:26 PM »
After we conquered cuba from the spanish we kept a little piece to call our own(guantanamo bay), then we put in a puppet government and used it as a place to vacation and gamble. The locals were treated as trash and prostitution was rampant.

Castro stood up to this and revolted. So of course to the people of cuba he is going to be a hero. To them he saved their country.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 02:08:42 PM »
Heard rumours that Moore and Spielberg will be colaborating together on a new movie project called the "The Angry Nouveau-American" i betcha it's a black comedy.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 02:11:08 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
These are of course all lies. :D

http://reason.com/cy/cy042303.shtml

http://www.123cuba.com/Haiti-Cuba.html

hahem ... from your 1st link :

Correction: I wrote that filmmaker Steven Spielberg describes his meeting with Fidel Castro on his trip to Cuba last November as "the most important eight hours of my life." I have been informed that the quote, which appeared in Damien Cave's article in The Washington Monthly, is a fake that originated in the Cuban press.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 02:30:59 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
After we conquered cuba from the spanish we kept a little piece to call our own(guantanamo bay), then we put in a puppet government and used it as a place to vacation and gamble. The locals were treated as trash and prostitution was rampant.

Castro stood up to this and revolted. So of course to the people of cuba he is going to be a hero. To them he saved their country.

They are better now than they were back then.

Not that they are doing very well now, though...

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 02:55:53 PM »
the US did not "keep" guantanamo bay, the US pays cuba yearly rent for the base. guantanamo bay still belongs to cuba.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 03:27:29 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
the US did not "keep" guantanamo bay, the US pays cuba yearly rent for the base. guantanamo bay still belongs to cuba.

Call it what you want, they can't take it away or kick us out.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower issued the following statement when the formal break of U.S.-Cuban relations took effect on January 4, 1961:

"The termination of our diplomatic and consular relations with Cuba has no effect on the status of our Naval Station at Guantanamo. The treaty rights under which we maintain the Naval Station may not be abrogated without the consent of the United States." In other words, try to take it and we will crush you.

We give them a few beads and tell them to shut up
:)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 03:29:30 PM by Sixpence »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)