Author Topic: The Concord  (Read 4104 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
The Concord
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2003, 02:34:45 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
LOL!!!

Buran didn't have ceramic tiles!

You are beautifull! Grunherz must be jealous :D

Buran was made according to one purpose, the same a "shuttle" - to be capable of returning sattelites from orbit. The concept proved to be pretty ineffective. Now we still have manned space flight. And what about US?... :(

About Myasishchev's bombers - i beg your pardon and ask you to kindly forgive me little exaggeraton :( But they could compete with US bombers, and the fate of M-4 is very much like B-58. It's hard to judge, we are lucky both planes were never tested in combat.

The US still has manned space program, with a much better safety and success record than Russia I must add. Just taking some time to figure what went wrong with the last shuttle flight and how to avoid it.  

The shuttle has a pretty good safety record compared to other air/space craft. As of 2000 over 350 million miles flown with only one loss. Now, it's two lost, don't know the mileage but it's still a damn good record.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
The Concord
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2003, 02:57:45 PM »
LOL!!!

About Myasishchev's bombers - i beg your pardon and ask you to kindly forgive me little exaggeraton :( But they could compete with US bombers, and the fate of M-4 is very much like B-58. It's hard to judge, we are lucky both planes were never tested in combat.

If you're not just a flat-out liar, then you are just ignorant. The Buran did have ceramic tiles, as well as other carbon ones and the whole concept and design was a copy of the shuttle.

And in what way was the M-4 anything like the b-58?

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
The Concord
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2003, 02:58:15 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Yes they are rather manuverable due to FBW system. Was it the four engined 124 or the six engined 225? (both are bigger than the C-5)

I'm pretty sure it was the 6 engine 225 because the show announcer called it the world's largest cargo plane.

Ack-Ack

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
The Concord
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2003, 03:19:07 PM »
The Mig21 is not particularly manuverable either - where on earth did you get that idea? And as for being cheap, well all the soviet crap was and still is cheap compared to western planes.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
The Concord
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2003, 03:28:14 PM »
LOL!!!

Are you so sure about that?  I mean, really, really, really sure?  100% positive on that?

According to the Molniya Research and Industrial Corp. web site, the Buran used three different kinds of thermal protection.

1. Carbon-Carbon
2. Ceramic Tiles
3. Flexible Material

It used 40,000 ceramic tiles, each one of them unique.

And if you're still thinking that the Soviets came up with this as some original idea, here's something to look at.

While there are some differences between both shuttles, it's obvious that the Buran's design was based upon the US shuttle, which should be pretty obvious since the Soviets have admitted to 'borrowing' the blueprints of the US shuttle.  But you are technically correct that it isn't a copy since the Soviets had made improvements to the US design and incorperated these improvements in their own shuttle.

Ack-Ack

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
The Concord
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2003, 03:33:37 PM »
I fail to see the similarity... :)

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
The Concord
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2003, 03:40:31 PM »
KM (Caspian Sea Monster)
Built in 1965, by JSC R.E. Alexeiev Central Hydrofoil Design Bureau, USSR.
Maiden flight was on 18 October 1966.
TO Weight 540 Tons (1,080,000 lbs/489,780 kg)
Cruise speed 300 mph @ 10ft AGL

Pretty much still ahead of its time.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
The Concord
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2003, 03:47:13 PM »
Yep....Both are white.

:D

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Concord
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2003, 03:53:26 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
You claimed that the m-3 and m-4 were "decades" ahead of their time. You make some remarkabley ignorant claims, but saying that the Buran was not a shuttle copy tops them I think.

Decade is certainly exaggerated but it was clearly an very advanced design.

@AWMac : I hate you ... I was about to write this ;)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
The Concord
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2003, 05:37:21 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ

So I think there also goes the idea that russians know mathematics better than americans....
:rolleyes:

Yeah, the Russians know thier math... the theory of radar reflectivity that was used for stealth was invented by a Soviet who now works for Northrop / Grumman.

The Russians thought his ideas worthless.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
The Concord
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2003, 05:42:38 PM »
I have a book written by Isaac Asimov called the "Biographical Encyclopedia of Science". It lists the 1500 most influential scientists in history in chronological order. (Great book)

I think there is only ONE Russian in the first 1000 (Mendelev). Most great "Russian" scientists prior to the 20th century were actually Germans imported by the Russian royals.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
The Concord
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2003, 07:46:08 PM »
this is funny...

here is Nuke saying how wonderful the American SST would have been from specs on papers

and

here is Boroda saying how wonder the Russian Space Shuttle would have been from specs on papers

both had prototypes made, evaluations taking place for improvements.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
The Concord
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2003, 07:53:05 PM »
Originally posted by FDutchmn
this is funny...

here is Nuke saying how wonderful the American SST would have been from specs on papers

and

here is Boroda saying how wonder the Russian Space Shuttle would have been from specs on papers

both had prototypes made, evaluations taking place for improvements.

I never said such a thing.

All I ever said about the American SST is that we could have built one in the 60's . I also said that America is and was capable of building one.

I never said how wonderful one would be, nor did I ever site one spec about it.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
The Concord
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2003, 08:01:11 PM »

The Russian design is obvioulsy a completely different approach and the two are in no way similar.

The Russian design demonstrates progressive  enginering and a certain boldness in it's extremely radical concept.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
The Concord
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2003, 09:54:20 PM »
Nothing up my sleeve. Call it when she stops.

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.