Author Topic: Field ack question for Pyro/HT  (Read 129 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Field ack question for Pyro/HT
« on: November 23, 2001, 08:03:00 PM »
I (and quite a few others) have come to the conclusion that the faster you fly near field ack (the tracer kind),the more likely you are to be hit by it.  My question is.. is this intentional?  It would make a lot of sense from a gameplay point of view if it were intentional.  It makes field harder to take down (well, makes it harder to vulch anyway), because you have to take the ack down before you can keep enemy planes from taking off.  If it were possible to fly through at 400 mph and kill the ack, you would be invulnerable and the field would quickly be vulched.  Instead, you must fly slow to kill the ack, and risk getting shot down by an enemy fighter.  That way the defenders have at least a fighting chance of getting off the ground and mounting a defense in the event of a "surprise" attack.

Just curious if my reasoning is true here, I don't expect you guys to give up any sort of secrets or whatever.

Offline discod

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.millionaire.com
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2001, 09:52:00 PM »
My scientific tests have shown similar results.  However the theory seems a bit strange since I currently can de-ack an etire base in a spit V in less than a minute with enemy on my six.  So it wouldn't make sense to make the ack more accurate on fast planes jsut to prevent a quick de-acking because then slow turn-planes can do a quick de-ack.  Just doens't make sense to program it that way but it sure does feel like it when you come in at 400+ mph!!!

Also, has anyone noticed that the Ack guns in the town are TRAINED MARKSMEN????  GEEE WHIZ!!!!  I'd rather de-ack 12 field ack than take on the 3 town ack!  What's the deal?  Does the sniper squad reside in the town or what?  Based on my highly scientific statistics I have a 8 in 10 chance of getting shot down by town ack and only a 2 in 10 chance of getting shot down by field ack.

Anyone else have similar results or do my planes have a "Shoot me townies" sign taped on the tail?

Offline Aiswulf

• Copper Member
      • http://mdiplo.tripod.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2001, 10:14:00 PM »
I thinks its just the sign on your tail Discod  :)

Personally I find it mucho easier to de-ack when its all busy shooting at someone else.
Then I can hit it just as fast or slow as I like  :D

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2001, 11:39:00 PM »
Don't know - my Butt says "ack hit here"  :D
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2001, 11:54:00 PM »
Yep. not to mention ack shooting through the mountains and psychicly predicting the exact point where a jinking 400mph+ plane will be the very second its vector changes.

I would say the acks should have a reload (like WW2OL a-a MG's..those rule!), and fire at random while leading the plane.

And heck, I can deack and entire field and town now with a P-38... staying at 200mph with 1 flaps and turning merrily on the outskirts of the field spraying the acks.  Try that with a 420 mph pass jinking and shooting at long range only and then turning and changing alt to egress... and you WILL die.

Funny eh?