Author Topic: HTC.. New defaults for the SEA arena?  (Read 644 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
HTC.. New defaults for the SEA arena?
« on: August 02, 2000, 11:30:00 AM »
Why not establish a default setup on the SEA that makes it possible to establish a Allied vs Axis arena with the existing resources??

Heluva nice facility just sittin there doin nothin for 160 hours outta every 168 hour week.

See the 'allied vs axis arena' thread.

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2000, 11:58:00 AM »
See my reply in the 3 questions thread.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2000, 01:41:00 PM »
Brzzzzzrrt.. not the same question!

Here's that other threads question and your answer:

>2)Is a HA under consideration?

Not on a full time basis. Additional arenas with the idea of full time participation are not viable with the current size of our player base. We have about 2 dozen CMs now with Vermillion chairing that group. They are currently in the process of getting organized and planning out a number of weekly events as well as scenarios. This is where these types of setups will be held.

As the SEA is just sittin there doin nothin for all but about 6 hours a week; why not estabilish a default setting for the SEA conducive to Allied vs Axis operations? That way when the CM's exit that arena after hosting a scenario or special event it's all ready to go.. no fuss; no muss.

Essentialy No risk psuedo HA trial arena.. we won't break the server.  

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2000, 01:51:00 PM »
Hmm...  I *think* what Pyro is saying is not that there aren't enough players to have two arenas... but that with the player base the size it is, no encouragement should be made to split the existing base up into two arenas.

Erhm... that sounds wierd... lemme try this..

A small 20v20 in the SEA on a nightly basis would mean 40 less players in the MA. Perhaps there isn't the density in the MA right now to lose 40 players.

I love yer idea Hang... I totally wish we could do it. But I can also see Pyro's point. We gotsta get more bodies into AH.

And that's if I understood what Pyro is basically saying.. If not, well.. nevermind  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2000, 02:00:00 PM »
Nash-

That is essentially the way I understand it.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2000, 02:18:00 PM »
Right now the emphasis should be on having special events.  

I am confident that *special events* will really start to take off in AH.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2000, 02:21:00 PM »
I like the idea too, but like said, the numbers probably don't make it viable, and can you imagine what a pain in the prettythang it would be for the CMs to clear the arena come scenario time?  Even if they have the power to kick everyone out, I can just see the text buffer being filled with "WTF happened, I don't pay $30/mo for this", and "blah blah blah".  I do look forward to a historical arena someday tho'.

I always thought of it as being an arena where you could have the super-duper realism mode with all the difficulty bells and whistles that people want, like no ammo counters, nasty sun glare, reduced/no icons, etc.  The main arena would be a place for people who didn't want the added difficulty, and for newbies to start in without the learning curve being harder than it already is!  Until then, the scenarios seem plenty fun to me  

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2000, 05:42:00 PM »

Originally posted by Nash:
Hmm...  I *think* what Pyro is saying is not that there aren't enough players to have two arenas... but that with the player base the size it is, no encouragement should be made to split the existing base up into two arenas.

Hi Nash....

I agree, I think that's what he's saying as well, but I also disagree with his basic business premise.

It's flat rate, so who cares whether someone flies or not.

I haven't flown AH in over two weeks, albeit I have logged into the MA, looked around and left due to the same old fantasy MA environment, which forces me to fly and fight against planes of the same type I'm flying. I also have a short patience threshold (call me old and crotchety) for being mixed in with a whole bunch of new guys continually typing "what's this game all about".  For me, it completely blows any kind of immersion into AH as a WWII air combat simulation.  As a result of this, plus some other issues we've seen lately on-line on the BBS, I have given serious consideration to canceling my account on AH until (or if ever) someone in HTC realizes that multiple diverse arenas build a customer base, not necessarily restrict its growth.  Scenarios or CM run events where I have to be someplace at a certain time and date, just don't fit well into the nature of my day job.  I need the flexibility of being able to log into an arena on demand.

So, to get my virtual flight sim fix, I've actually been spending $2/hr flying the new WWII allies versus axis arena in WB, which is more of what I personally prefer as an environment setting.  I've been having a great deal of fun and hope that they continue with the experiment as their numbers jumped dramatically when it came on-line.

A caveat......just because my personal needs are not being met with the current arena structure it doesn't invalidate HTC's marketing approach, except if over time they lose enough virtual pilots like me who decide that the generalized MA isn't their preference.  If time drags on and they don't offer an arena as described, I do believe they will start to see a drain of members who want in essence what hangtime is asking for.  I think his request is reasonable and if there was an arena here and now on AH, with settings geared to the WWII realism (allies versus axis), I wouldn't be typing this message contemplating resignation, but be flying AH instead of WB.  Yes, the numbers probably would be smaller in both arenas, but overall I would bet the total subscription base would be higher.  In business terms 2+2 could equal 5 with two arenas geared to different player skills and demographics.  IMHO, I feel it's a shame that such a fine WWII based simulator with great plane/environment graphics, FM and gunnery modeling, plus a terrain editor coming on-line shortly, is wasted by only offering a single arena free-for-all approach.  Even Quake and Unreal Tournament RPG on-line venues offer different environments for different tastes.  Finally, it isn't that difficult to set up an arena that's already there and empty much of the time to fit this WWII profile.

Regards,
Badger

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?
 http://www.egroups.com/group/flightsimsonline

[This message has been edited by Badger (edited 08-02-2000).]

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2000, 06:17:00 PM »
I see why there may be some hesitation from HTC, but how about 1 day a week! Call it something like, Firday Night Fantastic Historical Fun! (FNFHF) okay maybe not that  

I find it difficult to attend the Events on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and like Badger, I get pretty bored in the MA.  

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2000, 06:36:00 PM »
Ayup Badger...  Good point.

I guess it's a double edged sword for them though. If you split the player base into two groups,  you get other people saying "I log on, have to fly a half hour to find somebody to fight....so screw it".

And yeah, currently I suppose they have to deal with people losing interest because of the done to death nature of the MA.

It's my opinion though that you can mess with different arena variants as much as you like, but never EVER mess with critical mass. If you do it's a pain to build that back up again. Slippery slope. So different arenas are a luxury you get if your player base can afford you that. If that isn't there, you get not one but two+ failed arenas.

I'm confident HTC would build new arenas if they felt they could. No Arena Conspiracy here <g>. But I don't think they have a choice right now. Hopefully they can channel some of their new influx of cash into marketing. Great sim... just need more people. With that will come viable alternatives to the MA.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2000, 06:41:00 PM »

Originally posted by Camel:
I see why there may be some hesitation from HTC, but how about 1 day a week! Call it something like, Firday Night Fantastic Historical Fun! (FNFHF) okay maybe not that  

I find it difficult to attend the Events on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and like Badger, I get pretty bored in the MA.  

Actually, the name hasn't been decided yet, but the concept is already slated to happen soon. Check the calendar  http://www.hpcisp.com/~kieren/calendar/calendar.htm  and bookmark it, because you will have Snapshots, multi-frame scenarios, Tour of Duty, and whatever-it-is-we-call-the-weeknight-thing to choose from.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2000, 06:48:00 PM »
I'm all for it, just not on a 24/7 basis.  Once upon a time, I presided over a similar situation.  I knew we didn't have the audience to keep the arena filled and that it would turn into a ghost town if it were always left open and once it turned into a ghost town, it would be even harder to get people to fly there.  So I set it up where it was open two or three times a week during specified times.  Because it ran at specified times, attendance was great and everybody had a lot of fun.  But then it became the story of the goose and golden egg.  Since some was good, it was surmised by some that more would be better.  But not just a little more, the whole enchilada.  I knew this would pretty much kill it and stated why that would be bad.  Eventually the whining grew that I was just trying to keep that format down until one day(I must have been in a bad mood), I made a bad decision for both the players and the business and caved into the whining.  It's not like I enjoyed being tied to having to manually operate that arena all the time.  

So the arena went 24/7.  The people were liberated at last.  They now had freedom of choice.  Or did they?  While that arena used to enjoy large numbers of participants when it was open only during specific times, it now sat empty and proved a big task to try and get people to fly there.  People would head to the main arena and do their utmost to recruit people to fly there, but with results far less than what it originally had.  

Why was this?  Because people play these games to play with and against other people.  It's the overriding factor in where they go.  Until such time that there are enough people logged in that you can choose from multiple arenas that are each loaded with people, the only practical choice is to go where everybody else is.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2000, 06:56:00 PM »
Thanks Kieren!

Just what I was looking for!

I am very grateful for the CM teams efforts, and will attend these events, Salute!

Offline Ram1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2000, 06:57:00 PM »
With Flat rate there should be an Axis vs Allied arena, it doesn't cost anything to set up one. What difference does it make if the arena is populated by 20, 50 or 100?

I think its shortsighted to think the numbers can't support 2 arenas, instead I would be thinking about how an Axis/Allied arena could draw new pilots into the Sim.

The success of this arena in Warbirds should of opened some eyes, its what many historical oriented virtual pilots have been looking for. Its not perfect, but its much better then the free for all type arenas.

However, if Scenarios and events that feature Axis vs Allied are added revenue generators for AH then I can understand why it would not be set up as a standard arena.

You don't need CMs to monitor such an arena, the only issue I see is the limited plane set, but even with what there is you could make a nice late war set-up.

Ram1

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2000, 07:02:00 PM »
OK, so tell me.  What's to keep you from going in there right now and flying axis and allies or any other setup you want?

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations