Author Topic: Joy stick woes  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2003, 11:28:58 PM »
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
Thanks for the advice all - am up and running.

Quite frankly, it's not such crap after all is it?

;)

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2003, 05:11:57 AM »
Actually it is - no sysops and another player offered a solution not any staffers.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Joy stick woes
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2003, 09:16:53 AM »
Zone Sys-ops are just players being made official helpers, no? who cares if you had to get help from other players, just show that it's a friendly *cough* community that doesn't have to be paid to be helpful.

Official staff are normally good on helping, but this forum is for "Advice and help on getting better at Aces High.", and since there are lots of players that are better virtual pilots than the HTC-staff, they just leave it to the player-base to answer in here.
If you ever get any technical or especially connection problems, post in those forum and usually Skuzzy will be there to help you.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2003, 11:37:36 AM »
Eagler, I am running Win98 OS.  I created a new profile without the mouse curser and mouse buttons and then I was able to launch the profile followed by AH.  The result however was the same I think.  I have been able to use the rotary switches as throttle for engines 1 and 2 (pretty cool in a P38), but I would like to use them for zoom in and out or Trim.  Do you use the Stick mapping, and joystick selection features in AH setup menu to program functions after you start Aces High?  I have not seen any connection between the settings I put in the Profile editor and the functions available after I launch AH.  AH seems to ignore the profile.  :confused:

By the way, I can set up one rotary switch to zoom in, and one to zoom out, but I can't get one rotary switch to zoom in and out depending on the way you turn the rotor.  It is the same with trim.  It seems that you did get this to work, what am I missing?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2003, 11:55:26 AM »
have to check my win98 profile when i get home

which software are you using for it? a SST version?

in win98 the profile point to the AH exe and activates when AH starts

in WinXP I'm using a newer profile program which has to be told which profile to use before I start AH.

as for the rotor for zoom ( I use the hat on the upper left of stick for zoom - up is "Z" zoom, back is normal view, while in "Z" zoom right zooms in and left zooms out) - I'd think you'd have to active zoom with a button, then break the rotor into three bands - top band being "]" - bottom band being "[" and middle being no command
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2003, 01:31:50 PM »
I am using the Win98 drivers and Profile Software from Saitek's website.  Is SST a Saitek version?  I am sure I am using the latest regular drivers, are you suggesting that I request some special drivers?  I have heard that even Saitek has some alternate drivers that you can obtain by writing to the company.

I see how you split the bands in the Profile Editor, and I can do that, but AH doesn't seem to see the two 'ends' of the bands as separate buttons.  

What does the .PSI file do?  Is that used along with the .DAT file for anything?  Maybe I need to put it in a specific directory?  

Thanks for your help and patience.

Sorry everyone else, it seems I have hijacked this thread.  You will be returnd to your normal topic as soon as I gain full functionality of my joystick.  :p

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2003, 10:40:53 AM »
Actually it is - no sysops and another player offered a solution not any staffers.

HTC is a small, hard working group Schadenfreude...which keeps the overhead and cost down. No need for sysops...there's plenty of folks willing to lend a hand...as you've already seen first hand here.

DmdMax

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2003, 09:03:36 PM »
tracerx

Seems I'm using the SST from the Saitek website for WinXp while when i boot into win98 I'm using Saiteks older SGE software (from older X45 CD rom). I found the 2.3 and 3.0 versions of this older software here:
http://www.killerb.com/dambusters/index.jsp?page=dbfsrsrc
(bottom of page)
You may want to try that if you can't get the SST ver to work 100% in Win98

the PSI profile file is what you import into Saitek if you are using the SGE software

the DAT profile file is what you import into Saitek if you are using the SST stuff

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2003, 04:45:01 AM »
I see yr point regarding sysops - where I came from sysops where non paid volunteers - no overheads - it's just that they are recognisable if you need help.

Am enjoying dipping my toe in - started to get regular kills......and have learnt the imortance of good stick mapping!!

Are there any teasers out in terms of plane lists or screenshots for the new build - am missing the Yak3!!

Offline Zipper9

• Zinc Member
Padlock
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2003, 05:52:04 AM »
Shaden,

I am also considering moving over to AH from FA3.5, will check the new patch first. I did fly in here a short time before but decided to stay in FA beacuse of my squad m8s.

I did start using Padlock, as we do in FA, and it works very well if you know what you do. People in here does not normally use it and doesnt see the advantage but i have to say that for me it was the difference between live or die. I logged quite a few kills because it imporved my SA 50%. Saying that people in here are quite good. What i do not like is that there are no sides as we are used to in FA. I really like the counties in FA. Plane modeling is great in here but also miss the outside views.

AH2 seems to be interesting especially the ToD concept even if i do not 100% understand it yet.

Good luck

Cheers

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2003, 06:29:05 AM »
Are there any teasers out in terms of plane lists or screenshots for the new build - am missing the Yak3!!

You might check the BB section:
Aces High II: Tour of Duty

As for trainer sysops, give a look in the training arena for a squadmate, Ren. He was an AWAR trainer in Air Warrior Mac and AWIII ...and is a darned good stick. You might also run across Ghosth, who runs the show over there.

DmdMax

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2003, 08:48:17 AM »
Hiya Zip - am thinking of starting a squad - Lost Lambs of FA - nick
Mint_Sauce...hehe

Couple of guys said to me that the padlock isn't that great and it's easier to use your j/stick hat to flick around and follow close quarters - took a while but am managing it now.

The whole country thing is weirding me out a bit - I also preferred the historical countries and for some reason the historical room - Guadalcanal map - where I've spent most of my time is very under populated.

I also miss the external views - whats the point of good graphics and nice paint jobs if you can't see them - not that I think the cockpit view should change - I like the forward view not having an invisible cockpit - stops those silly 90 degree deflection shots.

All in all am impressed with AH - prefer it over WB3 which I was also trying - not enough numbers there - will be subbing when my two weeks trial is up.

I still have questions - how the hell do you get the mic to work?? or make tanks go forward?? and bombing?? er which button drops the things?

Fun to be a newb again and give some people the occaisonal surpise.

Schaden

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2003, 09:35:01 AM »
I still have questions - how the hell do you get the mic to work?? or make tanks go forward?? and bombing?? er which button drops the things?

Schaden

Mic--use "T" and F12(range) to activate mic.

Unlike the PT where you use the throttle, you need to push the j/stick forward to make a tank (or any other GV) go and shift thru the gears.

For bombing, "o" opens the doors and "b" drops 'em. To hit anything tho, you'll need to read this:

http://216.91.192.19/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57667&highlight=bombing

which goes into much detail about how to hit anything in a level bomber.

h
« Last Edit: May 22, 2003, 09:41:38 AM by Horn »

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Joy stick woes
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2003, 09:35:29 AM »
All in all am impressed with AH - prefer it over WB3 which I was also trying - not enough numbers there - will be subbing when my two weeks trial is up.

I am at work... so from memory.

You will have to key map the mic. For channel and range. Bring up your clipboard, then go to stickmapping. Channel will be for the "V" or voice channel. If you tune 120 then anyone on 120 should hear you. Range is for anyone within a certain distance that is friendly. Not sure how far that is to be honest.

Tanks go forward by: Starting the engine, "e" key. Then "Q" to shift up and "W" to shift down. :)

To bomb open your bomb bay doors "O" Oh key not the zero. Then it should be your number secondary button on your stick to drop the bombs.

Hope that helps. Hope you get a squad started or join one you come to enjoy. If you like historical stuff try the Squad Operations/TOD's on Friday or Sunday. Snapshots on Wednesday and Thursday, CAP events on Saturday. :D

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2003, 12:18:26 PM »
Hiya Zip - am thinking of starting a squad - Lost Lambs of FA - nick
Mint_Sauce...hehe

Couple of guys said to me that the padlock isn't that great and it's easier to use your j/stick hat to flick around and follow close quarters - took a while but am managing it now.

The whole country thing is weirding me out a bit - I also preferred the historical countries and for some reason the historical room - Guadalcanal map - where I've spent most of my time is very under populated.

I also miss the external views - whats the point of good graphics and nice paint jobs if you can't see them - not that I think the cockpit view should change - I like the forward view not having an invisible cockpit - stops those silly 90 degree deflection shots.

Schaden

Check back in the Combat Theater  (CT) room as it changes scenerios every Friday