Author Topic: AH and pop-ups  (Read 342 times)

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
AH and pop-ups
« on: May 13, 2003, 03:22:33 PM »
I have a problem with pop-ups when I'm playing AH. Most of the time it will kill my engine, but some times it knocks the game down to the task bar and the pop-up will appear on my screen.
     Needless to say, if I'm close to the ground or in a fight, I'm completely blind until I get rid of the pop-up window and click on AH to bring it up again.
     I have a couple of "pop-up" blockers, but they don't get everything. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

;)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AH and pop-ups
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 04:14:56 PM »
Shut down "Messenger" in Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
AH and pop-ups
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 04:46:21 PM »
Also.. make sure you don't have your web browser running..   If you have your web browser off and messager(s) off...  and still get web based adds popping up, run a spyware-locater like Adaware, spybot or pest-patrol... Many of the web-sites out there are now loading programs that just sit there.. monitor your web activity and pop-up adds based on your web-browsing... many evil programs like kazaa(most of your peer-to-peer trash)...  gator...  bonzie-buddy.....  weather-bug.. etc.. can install pop-up programs that the popup blockers will not catch...

mdbaker
XO - 106th Air Group
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
AH and pop-ups
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 12:17:21 PM »
I found save.exe running on my box the other day. No idea how it got there. Adaware (free version) works well for removing spyware, some of which invoke popups.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
AH and pop-ups
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 04:13:13 PM »
Try the Tudogs.com site for a freeware program called "SPYBOT". Kills the band-with-eating little bastards:D
There may be some other good programs for a similar purpose as well.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
AH and pop-ups
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 04:29:44 PM »
I think Ad Aware is considered the best/most thorough.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
AH and pop-ups
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 04:46:00 PM »
We just did a test between several and we are recomending to the campus here to use multiple...  Ad Aware, Spybot and Pest Patrol all did a good job, but some found things others didn't and spybot actually did a better job on getting your network fixed...  Granted we really messed up the test system with every known malware/spyware we could find...    The only reason Ad Aware and Pest Patrol edged out spybot in our testing is that those two have a pay feature to to realtime testing/blocking where spybot does not...  

mdbaker
XO - 106th Air Group
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC