Author Topic: Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg  (Read 3017 times)

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2003, 01:31:49 PM »
Hey Arlo,

Lighten up man.

Only real change from moving the front was that all the action is between A5 and Henderson now instead of A30 and A40.  I prefer A30 and A40 because it's a shorter flight.

But I really don't see how it gives the IJ forces any type of advantage, as a matter of fact, I think it makes it tougher for the Axis.

When it was A30 to A40, if we knocked the allies down it was easy to deack A40 whereas henderson is nearly impossible to deack so we can't sit there picking you off as you leave the runway.

I don't know anything about resetting the fleets so I won't comment on that.

In regard to removing the Corsair from the 42 slot which was supposed to feature the Wildcat vs. the A6M2, it was the right move.  Speed differential on those two planes makes it impossible for that zeke to do anything.  

CT is not about grabbing territory anyway.  I only bother with that crap when there's no one on to dogfite.  It's the restricted plane sets that make the CT tick and the change in geography does nothing to that aspect of the CT.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2003, 01:49:07 PM »
A rant has been recorded.     :p

Yeah, Arlo, I am a mean ole CT staffer.  I purposely pushed the US forces back just to hurt their cause.
Yeah, right........me, the consumate Jug fan, wanting to screw up things just so the side I wanted to fly for would have an uphill battle.

Only reason I was flying Japanese last night was because the numbers WERE so out of whack.  I'd much rather have been flying a P-47 and mixing it up, but because I wanted to try and help even the sides, I switched sides and flew for the Emperor's people.

You guys had more than enough numbers online last night to push the Japanese back.  But, like myself, it seemed last night most of the folks in the CT were interested in furrballing and just having fun.
If anything, the US has a sizable edge in fighter-bomber capability.  More than enough to push out of the "corner" you claim they have been put in.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2003, 02:15:54 PM »
Originally posted by Squire
For starters, the Ki-84 only saw service in the Pacific starting in 1945 (very late 44 in the CBI) before then

Where do you get this tripe?

Seriously.  Do you just spout stuff off the top of your head based on loose impressions of WWII history?

The Ki.84 entered service before the P-51D did and was in combat by April of 1944 (that is hardly late 1944).  Ki.84s were part of the Japanese order of battle in the Philipines.  The Ki.84 holds the distiction of having the highest one year production rate of any Japanese aircraft ever.  That year was 1944.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything.  It'll save you looking like a fool.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Jebo44

• Copper Member
      • http://www.vmf222.com
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2003, 02:19:00 PM »
Never mind it is pointless to offer an opinion in here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 02:32:56 PM by Jebo44 »

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2003, 03:34:39 PM »
Did I say it entered service after the P-51D? no. I didnt.

Ki-84 entered service in CHINA in the summer of 1944. The next campaign it fought was in LEYTE PHILLIPINES in the PACIFIC in October 1944, after that OKINAWA, then HOME DEFENSE of JAPAN.

It never fought in New Guinea or the Solomons, or the Central Pacific.

I was only comparing it to the earlier service the Ki-61 gave, and added some comparison, for convorsational purposes. Cripes.

Why the personal attack was required, well, I dont know, but I hope you feel better.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 03:41:51 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2003, 03:45:34 PM »
The 22nd Sentai flew the Ki84 in it's first combat service role in August of 1944 over China.

"If you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything. It'll save you looking like a fool."
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2003, 04:00:09 PM »
Here is the info that is being eluded to:

In March of 1944, the experimental squadron that was conducting the service test trials of the Ki-84 was disbanded, and its personnel transferred to the 22nd Sentai.

This unit was re-equipped with production Hayates and transferred to China where it entered combat against the USAAF's Fourteenth Air Force in August of 1944.

The Ki-84-Ia quickly established itself as a formidable foe that compared favorably with the best Allied fighters then available. The Hayate had an excellent performance and climb rate, and had none of the shortcomings of the earlier generation of Japanese fighters, being well armed and possessing adequate armor protection for the pilot. In addition to the penetration and interception roles, the aircraft was used as a fighter-bomber and dive bomber.

The 22nd Sentai was later moved to the Philippines, where it was joined by the 1st, 11th, 21st, 51st, 52nd, 55th, 200th, and 246th Sentais.

Toodles Junior.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2003, 05:15:52 PM »
Originally posted by brady
Do you realise that it is almost imposable to actualy take an airbase on this map? That in the whole weekend no bases were taken. That only a one bases front existed all weekend, and that the idea was to creat a two bases front which is better for everyone. The front could of been pushed up to 30 and 9 for the allies and prety much had the same effect, but by moving it south you have more bases to play for in the henderson area, and the US has the double bases at Henderson.

The main point is that the front is static since the airbases are to hard to take, so if the front cant move it doesent mater who get's pushed back as long as it makes for better fight's.

Oh bs. I mentioned I thought 30 was impossible to take then I was assured it wasn't and that all bases were equally hard or easy to take ... to which I responded fine by me, it wasn't that big a deal.

Don't hand me this "creating a two base front and improving the gameplay for all involved" bs. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you pushed the Allies into the corner to give them less airspace to climb out and fewer bases to up from - which gives the Axis a huge advantage. It's not like Allied players can climb out east or south and everyone's seen the IJ forces come in with alt and have a field day. At least when the map is divided equally both sides have an equal ability to climb or not to, should they choose not to. You've convinced eddiek that shoving the Allied side into the corner and reducing their options was actually a wise and prudent action when in reality it's a biased and stupid one. Hell, you act as if the Niki can't climb worth a crap (or the A6 for that matter).

If you really think moving the fight to 30-9 would have the same effect ... do it. Neh ... you won't (or you won't tell eddie to). We both know why but I'll be the only one to admit it. :)

I was more than willing to hold off any further critical feedback until the end of this rotation but sure enough ya'll pull yet another boneheaded stunt that caters to one side and screws the other.

Good job! Keep it up. Before long the CT will weed down to basically the Axis side only and you can run:

Pacific Tide: The unopposed invasion of the West Coast.

:D

(Making a CT setup "fun" means compromise between the sides .. not catering to the side you prefer and when there's no more squeakin' smiling and congratulating yourself on a job well done. ;))

Oh ... and just so I don't unfairly lump all of the Axis players into the above category - once again ... and kudos to the 27th Sent. - through all of this they've been a class act (as are apparently most of the players who are members of dedicated IJ squads). I'm sorry the one's with the keys to the arena couldn't leave well enough alone. There was much potential for both the USN and IJN dedicated squads to have a good time in their preferred setting.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 05:21:08 PM by Arlo »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2003, 05:32:49 PM »
Originally posted by eddiek
A rant has been recorded.     :p

Yeah, Arlo, I am a mean ole CT staffer.  I purposely pushed the US forces back just to hurt their cause.
Yeah, right........me, the consumate Jug fan, wanting to screw up things just so the side I wanted to fly for would have an uphill battle.

Only reason I was flying Japanese last night was because the numbers WERE so out of whack.  I'd much rather have been flying a P-47 and mixing it up, but because I wanted to try and help even the sides, I switched sides and flew for the Emperor's people.

You guys had more than enough numbers online last night to push the Japanese back.  But, like myself, it seemed last night most of the folks in the CT were interested in furrballing and just having fun.
If anything, the US has a sizable edge in fighter-bomber capability.  More than enough to push out of the "corner" you claim they have been put in.

Can't have it both ways, eddie. Here we got Brady talkin `bout how damned near impossible bases are to take and you talkin as if the Allies coulda just waltzed right up through Bougainville. Bad move, padnah. You shoulda stuck with the game plan like you said you were gonna. :rolleyes:

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2003, 06:44:10 PM »
Arlo,

Just a couple of points.   27th Sentai was disbanded late last year, after I ran out of steam when yet another release came out sans Ki.84.    Keyapaha took a few of the core pilots and started the 13th Sentai - I'm sure that's who you're thinking of.    I came back in March and started to fly with them.

Last night was our squad night and at one point we were overwhelmed with P-47s who came in at 20-25K, so it is possible
to grab plenty of alt before engaging.    No fights up there anyway - our planes are so useless up there we just don't go there.   But I understand wanting the alt advantage, and it is still possible to achieve.

This has been a good setup, and its been the flyers who've made it.   The Allies come over to our bases looking for fights and not afraid to mix it up for the most part.   I'm used to seeing the front end of a Corsair bearing down on me, but its been a real pleasure to watch the 47s and 38s do their stuff.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2003, 06:48:59 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Arlo,

27th Sentai was disbanded late last year, after I ran out of steam when yet another release came out sans Ki.84.    Keyapaha took a few of the core pilots and started the 13th Sentai - I'm sure that's who you're thinking of.    I came back in March and started to fly with them.

Whoops ... i knew that. I remember talking one night with Slash about the 13th's origins which involved both the 27th sent. and VF-27 and that musta stuck in me head.

Apologies.

13th Sentai! (Get it right, Ensign Arlo) :D

And sure ... it's possible. But that's not the point. The point is the change was obviously designed to draw the fight down and make it more difficult for Allied pilots to climb. Alas, the same isn't true for the IJ side and yes .. there's Niks climbing to 20k ... just because it's possible for some Allied players to. It was an arbitrary change made "to make things more fun" by reducing the options of the Allied side. Bad decision ... wrong formula. There are several Allied pac types who have said "no more" because of this. Don't let people sell you their rationalization that this was a wise decision that the CT arena will profit from. Losing players on either side with the numbers as low as the CT has is bad. But if this is really your opinion and you're sticking with it, what can I say? none-the-less.

I still say the CT CM staff needs to pull their heads out when it somes to the Slot. *ShruG* :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 07:07:13 PM by Arlo »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2003, 07:44:09 PM »
No apologies necessary, Arlo.   No harm, no foul.

I still don't quite get the problem you have with the new front, though.   From my point of view, the fights are still 5 minutes away, generally between 12K and sea level, and either over the IJ base or the Allied base, or somewhere in between (except last night there were two fights - one where the Allies were attacking a IJ fleet, and the other in the more traditional lanes between the closest opposing bases).    And as I saw, it was still possible
for the Allies who wanted to take the time and climb to nosebleed alts before heading to the fight.   When they come in high, I just gotta dodge 'em and drag them down.

Of course, just because I don't see the problem doesn't mean one doesn't exist.   I thought there was a little more variety possible with the latest front change, since the IJ could up from 2 bases instead of one, but I can also see how too much tinkering by the CMs during the setup could be viewed negatively.   Nobody tried to sell me anything - I logged on saw the new front, and just figured someone had done some base capturing in the off hours...

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2003, 02:19:28 AM »
Geez, you guys *think* of all this base capture thing when you take off? No wonder you're not having fun Arlo ;)

Just shoot the red guy, you'll see... it's fun!
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2003, 05:54:53 AM »
Shooting the red guy is fun. :D I was told bases can't be captured on this map unless the CM helps. ;)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Booooorrrrriiiinnnngggg
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2003, 07:24:28 AM »
Also, my apologies to the CT staffers for continually referring to them as CMs.    Old dog and all that rot.

toodles