Author Topic: Foul Language in AH :(  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Foul Language in AH :(
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2000, 10:11:00 PM »

Originally posted by CavemanJ:
Carlin Filter eh
hmmm.. put it on the client end instead of the server, and let the user create a custom list of unacceptable words.  These words are then replaced with **** in the buffer, all work done on the client side..

HT, PYRO.........

Is it "do-able"?

I like this solution. It is solely based on my personal standards of behavior and no one else will even know that I have done it.

Seems to fill any need on the "language" question.

...and then if I could have "persistent squelch" that remains until I change it. That way I can just squelch the guys that fill my buffer with "*****************"

Seriously, both of these things would improve the game more for me than even an Bearcat!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2000, 10:43:00 PM »
I thinks its so inappropriate that 5 years olds should be exposed to such fowl language while the parents teach them the merits of spraying C47s with 20mm and chute shooting.

p.s. I showed my 6 year old nephew the Ostwind guns and now he wants a 37mm for his birthday, anyone know where I can pick one up cheap?

<sarcasm mode off>
I hope you guys boycott the gun-shops that don't cater to smaller hands...

Offline llbm_MOL

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2000, 11:40:00 PM »
Just dont get mad cuase no one called your six! thats much worse than cussing

LLB OUT!!!!!!!!! heheheheheeh u know what I mean.......

Offline Dusky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2000, 02:07:00 AM »
IMO every man (and woman) could do without cursing on common channel. It seems so futile to shout F*ck on ch1... it just lets everyone else know that you are pissed of something.. some people will get offended by the language and there will build another word war.

Offline Dusky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2000, 02:09:00 AM »
IMO every man (and woman) could do without cursing on common channel. It seems so futile to shout F*ck on ch1... it just lets everyone else know that you are pissed of something.. some people will get offended by the language and there will build another word war. As someone said.. its a grown up sim, grown ups can live without swearing.. no matter how pissed they are.

Dusk

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2000, 04:52:00 AM »
Apeman:

I have a .wav file of the engagement between American F-14's and Libyan MiG's.

Check it out. After a while, the intensity of the combat is so thick ya can chew on it. You can hear one RIO screaming "SHOOT HIM FOX 2!" and the pilot returns "I DON'T HAVE A diddlyING TONE!". Think you can hear the dreaded f word three times.

Maybe he should have cranked up the volume on that Sidewinder tone thingy.

You can find the wav file here, it's a big file, 7 megs or so, 6.09 time total. Interesting listening: http://www.geocities.com/stsantasatan/F14COMBT.WAV

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2000, 06:06:00 AM »
Did they squelch him ?

[This message has been edited by Staga (edited 09-19-2000).]

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2000, 06:40:00 AM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
Apeman:

I have a .wav file of the engagement between American F-14's and Libyan MiG's.

Check it out. After a while, the intensity of the combat is so thick ya can chew on it. You can hear one RIO screaming "SHOOT HIM FOX 2!" and the pilot returns "I DON'T HAVE A diddlyING TONE!". Think you can hear the dreaded f word three times.

Maybe he should have cranked up the volume on that Sidewinder tone thingy.

You can find the wav file here, it's a big file, 7 megs or so, 6.09 time total. Interesting listening: http://www.geocities.com/stsantasatan/F14COMBT.WAV

StSanta, at the time he uttered that he was intercom and not broadcasting to the whole world, only to his pilot.  Big Difference.

Cobra

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2000, 07:08:00 AM »
Cobra, I was responding to:

you don't swear on military radios...you don't

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again"

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2000, 07:38:00 AM »
StSanta,
I know.  And he did not say it over an open frequency, only on his internal intercom. Again, thats a big difference.  So I don't believe he said those words on a military open frequency.  Splitting hairs here, I know, but don't hold that up to refudiate Ape's original statement.

The FAA also frowns upon vulgar language.  If you ever swear over an open ATC or Tower Frequency, don't ever give your N number!

And lets face it, the issue here is vulgarity and showing respect and restraint.  Its not about freedom of this, or kids watching that, or we are adults so that means we have the privelege to act like juveniles, or we are emotional and that gives the excuse or intolerance regarding this.  And even though you are setting in the privacy of your home (or office, hehe) you are still interacting in a public setting.  To most that may mean something, to others probably doesn't mean anything.

Cobra

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2000, 08:12:00 AM »
 Perfect. There ya go! Use VOX when swearing. Not text.

-Westy

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2000, 08:25:00 AM »
I can understand someone swearing in frustration or anger (shucks, I do), but it amazes me when they take the time to TYPE it.  Seems sorta stoopid.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

skeet

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2000, 08:28:00 PM »

Originally posted by Apeman:
Actually, those who swear while online are being about as realistic as the flight model in the game "Blue Max". You don't swear on military radios...you don't, you don't. It hampers communications, it doesn't pass any information, it wastes times, and it isn't professional. They didn't do it in WWII and they rarely do it now...and those that do certainly hear about it.

Ape

?????????????????????????
I can't let the last part of this go by: This has to be one of the most absurd statements I've ever read. They didn't do it in WWII??
Apart from *easily* refuting this (eg. Douglas Bader was told off (<--Correction they turned of the broadcast so the WAAF's couldn't hear it - skeet) because the WAAF's plotting intercepts could hear his quote 'ripe' language), are you *seriously* suggesting that *no-one* *ever* got stressed enough to swear on the radio? Not even an eensy weensy bit?

<goes away shaking his head>

Yeah right ...

(Oh, for the terminally unable to understand plain english, the above doesn't defend it).

------------------
skeet - out
Aces High - Fight Stimulator

[This message has been edited by skeet (edited 09-21-2000).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2000, 08:42:00 PM »
Strange.. I've seen more swearing in a thread about/against swearing than I've seen in the arena all month.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2000, 11:46:00 PM »
I hear ya cobra  

Just kind of telling wha happens in actual combat  

Or on JG54 rw channel:

"OOOOAWW <10 seconds of static> OOOOAAAAAAAAAAARG
SCHEISSE!" - Mojack

"AAAAAAAAAAAAFFAAACK!" - Kirin

"This dude is running lo...aaawFACKFACKFACK" - StSanta

------------------