Author Topic: Foul Language in AH :(  (Read 1079 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Foul Language in AH :(
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2000, 05:15:00 PM »
I serve your country too, rip.

You need an enemy, now come get some.

eagl, did ya hear the wav where F-14's engage Libyan MiG's? Three kegs there, no doubt  .

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 09-21-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2000, 06:56:00 PM »
Oh, my...what a mess...

wow...

Let's say I really share StSanta's position in this post...

And to start this thread because kids watching AH running...oh well...when you turn the PC off and go to watch TV I'm sure you squelch the bad language there

hehe...sorry but I can only feel amazed by the lack of coherence in some people's arguments.

Said that, I used to jump on people a lot of time (coward, HO dweeb,etc), but rarely you'll hear (read) me saying bad words. It has happened 2 or 3 times, and one of them was that big error with the "nazi" thing.

Still I find this funny from a point of view and incredible from the other.

I can't see how a F word can hurt a kid too much, still I see clearly how does a violent image on TV, or weapon-liking society, damage Kid's morale from very young ages.

But of course this is a simple opinion from a 22 year old ignoratn  

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2000, 07:15:00 PM »
There has to be somekind of cultural wall between Europeans and Americans ?

Open TV and you'll see/hear about war, murders, blood, violence etc... Same with newspaper and radio.

You know; Real life (tm) really sucks.
There's no such a thing like "Perfect world"; Better be accustomed with that.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2000, 08:25:00 PM »
You're right, Staga. There is a wall.

Some of the people here are talking about the words. Others are talking about respect. Whether or not a tirade contains vulgar words is secondary to the ill-intent of the message.

You don't want to be called a nazi (though in my culture that isn't a vulgar word). We (Americans) typically don't want the buffer to be filled with vulgarity. You may not understand it, but it is clearly the desire of most people to not have to see it. In that manner you are disrespecting any individual who states they have a problem with it if you make light of the concern.

See, no kids in the argument!  

I can't explain the craziness of Americans; still, we are no more crazy than any other nation. Many of us have made you aware of our societal taboo with vulgarity. Whether or not you choose to respect it is up to you, but it is insensitive to say "get used to it".

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2000, 09:13:00 AM »
Yikes!

FYI, I'm "eagl", not "eagler" or any other "eagle_" ident combo.  I've been "eagl" since early WB.

Ok, please continue discussing  

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2000, 10:16:00 AM »
Kieren,

You don't want to be called a nazi..
Heh...
I really dont care if somebody wants to call me a Nazi... (which I'm not btw... ).
In fact few years ago some of our workers (I'm their overseer) called me like that but like my friend say "You can't please them all".

Too long story (broken bones,almost lost my left eye etc... ) to tell but guess I have enough self esteem to be invulnerable to words  

Staga
(our slang word for (baseball)Bat,Stuff,Stick  )

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2000, 05:11:00 PM »
Been out of town, interesting how this thread has developed.

For those that defend "their right to swear anytime, anywhere and in front of anyone" they please, I wonder this:

Would you care to post your Mothers/Wifes/Daughters phone number in this thread so everyone would feel free to call them and exercise their same rights?

Swear all you want, I dont care, heck, stand in your home and scream out all the swear words you want.  All I ask is this, is it really necessary to type it into the buffer in AH?  What you do by that act is force that language into our view, into our game, and into our homes.  Where do your rights end and ours begin?

Oh, to those that might argue "everyone uses the phone but AH is for adults, not kids", I suspect if you did some research, you would find telephones were originally considered to be communications tools for adults, not play things for kids.

I personally dont care if you type shxt, damx, and such things to much.  Its really words with a stronger connotation like fxxx  that I think the game could do without.

Dago  

As defined in the dictionary-  (dago - a person of Spanish, Portugese or Italian descent)
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Major Tom

• Zinc Member
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2000, 02:50:00 AM »
Fellow squadies singing disco music on the JG2 RW freq is fowl language...of sorts  

Seriously, I don't give a damn any of you guys swear.  If you Eurotypes don't like it, don't read it and don't respond to it.

On a side note I've never heard anyone swear up there where the air is rare.  The little transmit button is just funny that way, it makes you think twice.

I hate to say it, but if you want to cut down on swearing you need to make everyone buy a boxed version of Aces High, in the box you can put an electronic breathalyzer that'll plug into everyone’s serial port.  If your BAC goes above .04% (7.0% for Germans and Russians), no Main Arena for you!

Boy am I going to get flamed for suggesting that...

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2000, 03:05:00 AM »
Thanks alot amazinhunks

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2000, 08:00:00 AM »
 Look like some folks got thier nuts cut off.  If swearing helps you feel like a man then do it for real. Go to your local pub/lounge/dance hall, walk around spouting your words of 'manhood' and stand by as all the single women looking for 'real' men gravitate toward you.

-Westy

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2000, 08:10:00 AM »

Originally posted by eagl:
Yikes!

FYI, I'm "eagl", not "eagler" or any other "eagle_" ident combo.  I've been "eagl" since early WB.

Ok, please continue discussing  

Pffft! Yeah right! I'm SOOO sure! The next thing you'll be telling us is that you got the name "eagl" because you used to fly f15's.  Yeah that's the ticket!

Udie

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2000, 06:47:00 PM »
 If your BAC goes above .04% (7.0% for Germans and Russians), no Main Arena for you!

Boy am I going to get flamed for suggesting that...

OH...MY...GOD.

Major Tom... please don't start a anti-alcohol witchhunt.

Next thing you know, professional BBS "ANALisers" will be plowing through thier thesaurus's making wildly long community enhansing suggestions on how I should live, and how booze is awful and makes yo swear.

Then there will be a set of cones you have to fly through to get to the main arena, and if you fail the sobriety course, your booted for 10 minutes.

It would cost me $30/month for HTH.

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 09-23-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2000, 09:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by JoeMud:
Thanks alot amazinhunks

Por nada, mi Amigo!  

Apeman

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2000, 09:19:00 PM »

Originally posted by skeet:
 ?????????????????????????
I can't let the last part of this go by: This has to be one of the most absurd statements I've ever read. They didn't do it in WWII??
Apart from *easily* refuting this (eg. Douglas Bader was told off (<--Correction they turned of the broadcast so the WAAF's couldn't hear it - skeet) because the WAAF's plotting intercepts could hear his quote 'ripe' language), are you *seriously* suggesting that *no-one* *ever* got stressed enough to swear on the radio? Not even an eensy weensy bit?

<goes away shaking his head>

Yeah right ...

(Oh, for the terminally unable to understand plain english, the above doesn't defend it).

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2000, 09:31:00 PM »

Originally posted by Westy:
Look like some folks got thier nuts cut off.  If swearing helps you feel like a man then do it for real. Go to your local pub/lounge/dance hall, walk around spouting your words of 'manhood' and stand by as all the single women looking for 'real' men gravitate toward you.

-Westy

Yeah, what he said.  

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
Luftjägerkorps