Author Topic: Why The Furball Is Fun For Me  (Read 918 times)

Offline Vipermann

• Nickel Member
Why The Furball Is Fun For Me
« on: May 28, 2003, 08:29:57 AM »
In the beginning I used to always load up a fighter with bombs and rockets and head over to a base to hit some strat targets, but more and more I've found the joy of the furball to be very compelling. Below are links to 2 sorties in furballs, both a lot of fun.

Sortie 1

Sortie 2
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 08:32:06 AM by Vipermann »
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dieing

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 09:14:41 AM »
Originally posted by Oedipus
"Why The Furball Is Fun For Me"

The furball (aka dogfight) is fun for me because the targets tend to defend themselves.

lol! Right on the money.

Poopy and I are winging together last night as per our usual. We each spy our first targets for the night...in we go. I pop a tiffy, he nails an La7 about a second later. Poop says "How can this NOT be fun?"

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 02:25:31 AM »
Originally posted by Apache
Poopy and I are winging together last night as per our usual. We each spy our first targets for the night...in we go. I pop a tiffy, he nails an La7 about a second later. Poop says "How can this NOT be fun?"
Two 15 year old boys are whacking off behind the school bicycle sheds. One says to the other "How can this NOT be fun?". Indeed, but most boys grow out of this and then discover that there ARE better things. It just takes some boys half their lives to find out. And the moral of the story? What we've always known - All furballers are bananas. Muhahahahahaha! :p

Just kidding, guys, just kidding. ;)  Furball all you want.

I am always interested to see 109 films, and appreciate all the info I can get. Urchin has come up with some great stuff, and Grunherz has supplied an impressive 13 victory film. We hear a lot of talk about how the 109 "dictates the fight" etc., but as I look over my own stats for the past 3-4 tours, I see that I generally get killed by 109s only once or twice each tour. Not very impressive for a plane that supposedly dictates the terms of a fight. The exception was tour 39 in which I was killed by a 109G10 10 times - more than any other fighter! I think I must have been gangbanged or vulched. In any event, tour 39 was just a blip of the statistics.

In tour 36 I got 140 kills in a G10, and 37 deaths, so almost 4-1. Even so, I've never been fully comfortable with 109s. It always feels as if I'm flying someone else's plane.

Looks like Viper was carrying gondolas in the first film, a sortie in which he got 5-6 kills. Yep, not unlike one of my own 109G10 sorties. I don't see the G10 as much of a 1v1 plane; its elevator is just too damn sluggish. Viper knows this: At time 5:26 into the first film, Viper is chasing down a 110. It makes a break turn to the left, and Viper wisely aborts the pursuit and avoids wasting E. This one situation amply demonstrates all three of the 109G10's major weaknesses in the space of a few seconds: Roll rate too slow, elevator too sluggish, and lack of ability to get deflection shot on target. If instead of a 109G10 Viper had been in an F4U, he could have rolled hard and fast, pulled through with the elevator to position the pipper just above the target, and got a wide angle deflection shot. But like Viper, I'm finding that those 109Gs are good sneak planes, and good for chasing/zooming up on targets that are themselves zooming up. The 109G10 is so good at this that even I was once able to kill a 163 just like that. Pepino. :)

I think I'll make a cup of tea, and then sit back to watch Viper's second film. :)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Just watched Vip's 2nd film
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 03:04:04 AM »
...and I have to say that the first film was better. Film 2 is just a numerical supremacy smashdown and vulchfest whose outcome is the usual wine glass being dropped onto a stone floor from a height of 10 feet, by which I refer to the inevitable outcome. I got bored after 6 minutes when I realised there was another 21 minutes of this to sit through, and hit FF to get to the end - nice - 11 kills in 27 minutes, but look at the numbers! Knits up the Wazoo, with Bish in penny numbers. I couldn't help noticing one of Vip's squadmates making the observation that they deserved to lose the map because of a lack of teamwork.

I can only assume that Vip lives on America's west coast. I don't think I've ever seen such numbers in a furball. You won't see that in Euopean daytime/Australian prime time.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 08:37:28 AM »
back in that free month what i did was head over to a base with some bombs do a bit of damage then fly off and join the usually near by furball...

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 09:02:40 AM »
some people like to spend all their time helping their country "win' the war.   Most are bright enough that they eventually realize that this is pointless and builds very little skill..  the average person figures out that the furball is the only meaningful part of a game that goes on 24/7 with resets and no start or stop point.

I would day that the average bright guy with normal tolerance for boredom figures this out in 3-8 months... slow witted and highly boredom tolerant figure it out in about 1-2 years.   Very stubborn guys... say on a par with those still in WB.. will painfully defend strat for up to 3 years or, in rare cases, even longer.   Mommas boys may never leave the strat model womb.
lazs

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 09:30:27 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
All furballers are bananas. Muhahahahahaha! :p

Now if I sipped my coffee out of a little tiny cup, I would have made a mess..

Thats a paragraph to start the day off with.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Lacks
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 09:47:34 AM »
I have four words for that little diatribe:  

Attention Defecit/Hyperactivity Disorder.

Enjoy your thumb candy.  We slow-witted boredom tolerant types will continue to play the thinking man's game.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 10:08:32 AM »
beet1e, you mean I was supposed to stop?! No wonder I wear glasses.

BTW, ever been caught whacking off in the closet?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 10:39:56 AM »
Nopoop/Apache - ROFL!  Glad you took my remarks in the good humour in which they were intended. I've always liked you guys. :D

Offline Vipermann

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 11:05:38 AM »
ROFL

I can see it now, the new FOX special, "When Tool Sheds Attack"
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dieing

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 11:13:17 AM »
Well, here's one small example. We Bish held A9 and V10, but they were vulnerable to attack and difficult to defend. We decided that it would be good to capture Rook P7, and then whack the Rook CV which, I believe, would respawn as a Bish CV if I understand it correctly. We would then be able to take that CV on a tour of Rook fields to the west - lots of CV battles, if you like that sort of thing. Unfortunately, a suicide CV porker porked the CV before we were ready. Progress was slow at P7 - I got killed twice by ferocious ack. Problem was then that the CV spawned as Rook, and came right for A9. :(  Later on, V10 was under attack. We didn't want to lose it because from V10 we could attack A9, should it fall. So a few of us upped fighters to get to V10 to try to save it. We ran into a 109G10, a P38 and an LA7 who were all there to hunt the goon hunters. Fortunately we had SOME ground cover - Flossy in a FLAK. I put a big hole in the LA7, and then chased it around for many minutes - could hardly see it because of all the oil smoke. The 109 and P38 were both dead by then, so I concentrated on the LA7. With all cannon rounds gone from my 109G2, I had BBs left (13mm?- can never remember). LA7 stickjerked his way in front of me, and I just couldn't get a sustained burst on him. Messed him up enough, ran out of fuel and ditched just as the 109G10 was returning. By that time the VH was due up, so mission accomplished. An entertaining session. I was amazed at how long the LA7 survived with a busted engine.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 11:16:02 AM »
LOL you guys crack me up.  Keep them coming!!!

I must say this game is very impressive.  It is amazing how many times I find myself in a situation, dirt pounding or furballing, and recognize it as very if not exactly similar to actual gun camera footage from WWII.  

I guess as long as there are humans there will be "right wing" and "left wing" individuals accordingly.  Thank god I am one of those people who enjoy a choice - even though I furball most of the time and hope I never get bored lining some one up in my sights and blasting his plane to toejam - I also enjoy a good well planned, well thought out Dirt pounding base capture.

So to the Furballers and check your six often maybe you'll see me coming maybe it'll be too late.

As for the dirt pounders - keep em coming - the only thing boring about this game is nothing to shoot at.

mars01 - XO MAW Blacksheep

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 12:29:01 PM »
Funny, those cons at V10 climbed awfully well, considering they were made from stone... :confused:

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 12:55:39 PM »
"slow witted and highly boredom tolerant figure it out in about 1-2 years"

Lazs ... don't know if I am "slow witted" but probably "highly boredom tolerant"

but as Mars01 said ... a well planned NOE mission can get the blood pumpin', but most of the time its "The Fight" that I crave.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."