Author Topic: First Flying Lesson  (Read 647 times)

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2003, 09:17:23 AM »
Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy
The T6 is a "2.5 turn" when you stall it uncoordinated ... the pony is "4.5 turns":D  ... anyway, both of them kill you if you stall in the traffic patern (what a concept:rolleyes:.)

I've also done spins and enjoy them immensley because I knew they were coming.  Once I snapped into inverted flight though, and IP had to take over.  That wasn't any fun but was a great learning experience that led us into approach turn stalls.  Approach turn stalls are the most dangerous and are very easy to get into when on theback side of the power curve and if you forget the power = altitude, nose = speed rule.  Low, slow, high bank and AOA, trying to stretch the glide instead of adding power, low wing will snap roll inverted if in left hand bank.  :eek: Usually too low to recover.  I've practiced them at 10,000.  If in righthand bank, harder to do, due to opposite torque, won't go inverted but you'll easily hit 90 degrees of bank.

Stall recovery is what I spent most time on and very glad I did.  It made slo-flight a breeze and landings are greasers.  It's not really uncontrolled flight because you put it into the spin (they are right, you really have to work at it to get most trainers to spin) and you learn how to recognize the spin and what to do take it out.  Spin practice will prepare you for the unintentional stall or spin situation but it really gives you a better command of the air craft in all flight regimes.

Best of luck to ya' XNachoX. :cool:  And, if you think you've got a death grip now, JUST WAIT TILL YOU SOLO.  It's a true blast, and you concentrate so hard that when it's over, you'll swear your fingerprints are embedded in the yoke.  One word of advice.  Fly paranoid all the time.  It will become a safe habit and will serve you for many years.

:D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 09:20:00 AM by Syzygyone »

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2003, 11:38:17 AM »
Great video cyrano!!!!

I'm going to go out and do some today, after watching that 8).

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2003, 11:58:43 AM »
Originally posted by mars01

LOL  Lepaul, I hear ya on the time - I lease back a - you guessed it 152 - so I see a lot of students.  I see a lot of people that do their training in dribs and drabs and they spend twice as much because it took them twice as long.  They have to keep relearning previous lessons and regain their confidence as well.  
Best bet to finish as inexpensively as possible, save the 5k up front so you can blow right through and not lose anything to long breaks in between.  

You're right in that regard....I meant if you have the license and try to maintain such an agressive regiment.  Beleive me, I'd love to.

I tell friends who inquire to save up $5k and do it all, no delays and such.  If you are going to do it, doit right, not in itty bitty pieces.  It took me a long time bussing and waiting tables to finally get my license at age 20 (started at 13).

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2003, 04:34:45 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Try spinning a T-6, then you will truly learn why aircraft are placarded with DO NOT INTENTIONALLY SPIN THIS AIRCRAFT!

I was riding backseat in a T-6 with an experienced pilot attempting his first loop in one. A bit tricky here with GL at 6k. He burned a bit too much E in the pitch-up and we got some pre-stall buffeting at the top. Gets the ol' adrenaline pumping when ya feel "speed bumps" inverted!! It was quite a relief to watch the nose pull through and head straight down the backside.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2003, 08:05:10 PM »
Arfann,

You are one lucky pup, T-6 does not often give many "bumps" before stalling, usually it just departs and you pray it is coordinated if it does.  When I fly, I have one eye glued to the airspeed indicator anytime I get below 100 IAS.  I have been in one unintentional spin in that aircraft, and I can say that it still gives me the willeys when I hop back in the seat of one today.  That airplane, the T-6 / SNJ / Harvard is / was designed as one of the toughest aircraft to fly, and one you damn well better respect if you do fly it, otherwise, it will simply make you dead.

to the high time T-6 pilots out there.  You really earned your wings.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2003, 10:34:18 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Arfann,

You are one lucky pup, T-6 does not often give many "bumps" before stalling, usually it just departs and you pray it is coordinated if it does.  When I fly, I have one eye glued to the airspeed indicator anytime I get below 100 IAS.  I have been in one unintentional spin in that aircraft, and I can say that it still gives me the willeys when I hop back in the seat of one today.  That airplane, the T-6 / SNJ / Harvard is / was designed as one of the toughest aircraft to fly, and one you damn well better respect if you do fly it, otherwise, it will simply make you dead.

to the high time T-6 pilots out there.  You really earned your wings.

The pilot I was riding with is relatively low time in the 6, but retired AF (F-15 driver) and current AL pilot. I trust him implicitly, but that was the only time in 6 years of riding with these guys I've actually done a mental ck list of bail out procedure "just in case".

As for the skill necessary to fly the 6, the old timers I've met have said it was the last stage of trainer before hopping in the 51, 38, 40 etc., and after the AT-6 the others were easy by comparison.