Author Topic: First Flying Lesson  (Read 653 times)

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
First Flying Lesson
« on: June 09, 2003, 05:40:54 PM »
Oh man!  I loved it!  My instructor went over the usual stuff about meetings etc, then we went up and flew around.  He let me take off by myself, fly around, etc. and then let me get down to about the last 100 ft. before we landed before he took over because of a 15 kt. crosswind...phew!  I love flying :D.  Aces High is nothing like the real thing, but he said I did really well for my first time and that I had a good feel for it, so I guess it's not so bad.  My hand's cramped.  Gotta....Work that out.
S!

Misty tales and poems lost
All the bliss and beauty will be gone
Will my weary soul find release for a while
At the moment of death I will smile
It's the triumph of shame and disease
In the end Iliad

4,/JG 53

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 05:45:40 PM »
any kills?

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 05:50:38 PM »
Spotted a Citation taking off on the runway and was preparing to vulch, I was looking for the radio comm bar to taunt him, but it was nowhere to be found. :confused: :confused:

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 06:04:25 PM »
wtg nacho!  It'll be a few years before I have the cash to get up myself, but I will Definitely be flying some day :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 06:13:43 PM »
What do you mean your hands cramped?

No death grip on the yoke!!!!!!!!

Trim the aircraft and fly with you thumb and pointer maybe your middle finger too.  more than that is too much death grip.

I have about 300 hours on my pp lic.  

Some tips:

Make your goal to fly at least twicve a week, never go a full two weeks without flying.

After your solo force yourself to fly solo at least once a week.

Get the Gliem test prep cd for your written.

Do your stall training in a 152 not a warrior.  The 152 has a tendency to drop a wing and spin.  Once you understand how to prevent this and or get yourself out of it you will be better prepared and safer.  If you hear different, after you have done stall training in a warrior go up in a 152 with your instructor and see if you can stall it without a spin.  If your instructor won't do spins get a new instructor.

I did all my flight training in a 152 because of this.  The transition to a warrior was  non issue.

Good luck and don’t stop till your done!!!

mars01 MAW Blacksheep, XO

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 06:22:17 PM »
Mars if I took the flying frequncy advice, I'd be in bankruptcy  :)

I havent flown for a year, before that, i was flying twice a month

Is your employer hiring  :p

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 07:26:26 PM »
Hey Mars, pilot question

how often do private planes go into spins? I've seen billions of planes over the city and never heard of nor seen one do spin recovery.

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2003, 07:49:11 PM »
If I may step in...

Cessna 152s do gentle spins and tend to recover by themselves. Most planes just enter what's called a descending spiral in which only one wing is stalling.

You have to remember we are talking about planes that are used for instruction.

I think you have to go into old planes or those hanging on the edge of flight envelope (Cirrus comes to mind) in order to get a semi-nasty spin.

Daniel

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 09:43:36 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
What do you mean your hands cramped?

No death grip on the yoke!!!!!!!!

Trim the aircraft and fly with you thumb and pointer maybe your middle finger too.  more than that is too much death grip.

I have about 300 hours on my pp lic.  

Some tips:

Make your goal to fly at least twicve a week, never go a full two weeks without flying.

After your solo force yourself to fly solo at least once a week.

Get the Gliem test prep cd for your written.

Do your stall training in a 152 not a warrior.  The 152 has a tendency to drop a wing and spin.  Once you understand how to prevent this and or get yourself out of it you will be better prepared and safer.  If you hear different, after you have done stall training in a warrior go up in a 152 with your instructor and see if you can stall it without a spin.  If your instructor won't do spins get a new instructor.

I did all my flight training in a 152 because of this.  The transition to a warrior was  non issue.

Good luck and don’t stop till your done!!!

mars01 MAW Blacksheep, XO

Ya, he told me to be light with the yoke, but jeez.  I was kind of nervous :).  flew by stone mountain, kennesaw mountain, etc.  was really fun.  Thanks for the tip about the prep CD thing.  Will come in handy when I need it.  S!

Edit: We're flying a warrior II, and I like it.  Has a nice, simple layout and is fun to fly, but I'll be damned if the wind doesn't just blow it everywhere in the sky!

Btw thanks for all the kind words guys :)

Misty tales and poems lost
All the bliss and beauty will be gone
Will my weary soul find release for a while
At the moment of death I will smile
It's the triumph of shame and disease
In the end Iliad

4,/JG 53
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 09:47:49 PM by XNachoX »

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 09:44:58 PM »
congrats xnachox :)

I just restarted flying training myself, after 3 dry years, with only 2 instances where I got to actually control an aircraft. I had to start from the basics, and the first flight was pretty confusing.
 mars01s advices seem sound to me.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 10:17:07 PM »
Try spinning a T-6, then you will truly learn why aircraft are placarded with DO NOT INTENTIONALLY SPIN THIS AIRCRAFT!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2003, 10:48:49 PM »
I remember my first and only flight lesson!  what a rush! (over 10 yrs ago...)

WHen finances permit I will start again.

SKurj

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2003, 01:21:38 AM »
Disclaimer - By no way were my tips intended to be taken as law!  Just tips.

Hey Nacho lol, I know how it is.  I take a lot of people up and let them fly and they all, always have the death grip the first time lol.  SO I say that in seriousness but with jest as well since everyone starts that way, myself included.  I agree the warrior is a great plane, just beware if you ever fly a high wing airplane do some stalls and spins first with an instructor.  It is noticably different and it will make you a safer pilot and that is whats really important.

LOL  Lepaul, I hear ya on the time - I lease back a - you guessed it 152 - so I see a lot of students.  I see a lot of people that do their training in dribs and drabs and they spend twice as much because it took them twice as long.  They have to keep relearning previous lessons and regain their confidence as well.  
Best bet to finish as inexpensively as possible, save the 5k up front so you can blow right through and not lose anything to long breaks in between.  

Yeah Hawk planes don't go into spins - Ask JFK Junior.  I agree it doesn't happen frequently, but you only get one chance up there and the more you have been through in training the better prepared you will be if it all falls apart.  On your private pilot check ride you are required to demonstrate stall recovery.  Therefore after a student solos they should practice recovering from stalls.  Well since a bad stall recovery can send you into a spin YA I THINK A STUDENT SHOULD BE ABLE TO RECOVER FROM A SPIN, even if planes don’t go into spins every day.  BTW they are fun as cheese to do!!!

Cyrano - I didn't say you need to have a nasty spin, you just need to be able to spin and train for it, safely.  A warrior doesn't even really stall, it just mushes through.  Yeah if you could get a nice shiny new 152 it would stall and spin like a dream - now take the average flight school 152 with 4000+ hours on it, most are 6000 or more- nuff said.  Also I'll assume that you have training if not a license (Otherwise no you shouldn't step in lol) You may have forgotten that the first time you ever do a spin is quite thrilling especially for a new student, even if it is a gentle spinning aircraft.  That’s if you are lucky enough to have an instructor that is not afraid to do them ;)

Bodhi, I would love to fly a T6 let alone spin it lol.  Someday....

Mars01 MAW Blacksheep, XO

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2003, 01:50:11 AM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Try spinning a T-6, then you will truly learn why aircraft are placarded with DO NOT INTENTIONALLY SPIN THIS AIRCRAFT!

The T6 is a "2.5 turn" when you stall it uncoordinated ... the pony is "4.5 turns":D  ... anyway, both of them kill you if you stall in the traffic patern (what a concept:rolleyes:.)

The Mooney is a 4 ... 4.5 turn (about 1000 a rotation) ... student caught me sleeping, ty for the manual who says :"Stall no lower than 6,500):D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 01:52:27 AM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
First Flying Lesson
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2003, 02:10:21 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
Disclaimer - By no way were my tips intended to be taken as law!  Just tips.
Cyrano - I didn't say you need to have a nasty spin, you just need to be able to spin and train for it, safely.  A warrior doesn't even really stall, it just mushes through.  Yeah if you could get a nice shiny new 152 it would stall and spin like a dream - now take the average flight school 152 with 4000+ hours on it, most are 6000 or more- nuff said.  Also I'll assume that you have training if not a license (Otherwise no you shouldn't step in lol) You may have forgotten that the first time you ever do a spin is quite thrilling especially for a new student, even if it is a gentle spinning aircraft.  That’s if you are lucky enough to have an instructor that is not afraid to do them ;)
Mars01 MAW Blacksheep, XO

Hiya there Mars01 :)

Yes you guessed it right. PPL here with SE/ME and learning aerobatics.

Here in the school of the club where I fly, they usually don't let you spin a school aircraft, although some instructors teach you without the school manager knowing :)

I learnt to recover from a spin in an aerobatic trainer (CAP10B). I think that's the safest way, since these planes are intended for that (after all a spin is an aerobatic maneouver ;) )

I posted this video sometime ago, it's one of my first spins (3 rotations).

http://casal.upc.es/danig27/barrena.wmv

Regards,

Daniel