Author Topic: Unperk F4U-4!  (Read 1504 times)

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2003, 06:53:53 AM »
Id like to be the first one to say...

perk the la7 :D :D

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2003, 06:54:28 AM »
Originally posted by swoopy

if u move to knights u get cheap planes all the time:D

Dang! Country (should I say "Chess Piece"?;)) Cheat!!!....low perk price despěte Knights Arena numbers!   :D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2003, 07:14:47 AM »
Originally posted by Pepe
Leaving aside 262, I think I agree with Widewing.

SpitXIV is like a G-10 on steroids. Outclimbs anything, the vertical is absolutely awesome and, as an extra, propeller's rotation makes her better turner clockwise. This makes *really* difficult for any other fighter to follow.

I like a lot that plane, although I don't use it that much.

Regards,

Too bad a P-38 can out turn one.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2003, 08:11:41 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Too bad a P-38 can out turn one.

Ack-Ack

Who needs to turn to shoot down a P-38 in a SpitXIV?  :D

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2003, 11:32:33 AM »
Originally posted by Nifty
Leave the perks on the F4U-4 and Spit XIV, but just have the icons say F4U and SPIT.

Having said that, 1 v 1 the Bf 109G-10 is more than a match for the Spit XIV.  I'd say they are pretty evenly matched, I've flown on both sides of that in the Combat Theater and some of the best fights I've had the pleasure to enjoy.  Definitely some of the most evenly matched ones.  I've taken up the XIV in the MA once or twice.  I think I discoed both times.  It's about as untouchable as a P-51D or 109G-10 if you get on top of the fur and cherry pick.  It's a little more survivable than both if you take it into the fur (less so if you take into account the neon sign saying "forget everything else and gang me!")  I think 20 perks would be fine, only because if it was free, 9 out of 10 Spits would be the XIV, and 20% of the planes you saw would be the XIV.  Just call it a SPIT though!

I can't say I've flown the 4Hog before.  I've never flown it actually.

Yes yes change the tags. I have 10500 fighters perks that go unused because evey dweeb in the game will crash into you to kill you.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2003, 01:23:22 PM »
Originally posted by icemaw
Yes yes change the tags. I have 10500 fighters perks that go unused because evey dweeb in the game will crash into you to kill you.

I agree completly.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2003, 01:39:40 PM »

Look how well the C-Hog works, low perk cost, nobody knows what you are until you get close enough to see and by then there might be 20mm hispano in the air already.  I have no idea why they didn't do the other perk planes the same way, even to just give it a try for a while.  Only the 262 can survive with a perk tag and a somewhat aggressive style of play.  All the other perk planes simply die 10 seconds in to a swarm of HO's or they hang around picking off guys near the edge of the fight... why bother.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2003, 02:14:25 PM »
I was going to take an F6F-5 up one day and accidently misclicked at the hangar and it didn't really sink in until I had taken off.  I had selected and F4u-4.

7 kills later, I landed and thought it was rightly perked.

MiniD

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2003, 02:34:46 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
I was going to take an F6F-5 up one day and accidently misclicked at the hangar and it didn't really sink in until I had taken off.  I had selected and F4u-4.

MiniD

What were you drinking? Not noticing that you in pit of an F4U instead of the F6F? Heh.... Oh well...

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2003, 03:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D

MiniD

I did something similar with a Spit14 once....figured I was having a great night for once, scoring several kills and ran back to land.  

Oh, and yes...bookooo quantities of Bud Dry  :D

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2003, 03:21:42 PM »
first i would like to say you fellas are correct with the gamey tags on the aircraft...  but...

Think outside the box...

f4u4 is  a p51 that is carrier based with a lower internal fuel option...

same guns, near same handling...(actually f4u4 is superior at all except ludacris speed - "Dark Helmet would be proud")

Front over the nose view is superior in IMO..

More tricks can be proformed in F4u4 such as wheel brakes...  better rudder... flapping etc...

With the current tags you know  every knucklehead in the arena is going to be over aggressive in trying to down you...

use this to your advantage.  My prefered tactic is the high alt vulch... (12-20k) note there are others but this one i enjoy, lots....

Fly over enemy base and watch lemming after lemming try to climb up to you...  you have the dumb lemmings (ones who LA7 climb at 200mph ) the smart lemmings (keep their airspeed up) and the sneaky lemmings (the ones that fly away and then try to comeback to you with speed and advantage)

You would be suprised the complete lack of tactics by all three types when they get perk plane fever and error all over the place...  They ignore everything, fixation is a understatement...

Expect the headon...  one more time for the numskull impaired  EXPECT THE HEADON...  you avoid this and you have little problems..

Your F4u4 can rope with the best of them and then dive accelerate like a ton of bricks...  (exp...   some times i swtich targets when multiples are below... this really catches many with thier pants down... then extend out and climb back up to a perch... repeat.. E retetnion is awesome...)

slowly you will lose advantage and you need to leave enemy airspace...  Practice will help you here determine when is the right time....

when in doubt leave...  dont be greedy...

Rogue LA7 drag.... (just example la7 is most common at chasing you)  nothing is more pleasurable than to have some La7 finally come close to netralizing your e state....  then you employ bait and switch tactics..  you bait them by draggin them away from their buddies does not matter where or how just as long as you have the fuel to make it home safe...(some times i go deeper into enemy territory as that is the safer option....

try to maintain at least 2.0 k away from the la7 druring this process....

once safe from being bounced by multiples reverse on the rocket 7 using a low 2-4 g turn.....

The F4u4 excells at low g turns and you will whip around pretty fast with minimal e loss...  the La7 will either go passive (the stupid immelman that serves no tactical purpose) or aggressive ...  either way...  if you proform good acm  high yoyo's (my favorite using superior rudder to gain angles) you will eat the la7 alive...  if he went passive follow him up.. (f4u4 is no slouch in vert) (out angle him at top of the loop, maintain lag pursuit in process)

One thing I would  like to add, the f4u4 when on someones tail is hardly ever shaken off the saddle...  Its rudder , brakes and dive accel are exceptional... All F4's have this trait but the F4u4 doesn't get beaten down in the vert like the other F4's.

If he tries to bait you into a extended tail chase let him go...  break off on a slight tangent and watch how quickly his aggressive arse will reverse (but see you already know this and am waiting for this stupidity) another dead LA7 (insert plane of choice)...

Your only threat in the air is the tempest....  The tempest can out bleed you in a turn (hence out radii) and out accelerate you... always be wary of them.... 4 hispos can ruin your day in one erratic spray...

other than that no other plane in the air save the LA7 and tempest can hang with you...

109  = compression/elevator lock

mustang = angles fight, turn radii, rudder, brakes etc...

p38 = superior engine and speed roll you name it...

yak =  low g turns bleed the hell out of it..  no dive accel poor weapons...

Niki =  holy speed advatange batman...

nuff said on planes...

Add a wingman and the f4u4 is nearly untouchable on all levels...

One more time its carrier based...  A high end carrier based plane is just unfair when used correctly...

You guys arn't flying her right....

derserves its perk...   (now the la7 should be perked, but thats another story)

2 cents

DoctorYo

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2003, 03:46:17 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul

Oh, and yes...bookooo quantities of Bud Dry  :D

Where are you that you can still get bud dry??????
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2003, 04:02:25 PM »
La7 is easily the equal of the F4U4 down low.  Personally I think it is better, but thats just me I guess.  

Also.... a 109G10 can kill any plane in this game.  People really underestimate that plane.  Only 'fast' plane that is better than a 109G10 is the La7.  Tempest is better to, a little bit.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2003, 09:10:55 AM »
dryo is correct in the way that the late war monsters need to be flown... this makes for a very boring arena.   perk planes ruin the arena as do most of the late war planes.

The fact that you see so few perk planes in the arena is what makes em tollerable.  Anything done to encourage more perk planes in the arena lessens the arena.
lazs

Offline streetstang

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2003, 05:59:09 PM »
I agree, lose the perks for this plane..... For the type of enviorment that exists in the MA the F4U-4 is hard pressed to shine. It does offer some advantages over other planes that are some what similar in characteristics, (ie. P51-D) But they are few and far between. The plane is no greater of a threat than a spit1 if the pilot flying it does not know how to use its strengths to his advantage... Same goes for all a/c...
<> All
Jeffer