Author Topic: Windows XP Slowdown  (Read 597 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Windows XP Slowdown
« on: May 31, 2003, 03:07:01 PM »
Figured this was too significant to post in the Tech Support forum.

I occasionally install service packs and hotfixes to my XP system. I recently noticed long pauses when starting various tasks. Did a bit of research and found this: http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,4248,1039464,00.asp

I uninstalled it, so far so good.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 06:11:42 PM »
yeah, i've been noticing exactly this myself... thx for the heads up.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 07:31:56 AM »
Looks like re-issued it with a fix for the slowdown problems on Windows XP SP1 systems.

Regards,
Badger

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Re: Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 07:48:52 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Figured this was too significant to post in the Tech Support forum.

I occasionally install service packs and hotfixes to my XP system. I recently noticed long pauses when starting various tasks. Did a bit of research and found this: http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,4248,1039464,00.asp

I uninstalled it, so far so good.

I've noticed this recently, too. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to uninstall that patch and see what happens.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 11:17:34 AM »
Thanks for the update. I'm gonna wait to reinstall, see what others have to say first.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 09:42:13 AM »
Many thanks, AKIron,

I uninstalled that patch, and my pauses disappeared. It was really disconcerting because I have 1 GB of RAM, so I know I wasn't wanting for resources! :)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2003, 10:24:36 AM »
Glad to help. :)

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2003, 03:02:30 PM »
V2.0 May 28, 2003: Re-issued to advise of availability of revised Windows XP SP1 patch to correct performance issues

"Why has Microsoft reissued this bulletin?

Subsequent to the release of this bulletin and the associated patches, a performance related problem was identified with the Windows XP Service Pack 1 version of the patch. This problem is unrelated to the security vulnerability discussed in this bulletin, however the problem has caused some customers to notice performance degradation on Windows XP SP1 systems after applying the patch.

Microsoft has corrected this problem and re-issued this bulletin on May 28, 2003 to advise on the availability of a revised patch for Windows XP Service Pack 1."

We've now installed the Service Pack mentioned on several XP systems and for whatever reason, have been surprised to find an overall improvement in system performance.

Hope this helps someone........

Regards,

Badger

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2003, 12:49:43 AM »
Today I reinstalled the reissued security patch 811493. I'm still seeing some pausing, not nearly so bad as before but still unacceptable. Gonna remove it again.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2003, 08:18:40 AM »
Sorry to hear that.......

I assume you installed the IE Service Pack and not just the individual "new" fix.

In any event, the "MS Newgroupies" indicate that it's working fine now with the new patch, plus we're now running it ourselves on 47 XP Pro and XP Home based systems that previously experienced the "slowdown".   All seem to be working fine now.

Perhaps there's another coincidental problem with your system, or perhaps there's something going on that's non system related.  If our tech support guys can help you out, I'd be happy to connect you through to them.

Good luck....

Regards,
Badger
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 08:25:24 AM by Badger »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Windows XP Slowdown
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2003, 10:06:54 AM »
Well, maybe it was my imagination. The first one made me wary. I do use my computer a lot and am sensitive to changes. Anyhow, I have a firewall so I'm not concerned about this patch. I'll wait for SP2.

I appreciate the offer for help Badger. I'm self-employed in the network/computer support business. Since I'm my only tech I often miss being able to bounce ideas or problems off other techs. I do use various forums on the Internet but it's just not the same as in person.