Author Topic: Just out of curiosity...  (Read 2953 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2003, 08:57:17 AM »
Where are they? I have no idea...

But isnt it cool to think that somewhere on some planet at this very instant there is another group of sentient and technologically advanced life thats asking the same question about us. :D

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2003, 09:21:51 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Where are they? I have no idea...

But isnt it cool to think that somewhere on some planet at this very instant there is another group of sentient and technologically advanced life thats asking the same question about us. :D

Yeah, it's pretty damned cool.  I hope there is other life out there.

I'm just not convinced of it though.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2003, 02:37:51 PM »
So you guys don't think the aliens are here?  Visiting us already?

Naw niether do I..

(gees my bellybutton hurts this morning)
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2003, 07:15:32 PM »
Yea Collies are good dabby doo's  The girl I got her from has 4 others.One of them is a male tricoulor.Hes a beast as far as dogs go.Just freakin huge.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2003, 07:32:58 PM »
Originally posted by GrimCO
Is there another planet that somehow beat the odds? Possibly so. However, even if there were intelligent life elsewhere, it's probably so far away that it could never reach us. With over 300 billion galaxies in the Universe with 300 billion stars in each of them, where would they even know to look for us?

Its not just the planet that has to beat the odds, its the lifeforms. Taking Grim's example further, life seems to adapt to many environments (look at the bottom of the ocean, the artic wastes etc). However a lifeform needs to involve and inhabit a suitable environment to advance.

For example an Octopus might advance to a highly intelligent level, but living in water could it ever technologically advance with the ability to first create fire, then create associated tools. The evolution and development of man relies on so many factors,such as an environment which has allowed us to produce and controll chemical reactions (some as simple as having wood to burn), or developing the hand.

A waterbound planet might evolve some highly intelligent lifeforms, but they might never get past the 'fire' stage. Perhaps they might evolve along some other technological tree, but from what we know its unlikely.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2003, 08:04:17 PM »
Woof! Did you know that Lassie was a boy dog. Male dogs are better looking more photogenic. Not many people know that.

But back to the subject, Grimco's process of elimination can only lead to one conclusion.  The final number of civilizations is one: US! We are the one and only sentient life in the Galaxy.

This does allow the religious among us to bring God into the calculation however absurd and fictional that notion is. But each to his own.

The problem with this whole topic is that no matter how much evidence and scientific observation there is, some people prefer either to not think about it all or invent some spurious story that fits in with their beliefs.

But when you think about it the whole subject topples the brain's gyros.  Think about it. The universe must have existed forever in some form because if it didn't there would be nothing, not even nothing. Even in it's compressed pre big bang form it existed. If you believe in God, he had to have existed forever too and only lately (relatively) invented the whole universe notion.

Aaaaaah it's too complicated.

But of course there is no such thing as time, we humans invented it to mark the day and navigate across the oceans. No other creature is aware of it or indeed is aware of their mortality. Life and everthing else is simply a cycle of growth and decay followed by another cycle of growth and decay. We humans see ourselves as individuals and having importance in ourselves, thus deserving continued existence. So we invent a God and an afterlife and grant immortality to ourselves. In reality the only slight immortality we might have is to pass on our genes to the next generation and hope they have a better life. Even the most religious can agree that is the fate of all other living organisms. But we cannot accept that truth for ourselves because it means we have no future beyond what we see and feel right now.

If there is a God, it is the universe itself, infinite beautiful and pitiless. It created us and will destroy us in time, which of course it has no concept of.

Whew too heavy, on a lighter note. Did you know that a spinning gyro attempts to maintain it's position in space. So as the Earth moves through space it topples towards the point in space where it started spinning. Not many people know that either.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 08:12:58 PM by cpxxx »

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2003, 08:22:55 PM »
to complicated...our minds are to small to comprehend it...best not to strain yourself

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
Just out of curiosity...
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2003, 09:03:50 PM »
I just get soooooooo aggravated that I won't be around when they make huge technological advances that may enable us to travel to other stars. Right now we're still in the stone age of science, and probably barking up the wrong tree with many of our theories. The smarter we get, the dumber we figure out we really are.

We Humans are funny creatures. There's Billions of us together on the Earth here, yet in a sense, we still feel alone. I for one would like to believe the Universe is teeming with life. But I seriously doubt that's the case.

As far as God goes, I believe there is something out there that lit the fuse and set this whole mess into motion. Whatever "he" or it is, I think it has a sense of humor. Otherwise we wouldn't fart...LOL
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 09:32:48 PM by GrimCO »