Author Topic: I've had it with those horrible english...  (Read 809 times)

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
I've had it with those horrible english...
« on: June 05, 2003, 10:24:54 AM »
PEAS!

I've always hated those little buggers.  As a child, I had a fairly normal relationship with my parents.  I never considered them cruel with exception of forced consumption of english peas.  I would attempt to swallow them whole, chased with a gulp of beverage to mask any pea that might prematurely detonate near a taste bud.  Unfortunately, their time delayed cluster bomb like explosions in my stomach would later give hours of wretched english pea flavored burps.

As I've matured, I've learned to overlook the occasional english pea from any main course that might be seasoned with them.  But even adults can crack when exposed to too much of their vile presence.

Last night I'm enjoying the flaky goodness of my Pepperidge Farm chicken pot pie...the rich smell of the gravy filling me with anticipation.  I dig in with my fork and pull a tasty morsel only to see that it is terribly infested with english peas.  Normally, there is a pretty even distribution of those nasty little poison pills.  And the few that land on my fork can be overlooked as the rest of the pot pie nummies overpower their evil effects.  But last night's pie was a bit of a Poisson distribution anomaly...it was awash in green spherical land mines.  I starred down at those little green monsters...and...something snapped.  I could feel it, like HAL slowly losing his mind, I could feel rationality slipping away.  THEY HAD TO GO.

With surgical precision I proceeded to prod through my pie.  Grooming each of the unpalatable parasites and placing them a little mountainous pile.  My inspection would be thorough and complete until all those little weapons of mass destruction were accounted for and disposed of making the pie safe for consumption.

In the end my pie was cleansed of all its sins.  I breathed a sigh of relief.  My faculties began to return.  And all was well.  

However, I am thinking of starting a crusade to have english peas banned from pot pies.  All I need is a good spokesperson...maybe Sally Struthers or Martha Stewart.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 10:58:38 AM by crowMAW »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 10:33:30 AM »
Field peas are much better, particularly with a couple chunks of ham thrown in the pot for flavoring.

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
I'm with ya' Crow!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 10:36:18 AM »
I hate peas too!  Except for the chinese crunchy kind.
It was always a sore point with mom and dad when I was young.  But I stood fast!.  I dont' eat peas.  Corn, Broccolii, Asparagus, even Cauliflower. But NOT PEAS.

So, I married a woman who loves peas.  She thinks they are sweet nd delicious! So, I disect my pot pies as well and give her the peas.  It's worked well for 26 years!

:D :D :D

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 10:36:31 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Field peas are much better, particularly with a couple chunks of ham thrown in the pot for flavoring.

Mmmmm...ham

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 10:41:50 AM »
I used to hate vegetables as a kid, but now I actually like them. Except raw celery - that stuff is evil if it is consumed on its own.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 10:42:15 AM »
Man I love peas.  Mmmmm.    Sausage and mash with peas, gravy all over the mash and ketchup on the peas.

Damn I'm hungry now.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 10:44:10 AM »
I coul kill a curry. I haven't had a take-away in ages. Chicken Jalfrezi or a Bhuna.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 10:52:24 AM »
You git Dowd.   I want a lamb bhuna now.....with keema rice, keema naan, mushroom bhaji and a popadom or 7......and just to keep the peas thread going, peas aloo.  With kulfi to follow.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 11:00:01 AM »
Hehehe. I'm going to have one tonight. I'm starving already.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 11:04:35 AM »
Originally posted by Swoop
Man I love peas.  Mmmmm.    Sausage and mash with peas, gravy all over the mash and ketchup on the peas.

Damn I'm hungry now.

Naked Chef... nuff said.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 11:05:01 AM »
You know I moved south closer to work, right?  In Den Haag there's a curry house that delivers!

Only problem is.......even tho the menu says they deliver to Rijswijk they moaned blue murder on the phone, didn't wanna deliver this far out.  Food took an hour and a half, was cold when it got here......and was probably the worst curry I'd ever thrown in the bin.  :(

Aw man I miss Bristol.....the Curry Hotline.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2003, 11:05:18 AM »
I have to pea after I drink too much bear.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2003, 11:11:29 AM »
I know what you're saying. I think curry is a British thing, outside of India. Most curries in India bear little resembleance to 'English' curries - it was the immigrants who anglicized it with the different sauces.

I've never had a good curry on the continent. Tried in both France and Germany.

Why don't you learn to cook your own? It's not that hard really - you just need to prepare things before hand (the ginger and onion base etc) and get hold of the right spices.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2003, 11:18:24 AM »
Oh no there's good curry houses in Holland......just not enough.  Or that deliver.

If you're ever over then there a brilliant one called the Royal Sagar in Amstelveen.  Really nice place, and damn good curry.  Only thing is the chef is actually from Pakistan, but then he could be from Bolton for all I care, just as long as they don't forget the rice in a takeaway order again.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2003, 11:43:24 AM »
Ditto on Pea's   BAN PEA'S!!!  :D