Author Topic: Thoughts on Icons and Perk Planes  (Read 187 times)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Thoughts on Icons and Perk Planes
« on: October 12, 2001, 12:21:00 PM »
I had one of the best fighter sorties yesterday in my F4U-1D at A14.  I ended up with 9 kills with only one attributed to a proximity kill.  So I started thinking, what would have happened had I been in the 4?  Everyone knows the answer, dog pile right.  There would have been no way I could have landed that sortie with a F4U-4.  I am ready to bet good money that the attack on 14 would have been completely blown as all the Rook air force would have been trying to kill me.

I was thinking why not just get rid of the “F4U4” icon and change it to the normal “F4U” icon.  What does that do for the Tempest, 152, 262, and Arado drivers?  Nothing.  So know I’m thinking just get rid of the plane type identification all together.

Actually I’d like to see what I left in FA with all the icons having the pilots’ nic regardless of side.  After all aren’t you really flying against the pilot and not the plane anyway?  I would still like to see icons just not the plane type.  At the very minimum the chess piece and range.

Plane identification in the icon has become more a disadvantage then an advantage in my opinion.  Lets get rid of it!

Zippatuh

**Posted in game play/feedback as well (by mistake)**

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
Yeah- then instead of people piling on the plane it's the pilot they are piling on.

Everyone who has ever wanted a shot at Fester- hey he's got a big name tag over his head! Pile on!

Same with RAM, or Nash, or Funked, or Rip, or, etc (too many names- not enough time)

Basically it changes from the plane to gang raping the pilot. It also changes the way you engage the enemy, you know from 6K out who your adversary is and you can adjust your tactics as you see fit.

Some newbie and StSanta are 6K away from you, who do you attack first? Santa first, then you can easily deal with the newbie.
-SW

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2001, 12:31:00 PM »
I saw SWulfe's name the other day and immediately went for him.   Of course killshooter kicked in and I shot myself up.  ;)

SW has a very good point though.  Fester would be the #1 target, and people would run when they saw Drex.   :D
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2001, 12:36:00 PM »
Phuck...don't do that.

I'd be lucky to get off the ground!

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:

Some newbie and StSanta are 6K away from you, who do you attack first? Santa first, then you can easily deal with the newbie.

That’s a good point.  However, I would actually like to be able to size opponents up like that.

As for hunting people, well, I don’t have a problem with that either.  I just don’t believe it will happen to the extent it does to the perk rides.  

If having everyone’s nic in the icon is not palatable, how about just the chess piece and range.  Yes, I may have become more sensitive to this matter since my favorite ride has been added to the list  ;).

Zippatuh

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
actually, I'd go for chess piece and rate of closure instead of range.  Never gonna happen though.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2001, 04:54:00 AM »
It should happen imo.  How about pilot nick and range or just country icon and range selectable.

This would make the 202, ju88, typhoon etc flyable to some extent as well as give the perk planes a chance in the MA.  You would not believe how many people will gang / ho you when they see that 202, tiffie, ju88, temp etc icon.  

imo this would make the game much more enjoyable.  Why would it not be implemented?

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2001, 08:00:00 AM »
Bull...  All perk plane icons should be in bright neon pink and killshooter turned off.
lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »
In beta I believe we did have just names instead of plane type..for a short time.  :)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by lazs1:
Bull...  All perk plane icons should be in bright neon pink and killshooter turned off.
lazs

no comment... :rolleyes:

I would like to see the icon setting country + distance, in the CT at least.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2001, 08:41:00 AM »
agreed... do whatever you like in the CT.   You would think that the 6 of you "elite" "historical" "realism" buffs could come to some sort of agreement and have the best arena with the best pilots.
lazs

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
Really? Where are the 5 other guys?? I'm always alone there...
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman