Author Topic: Support for TrackIR  (Read 312 times)

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Support for TrackIR
« on: June 06, 2003, 02:42:32 PM »
http://games.naturalpoint.com/products/overview.html

Any chance of seeing this supported in future?

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Support for TrackIR
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 04:58:02 PM »
WOW ! me wants that !

btw.... i guess the sys req for that gizmo is somwhat high:eek:

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Support for TrackIR
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 05:03:25 PM »
I think it would be a great addition...if not now then when AHII releases.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Support for TrackIR
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 05:15:26 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen10
WOW ! me wants that !

btw.... i guess the sys req for that gizmo is somwhat high:eek:

Not noticed a performance hit at all, the software can be run minimized and takes up very little CPU power.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Support for TrackIR
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 05:17:03 PM »
hm.... thx Revvin..

and it costs?

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Support for TrackIR
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2003, 05:19:34 PM »
USD 129.00 - is supported by IL2 and can be used though not supported by FA - buddy has one and was thinking of coming over to AH but tried to get it working - no dice in AH.

Wait until AH confirms it's supported before buying unless you want to use it for IL FB.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Support for TrackIR
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 05:21:49 PM »
How is the response time when you move your head? instant or slight lag?

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Support for TrackIR
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 05:45:12 PM »
$129 for the unit, there is no lag it behaves much like a mouse. The optical tracker follows a reflective dot on your forehead (or on a headband attached to a headset in my case)

There are two modes to its operation, mouse emulation mode and 'trackir enhanced', the latter is the preffered way of using the device although there are not many games out there right now that support it but the Naturalpoint team were at E3 talking to a few games developers. In IL-2:FB you can use the enhanced mode and it really does make the whole sim much more immersive. I've got up in the middle of a game to get a cup of tea, sat down and the unit has still not lost the centre position so there is no re-calibration or centreing. With enhanced support you can map your top hat to something more useful because you'll never use it to change your viewpoint again! it's really intuitive to glance left or right and look out over your wing or over your shoulder or glance up and look over the frame of your canopy. The software is easy to customise and you can alter the axis of the trackir to make deadzones or set it so the pan speed increases as you get to the end of the axis. Enhanced support would be amazing for Aces High or Aces High II.

The mouse emulation mode works in Aces High now, it's pretty easy to set up although it can lose it's centre position easily if you move your head around but you can map a key to centre it to your stick and AH's mouse view mode has a certain 'dead zone' to it so accidental movements are relatively easy to avoid. Many flight sims have mouse emulation and I use my trackir playing Flanker2, Aces High, Strike Fighters and of course IL-2:FB and there are patches to add support for some older games like Grand Prix Legends and Falcon 4.0.

The trackir is easy to use and you only have to make small head movements to pan the view and as I said the software is easy to customise for pan speed. If you look at your monitor and split it into 4 equal vertical zones and label them from the left A,B,C,D...glancing slightly to the 'A' zone could perhaps give you a over the shoulder left view or left over the wing (depending on how sensitive you make it) looking at the 'B' zone might give you a forward 45 degree view etc etc .

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Support for TrackIR
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2003, 05:53:01 PM »
sounds great, ill have to get it when i get my new puter :)

atm i use a special device to adjust my views and it works great but this sounds even better

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2071&pcount=&Product_Id=107727#