Author Topic: BiPlanes and Open cockpit's  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Dr Zhivago

• Nickel Member
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 04:23:55 AM by Dr Zhivago »

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
BiPlanes and Open cockpit's
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2003, 04:43:05 AM »
Great Pic.:)

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2003, 10:51:29 AM »
P-26 :D

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2003, 11:31:32 AM »
Cajun posted only once in this thread?

That P-26 looks like a hunk of metal..
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2003, 02:29:21 PM »
hear is a pic of a Nate aka Ki 27, this plane had a canopy but was often flow without it in place so it's kinda approparate for this thread, and since were talking about China right now it would be a good fit for the time frame and Give the Hawk a run fer it's money:)

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2003, 03:18:15 PM »
I think the Claud had a max speed of 280mph and the Hawk III had a max speed of 225mph. I need to pull my books back out. Also, the Curtiss Hawk IIs were also used in combat but mostly around 1936. Mixed matched Hawks flew into 1944 but only a very few.

The US Navy stoped using them due to a severe vibration in the metal wings...the Export Hawks had wood wings.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 03:23:35 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2003, 03:54:31 PM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
I think the Claud had a max speed of 280mph and the Hawk III had a max speed of 225mph. I need to pull my books back out. Also, the Curtiss Hawk IIs were also used in combat but mostly around 1936. Mixed matched Hawks flew into 1944 but only a very few.

The US Navy stoped using them due to a severe vibration in the metal wings...the Export Hawks had wood wings.

Claude was just under 300 mph in performance, the Curtiss P-36 Hawk monoplane just a tad over same so it would be a decent matchup, but the Ki-27 ate the I-153 up (while generally considered inferior to the I-16 Rata/Mosca).

The Hawk III bipes would likely suffer the fate of the I-153s.  Anyone have any writeups Claudes vs Hawk IIIs???

Sakai
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 03:57:56 PM by Sakai »
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2003, 03:59:27 PM »
i gotta ask why are we the only ones who get excited by these aircraft?

:D

When you think about these aircraft here pictured and described theres several things that makes them desirable;

1) they have rarely if ever been modelled in any online sim or boxed sim for that matter and this means we would have a whole new era of aircraft to match against one another the (1930's types generally but used throughout WW2). we dont know which is the TnB'er or BnZ'er, which would be slowest or fastest.It would be like AH was for me in the early days, an almost total unknown.

2)their armament is so light that fights between them would last a lot longer than the cannon armed aircraft we have now.With these guns you could be caaught cold in a full burst and STILL be able to react and evade before they hit you enough.Furballs would be a dream in these!

3) They just LOOK so good! :D

I really hope HTC consider adding just a few of these open cockpit monoplanes or biplane types.>

ya never know we might get real lucky!

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2003, 04:27:42 PM »
The Claud should eat up the Hawk III but I still want it...hehehehe Shes a Buet! I would just enjoy flying it off line. On line, more than likely, I will fly the Claud :cool:

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2003, 04:36:35 PM »
Sakai, I have a few misc write ups. Nothing special but I will dig them out. I wish HTC would model the Curtiss P-6E Hawk but it never saw action...actually it never saw much more than a few airshows. Top speed was only 199mph. For those interested, check out my website at http://www.curtisshawkp6e.com 80% scale P6E HAwk as well as the GosHawk (Navy version) with a 300hp Jacobs engine.

Ernist Udet (German) had two F11C-2 Hawk IIs (Navy Goshawk) that he used (to make a long story short) for dive bombing experiments. He loved it. Several Hawk IIs were sold to Turkey....and called "Turkey Hawks"...hehehehe

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2003, 08:03:15 PM »
A4N1   219mph at 9,840
Ki-10   246mph at 13,120

Ki-27b 286 at 11,483

Ki-43-Ia 308mph at 13,120

A5M2a 265mph at 10,000 ft
A5M4   273mph at 9,840 ft

A6M2   316mph at 16,570ft
A6M5   346mph at 19,685ft

Curtiss F11C-2 or (Hawk II)
205mph at SL

Curtiss F112C-3 or (Hawk III)
240mph at SL

Curtiss P-36A Hawk
313mph at 10,000ft

Curtiss Hawk 75 (Export Fixed Gear)
280mph at 10,700ft

Curtiss P-40 WarHawk
357mph at 15,000

Grumman G-36 Martlet II
325mph at 15,500
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 08:13:04 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2003, 10:04:28 PM »
I get real excited for the same reasion's Hazed, hard to market it to the mases thought, Other than the P40's in the Flying Tiger's anything else from that Area CBI is almost compleatly unknow to the mases (in the US), let alone the War in China in the 30's or the Spanish Cival war, for Me WW2 started in the 30's in China, so including planes from that eara that actualy faught in WW2 is not to much of a streach, and as you say it would be a ton of fun to fight in them, untill of course the Claud hit you with it's 20mm cannon's:)

Adding Just the Gladator, CR 42, I-16, A5M, MC 200 and the BR 20 or Nell would add a ton of stuff to Ct and the event's guy' in terms of set up's for the war.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2003, 06:04:16 PM »
The Ultamate Open Cockpit combo,the Zueno-6, a TB-3-4AM-34RN bomber with two I-16 type 5's with two FAB-250's each:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2003, 08:03:59 PM »
Originally posted by hazed-
i gotta ask why are we the only ones who get excited by these aircraft?

:D

When you think about these aircraft here pictured and described theres several things that makes them desirable;

1) they have rarely if ever been modelled in any online sim or boxed sim for that matter and this means we would have a whole new era of aircraft to match against one another the (1930's types generally but used throughout WW2). we dont know which is the TnB'er or BnZ'er, which would be slowest or fastest.It would be like AH was for me in the early days, an almost total unknown.

2)their armament is so light that fights between them would last a lot longer than the cannon armed aircraft we have now.With these guns you could be caaught cold in a full burst and STILL be able to react and evade before they hit you enough.Furballs would be a dream in these!

3) They just LOOK so good! :D

I really hope HTC consider adding just a few of these open cockpit monoplanes or biplane types.>

ya never know we might get real lucky!

Oh, Hazed! Hehe .. I've been an advocate of it for years! Maybe it's just waiting for it's time. I hope HTC considers it soon. There's ...errr ... a different sim (or sim engine) that's working on it. I think it'll be a hit.

But I'd like to bring up one ... possibly interesting point. With there being a segment of the community that's currently fed up with there being (supposedly) less aggressive furballing going on in AH, this sounds like quite possibly the answer to their prayers. An arena dedicated to pre/early war uber bipes and slower monos. (Perk the monoplane fighters! And the Fast bombers for that matter!)

Spain
The Winter War
Sino-Russian campaign

The airbases in Spain were pretty close to each other. There were literally dozens around Madrid that changed hands alot.

And ... I'm not all that certain that you'd see too light a "punch" from these planes. Some of them had some decent guns and we're talking there being still alot of wood and fabric construction on alot of `em as well. You would see some great maneuvering dogfighters that are also pretty steady gun platforms.

And yes .... it would be something new. Which usually draws a crowd. If it's modeled well and everyone's having fun, there should be no reason for it not to retain most of those who express an interest in it.

I've been tellin' ya'll for years! Spanish Civil War! Viva Espania! ;)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2003, 03:26:50 PM »